Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Clonk in Space...? (locked)
- - By Alehkhs [us] Date 2009-07-22 10:43 Edited 2009-07-22 10:46
I've always wanted to play a Clonk game set in space. Has anyone else thought of this?

Bases/structures could either be free-floating (like a space-station), or built on an asteroid, where mining could also take place.
Also, movement would take place in zero gravity.

Does anyone have any ideas of opinions about this suggestion?
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2009-07-22 11:00
It's already possible to implement this for scenarios in C4Script, but I don't think it's a theme that could fit a whole game.
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2009-07-22 12:08

>or built on an asteroid

Moving solid material isn't possible atm.
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2009-07-22 14:25
It isn't possible 'efficiently' at the moment. You can indeed move Objects by moving pixel per pixel and/or saving them (e.g. 'temporary tunnel').
Parent - By Fireknight [ch] Date 2009-07-23 17:51
Yes, but that does not work properly.
If you move an object pixel per pixel, Clonks staying on this object won't move together with the object, that only works for floating objects.
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-22 19:10
But with polygon landscapes, this could be very easy. :)
Parent - - By Alehkhs [us] Date 2009-07-22 17:24
yea, I didn't mean as an entire game, but more like the 'themes' that already exist: desert, underwater, rainforest.... 'space.'
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-07-22 21:02
Well, currently, there are no 'skins' in existance... The game content has been flushed. Let's see, what's coming up from us.
But the Ideas are already realised in CR: Hazard, QuakeR, WarStar, Caedes, and last, but perhaps most important: Space Launch, Cogiton Alliance, and Star Empires.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-25 03:48
My friend and I both agree building a base on moving asteroids and whatnot would be hella awesome. And to combat moving/ jumping screw ups one could make gravitational pulls for the asteroids with rotatable clonks, instead of zero gravity. =] That's probably quite complicated I'm assuming.

Something like this was done in a map for Cortex Command, but the game never supported actors standing against the gravitational pull, just straight up.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2009-07-26 14:27
How did you manage that :C
I've got a whole pack waiting for me to manage clonks beeing turned and still controllable, i've got the gravitation though :/
Look at my "DM - Trümmerfeld" on the CCAN (unfinished), its exactly that concept with many planets. The only problem ist the Clonks not walking around the planet.

If it is functional, would you be able to send me a version?
My main problem is that I can't rotate Clonks, only their graphics. And then they still hangle at the bottom :(
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-07-26 14:29
You have also to change their vertice-positions (and the CNATvalues)
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2009-07-26 14:31
Thanks, good Idea. Still, Rotate doesn't work with Living Creatures. Do I have to rotate the graphics?
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-07-26 14:42
Yes. And maybe also change the Walk/Scale/Hangleaction.
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2009-07-26 14:45
How 'change'? It is engineinternal from when he starts to 'hangle' (what is the correct word O_o) or climb, isn't it?
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-07-26 14:51
Yeah. Thats problematic. You could maybe add an effect to the clonks which executes every Frame and let it perform all the actions?
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2009-07-26 14:54
Uff, set the phase and correct action in every frame...
Anyway, how do the rotated vertices help then?
Parent - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-07-26 15:02
For making the clonk collide in the right way? Oo
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-07-27 12:23
What about making hanging, scaling, walking, etc. not dependetnt on standard 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees, but rotating the whole thing basing on angle of gravity vector? Hope you understand me.. ;P
Also what about some more ingerence into gravity? Not only static X, and Y values, but also "Points" of gravity, and "Lines" of gravity, the further from one of these 'objects' Clonk is, the weaker gravity
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-27 14:54
I agree that a gravity point object would be great, but Clonks do not rotate well... unless the Clonk is fiddled with by devs so that it can rotate properly (like in my pic), then we aren't going to be building on asteroids anytime soon.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-26 15:41
I am very sorry for misunderstandings.... this isn't an actual ingame image. This is just a concept picture.
I really don't have any great code that has allowed me to do this, just GraphicsGale.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Clonk in Space...? (locked)