Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Clonk2-like Strategy Map

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to AlteredARMOR
Just a question (to everyone):
Have you ever played games such as:
1) SimCity and other Sim* strategies
2) Caesar
3) Pharaoh and other Caesar clones
4) Various Tycoons
They all have something in common (with little differences) - there is a special play mode within which you just play (begin with a tiny city/farm/park/whatever and grow it to become... well, do not know what it will become in the end). No goal, no high purpose, no fun after all (not to mention so called "missions" in some of theese games the only "goal" of which is to gain a sufficient ammount of "points"). That is what CR settlement scenarios about after all (since I'm kind of a peacefull and non-competitive person I do not like melees and various types of other "challenges" - races and parkours included). You just play. Well, at first it is rather copmpetitive (especially when you have to build a settlement on a tip of the mountain) but thats it. I would not repeat what I've already told but having a GRAND PURPOSE FOR EXISTENCE (or simply said GOAL like merging together pieces of a broken statue or bury tre long-gone father within deep sea waters) would make a scenario not pointless but entertaining. Even a trivial goal to "mine all the gold" seems not so trivial when to reach golden mine you must first build a fully-functional "railroad" (I just wish the train was running faster) or elevator connection or blimp or whatever. The even greater interest can be achieved when you know that the every single step you do in current scenario will affect all subsequent scenarios - so that's what we should have a "command map" (or some other variant of it) for.
Example: You know that you are going to be attacked by a bunch of angry clonks/wipfs/monsters and the only thing you have is just a little settlement (and huge rock/ore deposits). You can: 1) Build a casstle and defend yourself 2) Build weapons thinking that offence is the best defence 3) Abandon the whole place for good. 4) Abandon the whole place with evil smile on you face after placing 50 timed bombs on the territory (just kidding). So you choose one of possible behaviors, spend some time praparing you plan and then scenario ends. You find yourself on a command map again and see that enemy army is swiftly approaching towards you. But you are already not as defenceless as you were before. Not you can show them who's the boss...
It was just a primitive example of how the gameplay could be enriched by implementing "some" additional strategy elemnets. After all, Clonk IS a strategy game so lets make it match this word in every possible way.