Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Specularity in Material

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to PeterW
Just providing context... After re-reading my statements: The problem actually isn't that we do "color * constant", the problem is that the constant should be "ambience + specular". What we have right now can behave like ambient shading or specular shading, and something "in the middle" - but that's not quite the same thing as the sum.

[Edit]
Btw, all of this comes directly from here, e.g. from an attempt to make a good general approximation to your shader. Not trying to shift "blame" or anything, just wanted to highlight the history here. Strictly speaking you even had the sum in there, which I promptly optimised out in the "approximated pow curve" bit :)

> Could the "magic" not be seperated out then

That was actually pretty much the idea. From what I can see, the only special case that applies to other shaders is that it needs to shade two pixels? We could remove that by mixing the pixels up-front, but that would give us worse anti-aliasing properties on the borders. I am fairly sure I tested that, and it used to be pretty noticeable.