Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic A brief history of resources II

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Newton

> Yes, it mentioned this idea in the first thread. But there were some counter-arguments here. Therefore I left this out.

Well I think this is a little bit different. Chopping the tree to pieces in order to build a sawmill out of it is kinda a necessity, otherwise you would have to have a sawmill already standing in every scenario - or at least the building material for it (which one has to save up for the sawmill). I never liked that property of the sawmill in Clonk Rage. Luckily there was always a base where you could buy some wood before you *really* had to build a sawmill. We don't have this luxus in OC. It's as if you needed metal to build a foundry. But yeah, you just need rocks (probably) and the rocks are around and if not, firestones will be. Trees are also around, but you can't build stuff (or a sawmill) directly out of trees. So you need a way at the start of the game to get the material needed for the most basic production buildings.

As the sawmill also needs power and perhaps metal to construct (and thus is something that is more advanced), timber could be the building material for the more advanced things, namingly everything that is not the basic (production) and structural buildings. When the player gained access to timber, he can also use the timber as a substitute for logs for the more basic stuff since it's easier and faster to just shove a tree into the sawmill than to chop it to pieces.

>> Should I elaborate?
> Absolutely.

Well, here are some ideas that float around on the top of my head currently regarding this. But before: I think the whole topic of explosives in clonk is so basic and fundamental to the clonk's gameplay that there should be no shortage of varieties of that. We have some varieties in tools and in "inventions" now, we need at least that many cool explosive stuff. To make this more interesting than different blast radius, the explosives need a different behaviour and perhaps method of application. Also, if it is about explosives the border between mining tool and weapon really gets blurry so it is really a good idea to put them into an own category (and own production building). So here are my ideas:

• Classical bomb. You know, that black one with the fuse - I think it fits quite nice into the theme. Should be almost as big as the boompack (and carried like it). Otherwise, the explosion is quite unspectacular, just something like Super to TeraFlint size.

• Bomb launcher. Pretty much like the grenade launcher from Hazard. It was just the most fun weapon in the whole pack IMO, I don't want to miss that gameplay value in OC, now that we have the cool mouse controls. You can shoot about three small versions of the bombs with it. The style of this weapon would be pretty much fall into the invention-corner with a quite steampunky design. Could also look like a hand-catapult ;-)

• Drillororor. (or something). You put it on a wall like the dynamite and instead of exploding, it drills itself into the ground and finally explodes. Don't know the actual use case for that, but still ;-)

• Boom. A smaller version of the boompack on which the Clonk doesn't try to ride on. So it's more or less a single-use explosive for e.g. reaching that little vein of gold at the top of that cave. Or as a weapon of course.

• Fireslime. Now this is quite an odd idea, I don't know if you (or I) like it; I got to that when thinking of alternative ways to blow up the landscape. Let's say there is some kind of plant/animal which is basically a red slime/thorny plant. Like the alien hive from Hazard, it will just bubble around in one place and not move around. Unlike the alien hive from hazard, it will not grow any worms out of itself or hatch little monsters all the time (on the other hand, you never know... ;-)). It naturally "grows" in the vicinity on or near the firestone material I talked about from which it seems to feed itself. And that explains the a little bit explosive nature of the slime. You can cut of some of these bubbles and plant them somewhere else. These bubbles will then grow by themselves and eventually form an own little plant. However, if there is no space for the bubbles to grow, the whole thing will explode in many small explosions around the plant. Even it's root which at that time may have grown into some (valuable) materials all explode. Yeah, very claustrophobic plant :-). So the only thing you need to do is cut pieces of this plant and plant them in little corners where you want the explosions, then just close it up with loam. And wait. The plant could also have other properties, like e.g. being able to absorb lava, purifying acid (into water) or growing firestones as "fruits". There could also be some explosives made out of this plant.

• Explosive juice. Looks like a molotow coctail, but it isn't. It's a large bottle of orange juice with a fuse. After you fused the bottle, you have two options. Either you just put it somewhere carefully and run away. Then it will just explode like a dynamite or something. Or, you throw it, it will shatter and it's contents will flow all over the floor. The fuse will then light this stuff and all the material pixels of that material will explode. (We'd need a new material for that probably? Something like oil only that it explodes instead of burns).

• "Sawed off engine" ;-). You know how a motor works right? This is a carry-able version of an engine and the explosions inside it are not used propel but led outside through a pipe which the Clonk is holding. So pretty much like a flamethrower but (also) with explosions ^^. Yes, it can't work in reality (or would it?).Needs something ridiculous as fuel, lava perhaps? "Explosive juice"? Or if we keep it, oil then.

• Explosive zapnest(!). You know what happens if you give zaps explosive juice to drink? Zaps (not the nest) become fucking flying bombs!