Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / My playthrough, feedback and ideas
- - By Kizzurazzgabi [us] Date 2012-03-26 02:54
So i love the game so far, i like the movement the backpack and inventory,

one problem i come across is the automatic accumulation of unwanted rocks/items etc in the backpack (maybe it was in a previous version) at the time it was an unwanted inconvenience, although, thinking about it, when im mining and such that could be very useful. i think this problem may have been fixed, but Maybe there could be a setting right next to the backpack that allows the player to auto-grab or not?

i've been a clonk fan for a long time, i've never played the previous games online, though i DID play multiplayer hotseat most of my time playing clonk. i tryed to get 2-player hotseat up and running but only one player is able to move around. i would LOVE for this to be functional,

now biggest issue with the movement is that my clonk moves way too fast/far at the touch of a direction. i was thinking maybe there could be a walk-run/climb fast/slow pace. for normal skirmish games im assuming that everybody would like to have an auto-run button, but for things like climbing and such more precision is wanted, for me anyways.
ideas would include
-hitting control once makes you auto-walk, hitting it again makes you auto-run
-shift-direction makes you run/climb faster, or if you have auto-run on, shift-direction would make you walk/climb slower

also what makes climbing difficult as well- is when your scaling the ceiling, when you reach the edge you clonk lets go, and you fly off into the abyss or wherever. it doesnt help that your clonk goes pretty fast. if this walk/run thing is implemented or considered i was thinking that maybe when your going slower, your clonk is more careful and isnt as willing to let go when he reaches the edge(would make placing dynamite more precise for ex.)

personally i think it would make sense if your clonk is running faster, he's probably in a more reckless state of mind, running, jumping, dropping, rolling flipping, fighting, etc. and when hes walking/going slower hes more cautious of edges and isn't as willing to let go of/fall off obstacles in his path.

my ideas,
Parent - - By Kizzurazzgabi [us] Date 2012-03-26 05:18 Edited 2012-03-26 06:40
Also, for ideas for the construction aspect that i hear people talking about. i was thinking what if construction came in stages?

I've heard people debating about tools and what and what-not to start off with, i was thinking what if the clonk started with nothing? i mean their supposed to be handy individuals, so instead of starting off with a shovel, and pick, what if they just used their hands at first?

------HANDS------I think having a clonk not NEED tools and being completely self-sufficient would make the player feel like he can take anything on, and not have to worry about picking the right tool for the job EVERY time. of course for the more advanced actions(like building with a hammer, or mining with a pick) would require the appropriate tools, simply because you cant use your hands really for that

DIGGING-- it would work a lot like the pick does currently (wherever the cursor is pointing a chunk of dirt near the clonk gets scooped out) but a lot faster, seeing as no tools are being hefted around.
    DIRT-I think it would be a good idea if dirt could stack in the inventory, throwing dirt clods to make a difficult-to-reach obstacle easier by helping elevate land, patch up annoying ditches, or combining loam to make some sort of dirt wall(early-game defence maybe?). The reason for having dirt clods stack is because the ammount of dirt that a dirt clod lays down in clonk has never been a significant ammount. I've also had problems(in earlier clonks as well as OPENCLONK) with dirt clods, i think it would be great if dirt clods could be gently put on the ground as a little dirtball, instead of it turning to(and needing to remove) a pile of dirt when trying to drop annoying dirt clods in inventory. and if dirt STACKED, then when put on the ground 6 dirts could show up as a neat pile of stacked balls.

