Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Overview: HUD changes

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Newton
I think... maybe I were in favour of removing the feature of having multiple crew members in open clonk. Not because it is not a good an necessary feature in clonk rage, simply because I think it is not used in open clonk the way it is used in clonk rage and only complicates things.

We already took many steps in this direction actually
1. we already removed the training of physicals (climbing, energy etc), removing the necessity to store much more information than the name of each clonk in the OCP
2. in every scenario where it matters, a relaunch logic replaces the game feature of havin a "stash of reserve clonks"
3. we do not have, as clonk rage did, a RTS-like mouse control where you could send your clonks off to do this and that simultaniously
4. likewise, we do not have these automations anymore that you can activate "collect wood" in the sawmill and the clonk would chop the nearby forest down and put it into the sawmill
5. we do not have "safe places" (=houses with doors) for the player to store his clonks anymore, which was a deliberate design decision
6. one can not control all his clonks at once (double-w, *ding*, remember?) anymore to do things like transport several things at once. Instead a single clonk can carry more.
7. we removed "long actions" that bind a clonk to one place like waiting for a castle to be built, waiting for stuff to be smelted, an airship to be constructed, a forest to be chopped down or a melee-fight to finish (well, if anyone ever used that)
8. clonks are more agile now and much less prone to get stuck somewhere, creating the necessity for another to free him. This already started with clonk rage(?) where all clonks gained the ability to climb and hangle from the beginning on and unstuck-checks were introduced
9. arena fights (e.g. cauldron) prevail much over classical melees (e.g. clepal) in open clonk. In the latter it can still make some sense to have a clonk at another location

If support for multiple clonks were to be dropped completely, I think it would simplify a lot of things. Or, as the lite version: Do not offer keys to change the crew member and do not show this in the HUD. So something like a "camera view" would still be possible (e.g. an item "telescope")