Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / some openclonk suggestions after playing chine
- - By Zeer [de] Date 2016-06-05 04:14 Edited 2016-06-05 04:18
hi folks,

i was playing chine on insane which definitely is tough. so still i have some issues i would rather considering as bugs or at least missing information about rules for the players

the first thing is about the scenario rules. i was playing an average size map and my plan was to build up a settlement at the top of the map and building an elevator for somehow getting the cannon. after two hours of gameplay i mentioned it was no good idea, because it was not clear if the map is open at the bottom. the bottom actually is open for objects and clonks but not for water, because i fell off once. so water does'nt drain off as you can hopefully see at this screenshot:

my suggestion is to let the player know more about these options (open bottom, sides etc.) as it was in CR. is there any chance OC might get round options too?

second thing, an old but really annoying clonk bug: stuck clonks. and it happens really easy in a situation as shown: the clonk tries to hang on the top of the obstacles like stone and earth but immediately leaves off and tries to swim. an endless loop begins and the clonk stays stuck, cannot get breath and dies. this is really annoying and i wonder if there might be any fix for this. can't there be an unstuck mode especially for these situations?
hopefully you can see this situation also on the image. i was playing open clonk 7.0 win.

well i still consider playing this map again with new tactics, but nevertheless i would appreciate some improvements about these issues, if there might be any chance ;)

cheers,

jonathan

edit: excuse me fot accidently putting this topic here, it should probably better be at the feedback section
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2016-06-05 13:12 Edited 2016-06-05 13:24
The water on the open border looks like a bug but this never happened to me. :o

@Stuck:
This is a very old and nasty bug. To be fair, this is like the "rope in material edges"-bug (even commercial games like all new Worms titles and Planetoid Pioneers have the same rope bug.).

In Cortex Command, all material pixels fall down or get removed if your players is stuck in them. That means that you can push your player through walls that should actually stop players from getting through. Plus, it's annoying and costs time.

Personally, I think the most interesting solution might be vertices lines. I don't know the current state of this. I hope this can fix most or all unintended stucks. Intended stucks happen if a huge snow lawine rolls over your Clonk or if someone builds a concrete trap in Clonk Rage. Stuch stucks are cool.
Attachment: stuck.jpg (77k)
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2016-06-06 19:30
I tried to close the bottom only for water but nothing worked. The upper screenshot is the absolut bottom of the map, right? Maybe you can upload a replay or savestate? Chine has BottomOpen=2 which means that the original sky area is always open even if Tunnel is painted over it. But no matter how the bottom is open, both objects and materials should always fall through it.

BTW: You will be able to find round options in the Windmill editor that's in beta. I guess the main reason why you never know whether the bottom is open or not is that ppl sometimes want that a tunnel bottom is open (see Steinfresser.). If that wouldn't be the case, one could just say "bottom sky is always open and bottom tunnel is always closed".
Parent - - By Zeer [de] Date 2016-06-07 06:46 Edited 2016-06-07 06:49
hi here is a savegame. i tried using the editor (-- edit on startup) and tested these things a little bit by myself. sometimes water was draining and i saved it for myself, but when trying playing without editor afterwards there was sometimes new water or it didn't actually save, that water drained in the editor. it worked once, but after some playing there was a new lake, which you can see at the savegame attached. again the water didn't drain. immediately the savegame starts at the ground of the map.
by the way should i add the CC license even for savegames like this?
Attachment: Chine1.ocs (374k)
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2016-06-07 07:15
thx

> should i add the CC license even for savegames like this?

no need, it's mostly used when someone uploads code patches / graphics / sounds and wants to allow its implementation to the game.
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2016-06-09 23:23
The only thing I notice is that the water in the savegame is able to flow out of the landscape but the flow is not triggered like when you draw new water in the sky and it won't flow down. So when you use a Basement object and move it over the bottom border of this map, the water will finally flow away. Afer that, I can not reproduce this when waiting for rain using /fast 10 or using big water masses...
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-06-07 21:20
I can't reproduce this with the snapshot version. So you could try again with the snapshot and see if water flows out at the bottom as it should.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / some openclonk suggestions after playing chine