Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic [Request Feedback] Heavy resources

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to ala
We played one round today, the Cave-Mission with the statue head in the lava. It took us something around 1hour and 15minutes, which wasn't too long.

Minor flaws:
-some wrong animation display while jumping with the object (guess it's still unfinished)
-It looked weird when I pushed a tree while I carried a gold chunk (this was possible)
-as for controls: If a lot of objects for interacting are on one place (like 10 stones, a foundry, a lorry) - it can get a little tricky. But I'm not too skilled with the controls, so it might go smooth if you have the practice.
-We needed a "normal" coal-piece to build something and the big coal didn't work. I think it was the energy-saver-thing. So we put the coal into the foundry, and took out a small coal piece for building.

>1. How is the mining process perceived now? Do you think it's better than with little objects?
>Starting your settlement should now be considerably easier. Constructing a Foundry is just one chunk of rock (instead of 4 rocks). One chunk of coal + one chunk of ore will serve you with 4 metal; enough for a Wind Generator + Flag + Sawmill.

This works pretty nice. I liked carrying stuff around, instead of throwing like 100 items. Less objects seemed to make it easier, also the start was easy and we got resources quickly.  However, since the chunks give so much material we didn't have to mine as much as usual I think, this is actually not bad. But changes things - and you can get very rich from just one gold ledge (guess you can make between 700-1000 gold from one normal-sized mine). For ore it was OK I think, for coal - we had far too much coal over.

Also: Since now the clonks carry less objects, lorries are even more unnecessary. But that's again not a bad thing.

>2. What do you think on disabling scale / hangle?
>The thought behind this is that you have to put more thought into your mine shaft again. Maybe even clear a path for a lorry in order to carry more than just one chunk. But at least shape the shaft in a way that you can make your way back out without scaling.

It felt logical - and I liked this too. But it's not that much of an obstacle. Perhaps because we did dig paths which you could easily access while jumping, there was little need for climbing. But I guess that's the natural way anyway - because jumping over the map is faster (and more fun) than climbing.

>3. What do you think on balancing?
>The material outputs in Clonk have been well established for years. Changing the ratios is not an easy step. Do you think the material-to-chunk ratio is okay? Do you think the amount of chunks needed to run a settlement are okay? Since you can easily get more metal with less effort, we might want to increase metal need for high tier techs / buildings.
>Also important: The chunks now simply weight 3, 4 or 5 times the little objects, making them especially heavy. Are they too strong a weapon or an unfair death trap?

Less of the map must be used for mining, but this again is not bad I guess. As for weapons: We didn't try to use them as weapons, but mining is much more dangerous now. I played pretty reckless and lost 3 clonks and also killed one of Andriel with some pressure wave. But again: That's not a bad thing.

>4. Is the splitting / construction with logs nice?
>You can't manually split the chunks right now. That's why I changed the rock-dependent buildings from taking rock to rock chunks. In order to get nuggets, you have to put the (gold) chunks into a Foundry first (probably biggest flaw). I'm open for ideas!

The only thing here is that there is far more rock, than you'll ever need for buildings. And you can't deposit it and rock becomes stuff that lies round quite a lot. (hm actually, that is also true for normal rock chunks).
As for using it for buildings, that was no problem and worked out fine.

-----

So all in all, I had quite a good impression. Nice work!
It also had a cool atmosphere, I felt like an ant if you carry all those big junks around :)