WOOD GATHERING-- early-game wood gathering could simply be twig gathering- clonk climbs tree, breaks off twigs(twigs stack in the inventory, so clonk can hold a bundle of twigs). not as time consuming as cutting down a tree. i think this would be a great idea because usually players have to remove trees before building, forcing the players to explore before settling down, and making FINALLY cutting down those trees and placing a settlment more rewarding in EARLY-GAME settlment.
    TWIGS-twigs i think should be a commodity that is stacked, like a bundle of sticks or wheat(you dont see people hefting around ONE piece of straw at a time) these bundles of twigs can be converted to wood, (for example: player can hold 5 twigs, takes 3 twigs to make a WOOD, wood does not stack so in theory, holding bundles of twigs is more productive in transport... maybe)
(also, a certain ammount of twigs could be stripped to make lengths of rope, which can be used for many things)

---------ALSO keep in mind that this could simply be a VERY-EARLY-GAME option, and the player could choose to start off with tools right off the bat, my goal isnt to force or frustrate players, just give options for true-settlment fans. Though i think implementing this would help take the stress off -accidentally dropping your only shovel in the ocean- for example xD. one can digg up rocks, collect a few twigs, and make some rope to make a crude hammer x)

------TECHNOLOGY------
another aspect i was thinking about, technology. I know that this ISNT the previous clonks, and i dont mean to compare this to them, but one thing i liked about the previous ones(the jungle-survival-map one in particular) is the player needed to research in order to build wooden walls for instance, and wasnt able to build them right off the bat. and i wanted to shoot some ideas out there and see what feedback i get.

-ERAS-like a TRIBAL ERA, where the player can only build tribal tents starting out and eventually build mud/rock/twig huts, then they reach the VILLAGE ERA and learn to make wooden houses, wooden walls, and somewhere down the they reach CASTLE ERA and can build stone walls, eventually making more complex contraptions like catapults, swords, etc. then INDUSTRIAL ERA with muskets, etc.

TECKNOLOGIES-each individual tech allows the player to learn 1-2 new things. techs can be seperated into
HOUSING-(making better/more efficient houses(can store more items))
WARFARE- rockthrowing, then sharp rock, then sharp-stick, then spear, then sling, then bow, axe, etc.

Maybe even be able to upgrade the clonks themselves,(though this may just be my mind playing with wierd pointless ideas)
athletisism-Increases speed
Strength-Higher damage output, farther throwing (and maybe even being able to hold 3 items, starting out with only being able to hold one(like the previous clonks))
Intellegence- can reasearch techs faster(if techs are implemented)

My goal isnt to overwhelm anyone with pointless ideas, more give a bunch of ideas that would make clonk fit MY perfect clonk-game. If only ONE of these ideas are added or considered i would consider this a successful post.

Aherm, forgive my spelling. im 20, even though though my spelling takes off several years haha
Parent - - By Kizzurazzgabi [us] Date 2012-03-26 06:56
The more i read the forums the more problems i see people have come across, so i would like to throw my two cents in to solve these problems.

And to add to the hands aspect, stacked twigs can be made into arrows with a sharp-rock/knife/something, a few can be combined with some dug up rocks and rope to make a spear,

something i've been thinking about is without the appropriate tools, making shovels and picks can and SHOULD still be possible. like if you got a rock, you can right away start smashing iron in its solid state,
a little more time-consuming way to mine metals(and the rock should have a high chance of breaking on impact(maybe into sharp rocks?)), but once you finally have the iron, you can build a fire and(with a hammer, twigs, and maybe some rope) make a shovel/pick simple, basic tools.

i think this could add to the feel of a handy/crafty clonk capable of TRULY surviving in a landscape.

Of course there is also another option, having different stages of the same tool, having a STONE pick/shovel or IRON pick/shovel can increase effectiveness in the tools job. with simply a hammer you can turn -3 stone and 5 wood for example- into a stone shovel. negative side to this is that it will take up inventory space, among other things.
and though more crude and unrealistic(minecraft pulled it off) it solves an issue.

(which adds another thing i want to address, having a trash-bin of some sort so unwanted rocks dont pile on the floor, causing the oh-so popular 'i-dont-want-my-hands-empty-so-i-dont-pick-this-crap-up' feeling lol) maybe a fireplace can be used as a trash bin(bonfire anybody?).

Any other ideas?
Parent - By Heyub [us] Date 2012-03-26 15:09
dirt was discussed here; http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=1836
You may find that interesting.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-03-27 17:12
Whoa, wall of text. You can use the buttons above the text field (f.e. [Heading] or b) to structure it and make it more readable.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / My playthrough, feedback and ideas