Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Introducing: the Railway!

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to ala
Really, really great idea.

I decided to transalte my (old) transportation system, which is part of a bigger building concept I currently write.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Transport:

a) How will we get our lorry out of this lake?
b) How will we get this lorry across this valley?
c) How will we get this catapult to the frontline really fast?

Answers:
a) Rope
b) Rope
c) Rope

Inspiration: http://www.cc.striver.net/shots.php?action=sh&id=2309 - this screenshot.

The rope packs already has every possible thing we need:
Ignoring the changing landscape, a rope-way can transport objects along the map without trouble like a ski-lift. It might transport any type of vehicles from lorries to submarines with less trouble and pretty fast :)

In Additional:
-Vehicles shouldn't get stuck at every pixel anymore
-There is a baloonpack on the ccan: Inspired by this baloons might be constructed and deconstructed nearly anywhere. Also catapults might constructed fixed to a point like the catapult in tyrons snow flury. Has anyone of you seen a knight in a middle age which brought his ramms across half the country? No, they were build right before the enemies castle - transport always has been cumbersome, even in real life!
-rope winch: Might pull vehicles forceful out of trouble, could be either build or transported (beeing another vehicle).

The elevator:
Simple thought: Adjacent elevators could get brought together if wished, to construct a big elevator (like from the Clonkcenter) - this one might transport nearly everything. Another though is that elevators which are constructed above each other, might connect nicely as well.

Now there is a problem left, I'd call it short distance trouble:
Our lorry made it out of the mine, up the elevator and across the valley with the rope way... but the base is build just a bit higher, what now?

a) A number of clonks might pull the vehicle up with a rope - the rope winch vehicle could be used as well for such small hassles.
b) Bridgesegmentes might be used in diagonal ways, like in the scenario Bridgefight: http://www.cc.striver.net/shots.php?action=sh&id=2457 - deconstruct and construct them as wished to cross weird landscape forming.

Is this enough? I fear we might need another idea for short distance situations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I concepted this without the lorries in mind. But I see nowthat the systems might interact quite nicely: Mining ways would look weird in the air - and the ropeway would look weird in the mines ;)
Mining ways could be attached to the background material tunnel and used for the big systems you discussed. The ropeway could be used to cross valleys, and to transport something up a mountain.