Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Production lines - buildings
- - By Newton [es] Date 2009-05-12 19:30 Edited 2009-05-12 21:30

Introduction

This concept does not aim to completely replace the original content. It may be extendable or changeable. I am not intending to take any initiative to implement this or take any lead into coordinating this (no time). This is just a proposal for how more production-line oriented system could look. (As you will see, I didn't include any other base buildings.) This is intended to be read by the people who finally put themself in charge of coordinating the rebuild of the original content as an approach (Ger: "Denkansatz"), not - god forbid - as a fixed concept. It is intended to offer some ideas that could HELP to develop a more complete concept.

What I don't want to achieve with this post is to initiate to discuss fully THE "perfect" concept or something. This should be, and I really want to stress that, up to the people who will finally develop the content. And while it is not clear yet who will all do that, I think it is de-motivating to discuss this in every detail before anything has been done yet.
This thread is intended to be a collection of ideas which cool buildings there could be and how they work together.

How I wrote it down:
[Effectively needed buildings] - ([Letter of building]) [Name of building] - [Needed material]
[What it produces]
[Description]

Buildings

How to get wood: The clonk needs an axe but no sawmill to create wood. So the clonk has easier access to this basic construction ressource.
How to build: The clonk needs a hammer. The fundament (if any) is added when the building is finished. This makes building cheaper (no conkit)
How to connect (power): The clonk needs a line. The line will not be used up by connecting buildings. (no linekit)

Mining hut - Wood
Base.

Look-out - Wood
Inexpensive to build. Can be used to get up somewhere or as basic defense

Watch tower - Rock
Much higher (higher than the old one) than the look-out and better for holding off unwanted guests. Doors are closed automatically if enemies approach and opened automatically if friends approach (except a clonk is using the tower)

(T) Tools workshop - Wood
Produces: Tools (hammer, axe, shovel...), mining tools (wooden lorry, basic explosives,...), construction material (wheel, wire out of metal)
The tools workshop is one of the more basic buildings and provides mining tools which are mainly made out of wood and stone, some metal.

Bridge - Wood
The bridge is built like a building. This makes it easier than having to pull it out of some workshop across a possibly impossible landscape. Additionally, one can choose to a certain degree the angle of the bridge, e.g. making it go up a little.

T - (F) Foundry - Rock
Produces with coal or wood: metal from ore, plate-glass from crystal, gold bars from gold
This provides the access to advanced mining buildings and power-producing buildings

TF - (E) Steam engine - Metal, wheel
Produces with coal or wood: energy
This building produces a fair amount of energy. The difference to the old power plant is that it only burns coal if the energy is really needed (so it can also burn half-a-coal etc.). If coal is available, this soluction should be favoured against windmills

TE - Elevator - wood, wire, wheel, energy
It does not require metal but energy which has to be transmitted through a metal wire.

TE - Lift (ropeway) - wood, wire, wheel, energy
This is a little bit more advanced structure as it can go in any direction. One has to build two lift-buildings and connect them with a wire to finish it. It is especially useful for connecting sky islands.

TF - Blacksmith - Metal, Rock, Wood
Produces medieval weapons: sword, spear, throwing knives, shields, armor(s), arrows, bow, saddle, catapult

TFE - (A) Alchemist's lab - Metal, Gold bars, energy
Produces explosives: basic explosives, bombs (like S-T-flints), dynamite, firebombs, special arrows and more specific explosives; construction material: gunpowder
The explosives here are mainly focussed on mining.

TFEA - Armory - Metal, wood, energy
Produces gunpowder-based weapons: musket/arquebus, cannon pistol; cannon, gatling gun, munitions for those out of gunpowder
The cannon pistol would have different munition and very slow reload but a mixture of to the grenade launcher of Hazard and a bow with explosive arrows. The cannon shoots without gunpowder any single objects or the provided munition. The gatling gun replaces the crossbow as it doesn't make so much sense with bows available and eats munition too.

TFE - Charger / Accumulator - Metal, glass
Saves energy for later use
This was one of my first object on the CCAN :P. The idea is to save the surplus of energy production for later use, making power plants more expedient.

----

(C) Cloth shop - Wood
Produces: rope, fabric out of cotton, (clothes), tent, hot air baloon
You can plant cotton like in DP.

C - (E) Wind generator - Wood, cloth
Produces little energy

C - Windmill with Bakery - Rock, cloth
Produces: Bread out of wheat
You can plant wheat like in DP. I don't think it's good to have to build two buildings for such a basic thing as bread - and, it's just one thing (or two: cookies).

CTF - (M) Magic tent - Cloth, metal, gold
Produces: Scrolls with spells, potions & "building plans" for more magic things, construction material: focus stone
This is another approach of how a magic system could work. In this basic building, spells, potions and "building plans" for spells, potions, rods and other artifacts can be BOUGHT with loads of gold (the building plans are grouped like in techtrees). The available spells, potions and artifacts here are more for mining or get over obstacles and are not too numerous.
So magic, especially this magic "research" uses up a lot of gold but can produce cool things at the end.

