Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Shading
- - By PeterW [de] Date 2015-02-24 17:40
Just to get people thinking: Having all shading in (well, duh) shaders means that we can change the look of the game relatively easily. For example, if we add the following code to ObjectLightShader.glsl:

slice(light+5)
{
#ifdef HAVE_LIGHT
  if (normal.z > 0.6) {
    light = light * 2;
  }
#endif
}

we get a simple cell-shading effect:

(and yes, it increases the brightness of objects quite considerably. Consider this my way of sneaking an extra suggestion in there. Seems to make the sky go white though.)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-02-24 17:48
Suggestion noted.

Yes a cool feature, this needs to be documented for people making their own game content!
Parent - - By PeterW [de] Date 2015-02-24 18:27
I was actually trying to suggest something like this as the default shading. Contrast is good :)
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-02-24 19:30
I know, and we can try this, but not as extreme as in your example screenshot :)
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2015-02-24 19:47
Can you shade the landscape too?
Parent - By PeterW [de] Date 2015-02-24 22:09
Yes, obviously. You'd just have to do the same thing for the landscape light shader. My intention was to make objects more distinct, though...
Parent - By Link-Mario [de] Date 2015-03-03 10:51
This effect looks like the one that is used in Super Smash Bros. 3DS. Maybe try out more variants, because it looks great.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-03 10:55
Just a quick comment:
I don't like the effect too much. For me it is too noticable that this was not intended in the first place, because suddenly the models and textures do not match the shading. It really looks like someone accidentally ramped up the light :I
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-03-03 14:00
Should we limit the creative process by what was made this or that way or explore possible new features? ;) We could consider changing the textures accordingly!
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-03 19:11
I have nothing against exploring, but to my knowledge we don't even have anyone doing the graphics we actually need right now :)

...and the last attempt by a motivated group of volunteers to make a great redesign of everything was, well, unsuccessful..
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2015-03-03 22:32
This might be a matter of being used to it? I had been using a flat "double the lights on objects" shader for some time before, because I felt like objects were just way too dark. This struck me as a nice compromise. Doesn't seem like people like it too much though, so well.
- - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-03-03 18:24
Just a quick test with much simpler textures:

I can see it getting somewhere!

I hereby license the file chemtex.png under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file lorry.jpg under the CC-BY license
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2015-03-03 19:16
Umn, I do prefer our current look to that.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Shading