Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / First impressions from Settlement
- - By Fluff [gb] Date 2012-02-12 11:05 Edited 2012-02-12 14:56
"Well this is fuDIRTCHUNKSARGHDIRTCHUNKS"

I don't seem to have found a way to dig without my clonk picking up dirt chunks. It's kind of annoying when the tiny layer of dirt between him and the flint I needed gets on his hands and causes him to blow himself up instead of picking anything up.

Also, power cables. I don't know how to de-attach them from buildings, so making my tool shop the third thing I needed power for meant I couldn't power it, meaning I couldn't make any more wire kits.

It would be nice if I could right click buildings on the building menu to get a bit of information on what they did.

And I repeatedly accidentally chopped one of my clonks with the other ones axe. Melee weapons shouldn't really be able to target your team-mates like that, should they?

But other than that, everything was pretty awesome.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-02-12 14:47
Very good points.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-12 19:20
Good points.

>I don't seem to have found a way to dig without my clonk picking up dirt chunks. It's kind of annoying when the tiny layer of dirt between him and the flint I needed gets on his hands and causes him to blow himself up instead of picking anything up.

ack.

>And I repeatedly accidentally chopped one of my clonks with the other ones axe. Melee weapons shouldn't really be able to target your team-mates like that, should they?

Mh, not sure. The axe is kind of special there, because it is a tool too.
But imagine the sword in melees (which has no function as a tool - you only use it if you want to hurt something). It's a question of gameplay: It adds a bit of depth just because you have to aim. You cannot just keep leftclicking the whole time because you might hit your teammates.
Imagine arrows going through teammates for comparison. It would work, sure. But would it be good?

>Also, power cables. I don't know how to de-attach them from buildings, so making my tool shop the third thing I needed power for meant I couldn't power it, meaning I couldn't make any more wire kits.

Fear not, for power cables will be replaced sooner or later :)

Keep giving feedback!
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2012-02-12 21:12 Edited 2012-02-12 21:18

>But imagine the sword in melees (which has no function as a tool - you only use it if you want to hurt something).

Well okay, I get this, but the axe... Perhaps "target" was the wrong word to use. What I mean is, when I accidentally use the axe, and there's no tree around, my clonk ignores wherever my mouse is and hacks my other clonk, who was unfortunate enough to be standing nearby. This is annoying.

>Keep giving feedback!

Okay :P Storage. I'd really like a place to put things. Leaving them on the ground means I have to take time dropping them (and I can only drop after I've swapped them two-at-a-time into my hands. Can we at least drop things straight from the backpack?), and then jump over them to make sure I don't pick them up.

Only clonks with hammers can actively build buildings, but could other clonks be able to put material into them somehow?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-12 21:53

>kay :P Storage. I'd really like a place to put things.

True. We played a round of Gold Rush earlier and noticed that we abused the Workshop as a storage. Pretty annoying because it can't take Earth/Loam etc.

>Leaving them on the ground means I have to take time dropping them

Heh. Yeah, dropping. That was the second most annoying thing. That there is no way to actually drop items without throwing.

>Only clonks with hammers can actively build buildings, but could other clonks be able to put material into them somehow?

Mhmh, probably wouldn't be wrong to be able to put certain stuff into construction sites via the contents menu.
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-02-12 22:13
How about this: All Clonks (or only Clonks with Hammers) are able to build small storage-thingies out of loam/earth. Just, like, imagine you're building a "bowl" out of earth where you put stuff. It's quickly done, widely accessible and provides an rather easy and imho intuitive solution. (Because it screams "that's just a place to put stuff there")

Now without blabla:
Clonks can build a small storage container instead of dropping stuff onto the ground. So instead of having stuff lying on the ground, you have it lying on the ground in a storage, which solves the put-into and pick-up problem. :3
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-12 22:22
Meh, that means a lot of little decentralized "storages"? :/
what for?

Rather have chests instead. At least you are not tempted to spam them all over the place then!
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-02-13 13:50
Of course they would be limited capacity, and chests would be a way better choice for a storage in your settlement. But for that quick and dirty storage it'd be nice.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-13 17:30

>Of course they would be limited capacity

even more!
Soo, into which of the two hundred containers did I put my axe again? :)
One of Peter's main arguments against actually putting anything into buildings was that stuff can get lost easily the CR way
Parent - - By Fungiform Date 2012-02-14 16:20
I'd rather have a proper building for this again... how do you actually stop enemies from taking your stuff?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-02-14 16:23
With the not yet existing watch tower!

It's a very complex question whether a storage should be accessible by enemies or not.
Parent - By Fungiform Date 2012-02-14 16:41
Oh yes!! Like that.  I also had the idea of a basic small tower like structure that you can stick your flag to. It would give the flag a little bit more substance.

I don't mean a real tower but maybe a very small platform with a chest and the flag? Something like the very down to earth version of a construction yard.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-14 17:25
Well, one idea of the flag was that it could block your buildings in the flag's radius from enemies
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-02-14 20:16

>bla bla Axe stuff bla bla

On topic of that.. we could always change the axe to a saw -> not a weapon anymore! Unless it's a chainsaw.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-02-15 13:08
If you don't know the bad wounds you can cause with a saw, you haven't tried. :P
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / First impressions from Settlement