CTFM - (W) Wizard's lab - Rock, glass, focus stones
Produces: Magic rods, Magic books, other artifacts
Magic rods carry a spell and can be fired a few times. After that they vanish. They are created with (loads of) gold and most of the times with other material components like some sort of crystal, bone, flintstone etc. Magic books carry up to 5 spells and can be used indefinetely - but their magic energy (this is effectively a carryable MagiClonk). Artifacts are a bit like rods but their material component is usually something refined like an amulett, a musket, a sword, a spear, a catapult, a hammer etc. and if they are used up they return to their previous state instead of vanishing (except it is a permanent effect).

CTFMW - Magic building 3? - ???
Produces: ???
I think this system is extendable. But it doesn't need to be in the original pack... anyway.

----

The production lines could be made even a bit more firm/complicated by introducing construction materials like metal plates, pipes, rope, annealing metal, gear etc. which can be build in the tools workshop, blacksmith etc and have to be further processed.
Parent - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2009-05-12 21:16 Edited 2009-05-12 21:19
(SM) ??? -Wood, Rock, Energy
Produces:New Trees(Seed have to be places) Wood
Sawmill and Forsting Hut together. There can be buyed new seeds for new trees. And there can be made pieces of wood in the integrated sawmill.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-12 21:17
Sounds good. Especially I like the idea of having different kinds of explosives for mining. Something that maybe rewards the setting up of cool chain explosions :]
(May comment later on the other stuff, going to sleep now)
Parent - - By Shadow [de] Date 2009-05-12 21:45
Sounds pretty good. I want to begin with a system for knights tonight. I will include some magical stuff I think ... mh will see. Yeah this System is a good begin. But I think we need some more buildings, tools and so on.  But it's only a begin and you doing great! Thumps up!
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-13 07:36

>I want to begin with a system for knights tonight.

Well, are there knights? What are knights? Are knights Clonk with swords or is the "knights"-package only the castle stuff? Didn't we want to include weapons like swords already in the normal package? And now the final question: Do we need knights? :)
Parent - - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2009-05-13 09:48

>And now the final question: Do we need knights? :)

I think the knight pack is an essential element in Clonk. Personally, I could live without it, but what is with medieval RPG's? My opinion is: We can't let them out.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-13 12:55

>but what is with medieval RPG's

The clonk can use swords, spears and stuff. Didn't we want to try to remove the twothousand different clonktypes which just have different graphics?
If we have castle-like stuff is another question, imo
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-05-13 19:44

>Do we need knights? :)

Sure. We mustn't let the fantastic feeling of bombing a castle down out :D
And I play more Knight then "normal" Clonks :)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-13 19:55

>And I play more Knight then "normal" Clonks :)

Would you still do that if Clonks could use armos, swords, spears and bows? Or is the "knight" package for you more the castle stuff?
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-05-13 19:57
Well i like the point in "CoFuT" that, if you cannot buy any Knights, you need to fight with your normal Clonk. So this advantage of the enemy, by killing al your Knights, would be gone, if the normal clonk can use Spear/Sword etc.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-13 20:21
Uhm. So we should have two different types of clonks just because CoFuT wouldn't work that well otherwise?
You can still kill the enemy clonks, take their swords and armors and the enemy will still have to fight without weapons ..-if you really want to have CoFuT in OpenClonk as it is now in ClonkRage.
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-05-14 11:35
But otherwise, i think it would be unbalanced, if you are having a clonk with armor and a bow who can spell magics oposing a normal clonk with Flints.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-14 12:23
Isn't it unbalanced as well if you are having a knights with armor and a bow against a normal clonk with flints? (As you just wanted, three posts above)
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-05-14 12:42
But this CR Situation is caused by killing all enemy knights, so that the enemy MUST take a clonk. Else in OC he could search a sword and become a knight. So it would be an advantage to kill enemies, so that they are forced to buy new clonks.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-14 14:49

>So it would be an advantage to kill enemies, so that they are forced to buy new clonks.

It's always an advantage to kill enemies. I don't know what you mean by that.
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-05-15 13:29
There would be none (big) advantage when the enemy can buy new knights when his died. And exactly this would be in OC when the normal clonk is a knight.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-15 15:13
Normally you don't run out of clonks in CoFuT as well (since you respawn). And sure. The scenarios from Rage cannot be copied exactly to OC. If you think that there is one disadvantage less, just add a different one. We have to build a new bunch of scenarios anyway. I really don't get your point.
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-05-15 19:01
Well i simply dislike the idea, that the clon can be in a moment a knight, and in the next a wizard, and seconds later a hazard for example.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-15 20:39
That would only be possible if the scenario wanted it to be.
Parent - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-05-13 19:49
I would add a ropeway built of wood and ropes. Maybe the ropeway starts at a building, and the course is affected by little buildings. So the way can be formed like the connection in Western by the tekegraphs.
Parent - - By LoneS [fi] Date 2009-05-14 11:37

>How to get wood: The clonk needs an axe but no sawmill to create wood. So the clonk has easier access to this basic construction ressource.
>How to build: The clonk needs a hammer. The fundament (if any) is added when the building is finished. This makes building cheaper (no conkit)

How original of a FarWorlds-dev!
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-22 19:20
But it should also be possible to chop trees in sawmill. About windmills - they shouldn`t be removed, however they should produce only a little of energy, so it would make sense to build power plants. Also solar plants should be possible to build.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Production lines - buildings