Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Clonk2-like Strategy Map

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Asmageddon
Well, on other hand it could really be used to create some campaign. I think it could go like this:
1)World map generation:
-Step one: A random continent, heightmap determining where are mountains, where are seas, etc.
-Step two: Forests, rivers, lakes, etc. are generated.
-Step three: Temperature map is generated, and deserts, snowy mountains, swamps, etc. are generated along.
2)Game map generation:
-The most interesting part of world is picked and cropped to be the whole game area
-Details are generated(Hills, small lakes, caves in mountains, shrines, castles, cities, villages, farms)
-Roads between important objects are generated, borders of map get blocked by rivers/mountains/dense forests/something
3)Gameplay generation:
-Factions are generated(and get randomly chosen cities, castles, and other structures; number depends on settings and no. of players)
-Political situation is generated(how much factions 'like' each other; of course considering pre-set game settings)
-Important persons are generated(Kings, queens, princes & princesses, major merchants, etc.)
-Life is simulated for a moment(Random events, that occur alone, between factions, inside single faction, etc.), which is a basement for future ingame quests(help village robbed by bandits, bring revenge for killing a prince, etc.)
4)Game start:
-Players choose their factions(they can be any of randomly generated important persons)
-Player receive something(Country in case of king, village in case of knight, fort in case of prince, etc.)
-First goal is randomly generated(like: kill the king in case of rebelling prince, etc.)
5)Gameplay:
-Players move
-They receive quests from important persons
-Players complete quests(or not) and receive(or not) reward. Sometimes they can get betrayed and new quest may be generated.
About local maps:
Players can one time in their turn(if game will be turn based) enter an area, and play normal, clonky game. They can build there, get materials(they are stored as global resources), die, kill monsters, etc. but NOT recruit new clonks. Clonks are recruited among citizens, villagers, mercenaries, and kings and princes have military at their disposal. The appearance of tile is determined by what is there: If player did mine a lot there, and left a large hole - a hole will be visible. If player built a castle - castle will be visible. If player built mining building - a mine will be visible. Then people would came to built village, mines will mine gold, and castles could be used for living in them. But if player is too long in one sector - his turn passes, but he still is there. He can get ambushed, attacked, and does not know what happens outside of this square. This way beaten king can build a fort in large cave somewhere, and - since it is underground - other players do not see it. For each type of tile(there would be lots, lots, lots and LOTS of them) there would be a Landscape.txt and a Scenario.txt file. Players would ALWAYS appear at left or right of map(depends on direction they came from when they stepped on that tile, so there can be "walls", that do not allow to pass trough). And there could be tunnels dug to other maps(if there is undergroung passage to left or right it is possible to pass trought is to adjancent map. It requires construction of special "portal" building, and portal built on left side allows to go to LU,LD and R tiles, while built on right allows to go to L, RD and RU tiles (assuming, that it would be hexagon-based map). Direction they lead in is determined once and unchangeable.