Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic A brief history of resources

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Clonkonaut
Okay, I wanted to sum up some of the ideas which emerged in this thread:

Peter asked, of what use food is:
I will answer in my own words:
1. Food heals the eating Clonk. This is an old idea. The "magic" healing via the home base in exchange with money has to be turned off to make the effort of producing food reasonable. But even this does not push the whole idea since in an average settlement scenario you will probably one bread or so per hour. This use of food comes more or less as a gimmick.
2. We have to think of new gains from food. Producing food may be a scenario goal. I don't think the original objects have to provide exhaustive ideas. Drop the goal and let the developers later decide in which way they want to make the production of food interesting. In respect of the different complexities of production not every piece of food should be of the same worth. Since bread is the most complex product I described it should give the most food points (or whatever).
3. Food may conquer any form of hunger or vitality loss of the Clonk. I just drop Mafi's idea and furthermore assume that everyone is familiar with the mechanism of hunger in preceding titles.

Newton came up with the following changes to existing materials:
Oil should be removed since it's only good for cash and fuel. Newton suggested to use lava for fuel instead.
Coal should be hard. To mine it use the pickaxe or explosives.
Remove Crystal. Think of other magic materials (interesting materials & plants).
Remove Sulphur. Introduce a "Firestone" material instead. See Newton's post for further details.

Maikel came up with the following:
According to the corn idea, introduce cotton. Cotton will provide the player with cloth (new construction material).

AlteredARMOR remarked that a "gold ore chunk" should be called nugget.

Peter suggested two more types of power plants:
Monster generator, which needs a trapped monster to run.
Lava generator, uses lava to run, cools with water.

Matthias made some suggestion to discourage windmills.

I hope this hits the main topics of this thread. I conclude hereby that the criticism of the initial ideas was restrained. I will continue with a second thread in a short time which will base on the results of this one.