Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Request] Compensator/Accumulator
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-28 00:54
Some weird battery thing that compensates a bit for power outages

needs model/texture (Matthi?)

currently:
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-10-12 18:05 Edited 2012-10-12 18:12
Since I had a free afternoon today, I decided to try my very humble Blender skills out on an OpenClonk object.(Currently 260 faces) The first image is sort of a 3D sketch. I just outlined what came to my mind so if you have critique or wishes, I would be very happy to hear them.
In the second image I sketched above the previous image to visualize how I imagine the finished model to be. Light bulbs show how much energy is stored. (Could also be only one) The spirals are some kind of transformator-like stuff.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-10-14 09:48
Hm, no input so far... I guess that means everybody loves it! :p However, I worked further on the model. Any suggestions before I create a UV-Map?
(420 faces)
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-14 10:02
No, think it's cool :)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-14 11:30 Edited 2012-10-14 11:43
In my opinion it does not really look like anything, mainly because the central part of your model is this "box" in the center. The stuff around the box look like they don't belong there. I'd much prefer a model where it is more clear that it is supposed to be a battery of some sort. So as the basic shape, a cylinder would IMO the right way to go.

Unfortunately, a google search for "steampunk battery" didn't turn up the result I had in mind and  this stuff, while it looks good, won't really be doable in openclonk as transparent glass cannot really be done in OC.

So as a suggestion for you model, I'd first make a cylinder with a spool around it the central part of the model, get rid of the stuff hanging about and for the details, get inspired by searching for "battery steampunk" on images. Some examples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11447071@N04/3270412485/
http://forum.v2cigs.com/discussion/5203/best-custom-e-cig
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2012-10-14 11:45

> transparent glass cannot really be done in OC.

why not?
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-14 11:50
ask Matthi
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-10-20 10:23 Edited 2012-10-20 10:28
How do you like this approach? I will add some sort of stuff connecting the two, like in your picture. (e.g. a spool as in the liquid)
I think it could look nice 3D-ish ingame.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-20 14:59
What about making some parts move. Maybe the spirals rotating.
Moving parts in the buildings would give much more life to the game and environment. It's a pity that not much building are using this. For example the wheel of the elevator does not spin when in use.
And other buildings don't use the full potential. For example the crane of the shipyard just goes up and down and left and right. It could also go back and forth, making it pop more out and being more dynamic.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-10-20 19:32
I am also missing this in some models. (The rotating elevator wheel is already planned, however!) I thought about moving parts for the accumulator but I don't think there is too much that could move. (Except for glowing stuff and "how-much-energy-is-stored-arrows" maybe)
I agree with you that there should be more going on in a settlement, but spinning spirals wouldn't make sense. (I don't know if it is obvious, but they are supposed to be transformator spools.)
For the shipyard, I don't think it's finished yet. (Does it even have a texture?)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-20 20:03

>For the shipyard, I don't think it's finished yet. (Does it even have a texture?)

The only thing it needs is to have its texture painted. The uv-map is already done, too. :)
Parent - By Andriel Date 2012-10-22 19:19
Do you like the direction it's heading?
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-12 19:47
Big glowing tubes are cool!
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Request] Compensator/Accumulator