Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Everyday I'm shovelin'...earth chunks
1 2 Previous Next
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2012-02-13 20:14
While working on the bucket, I also came across that idea of automatically filling it while digging. Graphics for a one-handed bucket would be done now.
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2012-02-13 20:29
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-02-13 22:40
Good idea! However, balancing wise the bucket would have to hold a LOT more volume than it has. I don't think that's a problem, realism has never been THAT important in clonk. :3
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2012-02-14 01:54

> I don't think that's a problem, realism has never been THAT important in clonk.

Obviously, the landscape is very, very thin, while the bucket can use all three dimensions fully.
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2012-02-14 10:33
I love this.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-02-14 14:43
So you're actually folding the earth layer into the bucket? ;)
Parent - By Fungiform Date 2012-02-14 16:00
I also like the bucket idea. Much better than a random key.

Its also not like you would need the earth very often... and if it is a major landscape reconstruction and that justifies for getting a tool...
Parent - - By Kizzurazzgabi [us] Date 2012-03-26 19:07 Edited 2012-03-26 19:11
to add, a lot of my older games required a lot of patching up tunnels that didnt work out so well,

what if you could buy some earth from the shop for like 1 gold(but needs a container to fill?) so that on small maps, someone realises they have dug wayy too much and would like to fill some holes can actually do it without removing MORE dirt(creating MORE holes)

i like to consider myself an artist when i create a settlment, that includes sculpting the landscape to fit. i would like to be able to place dirt that wasnt there in the first place so that those flukes that i messed up on(digging too deep and cant cut a tree down) can be fixed

to add to the idea of using a shovel in conjunction with a bucket--- seeing as barrels are larger versions of buckets, What if a barrel could be hoisted up on the clonk's back if in one hand(possibly making clonk slower)?
while the other hand could hold a larger variety of tools depending on the circumstance?
EXAMPLE--- bucket(for water/lava/acid) shovel(for dirt/diggable material), pick(mined metals/materials), axe (for wood), hands for harvesting (fruits/herbs/poisons)

so that multiple things could be used in conjunction with the barrel/bucket making best use of what buckets/barrels do, Store things.

my ideas to add
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-03-26 20:12
I way to get earth or something similar (to form the landscape) later in the game would probably be a good idea

On an unrelated note, here I caught boni! (the size of the names really need to be fixed)
Parent - - By Mafi [de] Date 2012-02-12 17:35
What about making the distace of the mouse curser tell if earth chunks should be digged out? As far as I know we're only using the angle between clonk and cursor.
We could show a circle around the clonk and then only dig out earth chunks when the cursor is in this circle. What do you think about that?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-12 19:29
That seems even more random :)
- - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-05 13:49
I deactivated digging out earth/sand and included the bucket. Feedback welcome!

Known bugs which we may ignore: Since the bucket uses DigFree to collect material, you can collect all diggable stuff like coal, sulphur etc.
I haven't tested it but this may lead to a serious exploit: Use it on coal, get a full bucket and coal pieces, restore coal with the bucket, repeat to infinity. Probably DigFree needs a parameter to dig out items. But then I guess it's okay to fill the bucket with whatever one wishes to, am I right?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-05 15:07
Okay, the exploit is possible.

Just some more info on the bucket:
First click near material will fill the bucket. The next click releases the material. If one clicked in the direction of solid material, a lump of material will form around that point. If there is no solid point to connect to, the material will be spilled like with a barrel.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-04-05 16:09
Sounds cool! The new way to create loam bridges then?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-05 16:11
Yes, a new way of forming earth. But loam is still more efficient ;)
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-04-05 16:27
What about supplying other shapes?
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-05 16:51
Exploit has been fixed.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-04-05 17:14
I am not sure if I am a fan, on another note: how do you create loam/earth chunks now?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-05 17:25
The bucket at least was the most popular idea in this thread ;)

> how do you create loam/earth chunks now?

Earth chunks: there is no way. The bucket is the direct replacement for earth chunks.
Loam: As before, in the foundry or just in the underground?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-04-06 09:23
Sorry it was unclear, but it was meant as a bug report: You cannot create loam in the foundry cause it needs earth chunks and does not accept the bucket.
And also crash/skylands need the bucket.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-06 13:19

>  but it was meant as a bug report:

Ah, I see.

> And also crash/skylands need the bucket.

I wasn't sure about that, so I left this to the original author(s)...
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Everyday I'm shovelin'...earth chunks
1 2 Previous Next