Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Just some thoughts and ideas...
- - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-04-12 16:24
The game is great so far but there are some thinks i dont like:

first there should be a way to turn buildings, thats very important for the lift. And i would be really cool if the player could bild windmills upside down like in "guardian of windmills", but that is more like a feature, more important is the function to turn buildings.

next is the inventory. I think its to big, i mean maybe its helpful at the moment because you cant do much more than collect items and build things, but in a fight its way too much. each player has enough spare for a sword, shild, bow, club, ammo, and food. I think it would be better if every clonk could carry just 3 items, then the player would have always full control of the inventory. the bagpack should be something like equipement which allows you to carry more things, plus this would need a new equipement slot which could used to customize the clonk. There could be things like armors for better defense or a swimsuit for better control in the water.

after that an idea for a new feature, the deeper a tunnel is the darker should it get. It should be like in Minecraft: the player has to build torches or candels to be able to have more light. that could also be combined with my though about an equippement slot, so the clonk could wear a helmet with a flashlight. Ofcourse the player has to choose between the helmet or the bagpack, which would be nice. If you want to built new tunnel and investigate them the helmet is a big help, but if you want to collect gold or ores the bagpack would be better.

And last but not least the q key. it would be nice to have it as some sort of support key, so its functions depends on what the player is doing. when doing nothing it could be used to pick up thing, while digging it collects eart, while using the pickaxe the clonk is moving forward(like it works at the moment), or while selecting the ground for a building it would shift the buildings. It could really have a lot of actions. a bit like the aktion button in the zelda series.

wow, that was pretty much input i thing, better leave it at that for now. btw you are doing a great job so far. ;)
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-04-12 16:39
Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated!

> after that an idea for a new feature, the deeper a tunnel is the darker should it get. It should be like in Minecraft: the player has to build torches or candels to be able to have more light.

Yes, that's roughly the direction I want to go with the lights system (thread, prototype screenshot). The main idea is to have shadow over everything that's not covered by some sort of "light source" - which might be Clonks, torches or the sun (= a light source that is emitted from "Sky").

The development is a bit stagnant, though. Having a job that involves lots of coding is kind of paralysing for side projects. No promises on when this might actually land in OC ;/
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-04-12 17:11

>bagpack

Did you check out the latest controls? (Development Snapshot, http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/Controls) We replaced the bagpack with a "standard" inventory there. The size of the inventory could be easily changed for scenarios. So in a melee you could only have 3 slots, while settlement scenarios allow 7.

> Equipment

Yeah, I wondered how we'd best implement something like that. In the end it'll probably end up beeing some menu, and I already got some ideas. (Note: wont be implemented soon.)

> The Q key

You observed correctly that it'd be nice to have a context specific action key. So far that's Space. I don't think Q is fitting for such a key, because you can't move freely and press it at the same time. It severely limits your ability to control the clonk.

Your ideas and feedback are much appreciated, feel free to tell us more if you got any. ;)
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-04-13 11:47

>bagpack

>Did you check out the latest controls? (Development Snapshot, http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/Controls) We replaced the bagpack with a "standard" inventory >there. The size of the inventory could be easily changed for scenarios. So in a melee you could only have 3 slots, while settlement scenarios allow 7.

I didnt thought of that kind of solution, so this point is solved.

>The Q key

>You observed correctly that it'd be nice to have a context specific action key. So far that's Space. I don't think Q is fitting for such a key, because you can't move freely and press it at the same time. It severely limits your ability to control the clonk.

Again a mistake of mine, I agree that space is a better choice. So this too is solved already. But what about the features like trning buildings?
btw, will there be an option for the lift to switch it off or on like in the previous clonk titels, so that it works automaticly?

Gues half of my ideas werent helpfull at all, sorry for that.
I thrust you to make the game even better, so dont let me down!
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-13 12:20

> But what about the features like trning buildings?

That is definitely on my todo list and will be done before the next release ;)

> btw, will there be an option for the lift to switch it off or on like in the previous clonk titels, so that it works automaticly?

I'm not sure. Did you really think that this was helpful? In fact, more helpful than the elevator just driving to you if you wait? I never used this mode and scarcely saw someone else using.
If you say now that this mode was extremely useful and all, it's not that hard to recreate it. The hard thing will be to think of an input to enable it since we don't have the menu anymore which was used in CR to do this.
So in short: I wasn't thinking this was worth it.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-04-13 15:01
I use permanent elevator movement a lot in CR, for two reasons
#1 To put stuff on the elevator that falls off if you don't hold it permanently. The most prominent example is the big statue part in "Deep Down". Another example is the wagon (iirc), which is too wide for the elevator shaft so you need to move left/right while riding to avoid getting stuck on pixels at the side.
#2 To avoid it getting stuck by moving to some Clonk. This happens if you play settlement rounds with lots of people or lots of Clonks and the elevator keeps going to some random guy who's just standing there and doesn't really need the elevator.

#1 might be less of a problem now, because it's easier to switch between objects at the same location. Can you give a movement command to the elevator, then grab something else during the ride? Or is it possible to control the elevator using arrow keys while pushing another object?

#2 should be solved by making the automatic elevator movement smarter. E.g., prefer movement to Clonks that are currently controlled. And move to another Clonk if the Clonk you were going to does not enter the elevator.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-04-13 15:06
Hm, another idea might be to make the automatic movement the default, and implement "call elevator" switches that you have to connect to the elevator (mechanisms!). I mean, the automatic movement only starts being a problem for long elevators - and these might be worth the investment.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-04-13 15:08
Automatic movement can be annoying if you need some time e.g. to properly place a lorry on the elevator. But the elevator keeps moving away from you.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-04-13 15:13
True.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-04-13 18:26
Sounds cool, an elevator button
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-04-13 18:32
I had already begun with the whole mechanism system some time ago btw :)
But "now(tm)" I am rather working on some flora/fauna/environment stuff to make the daily settlement scenario more lively.
(the real "now" is the Let's Rock contest of course)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-13 18:54
I wonder, is this mechanism more than just a line connecting two objects, enabling them to call "->MechanismTrigger(bool state)" (state for e.g. lever on/off)?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-04-13 19:05
well, not much more to be honest.
But only with something like that the player couldn't do much - so there are some objects surrounding that :)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-13 19:08
Okay, I just wanted to be sure ;) The main problem I see is that we're lacking receivers, aren't we? We have a lever, a pressure plate is easily done but then who will process the signal? There's only the stone door which isn't of much use because you cannot construct it ;)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-04-13 19:14
Well, yeah, that is the work I am doing there. The mechanism itself would not be much work :D
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-13 15:25

> Can you give a movement command to the elevator, then grab something else during the ride?

Yes, that's what the ElevatorControl library is used for. Try it with the lorry: you can push the lorry while in the case and the lorry will transfer only up/down controls to the elevator. You don't have to grab the case.

> E.g., prefer movement to Clonks that are currently controlled.

Yes, that's already done. The case sorts by priority in a very simple way: cursor > no cursor (and then) closer > more far away
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-13 15:45
In fact, I copied many of the priority stuff from CR, so the old elevator already should prioritise cursors over non-cursors.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Just some thoughts and ideas...