Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Making the editor easier for newbies
- - By Günther [de] Date 2012-05-31 21:24
Given that we've developed the current set of scenarios with the tools we have, we're not critically lacking in capability. But there's clearly a barrier to entry. So what's missing?

Mostly an easy way to start editing a scenario. I had thought about installing the .ocf unpacked, and the scenarios packed, so that the scenarios would show up as single files in the file managers, and a double-click on them could start the editor with the scenario loaded. But that encourages editing the scenarios in-place, which isn't the right workflow for a newbie, and the real contents would remain hidden behind the compression. So how about an "edit" button somewhere in the scenario selection dialog, that would unpack the scenario to a ocf in the openclonk directory in the home directory of the user, and then start the editor with that scenario? And perhaps a file manager window showing the scenario contents at the same time? And the editor could grow a menu item for packing the scenario, or perhaps another button next to the edit button.

Also, the editor should have menu items to start external editing programs for scenario components and recreate the landscape when the landscape.txt or map.bmp is edited. Or perhaps offer to restart the scenario.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-05-31 22:43

>So how about an "edit" button somewhere in the scenario selection dialog

In my opinion, the current game gui should stay to be for players only. Developers should use other tools instead.

Regarding the "its packed!" issue: What would speak against having the oc*-files in an unpacked state in releases?
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-05-31 23:50

> Regarding the "its packed!" issue: What would speak against having the oc*-files in an unpacked state in releases?

Loading the game from unpacked data usually takes longer because hard drive access is the bottleneck. Starting network games takes *a lot* longer, because all game data has to be packed for network synchronization (CRC checks, resource transfer, etc.).

Also, maybe it's just me, but I prefer when a game can get by with fewer files. Makes it easier/faster to transfer via LAN or flash drives.

I wouldn't mind the "edit" button as a little hint towards editing ("Hey, look, you can modify the game and create your own maps!"). Also, it wouldn't be that hard to implement :-)
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2012-06-01 11:07
We can always hide it behind an option. We need GUI for the other developer options anyway.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-05-31 23:02
Which editor are you talking about there? :o
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2012-06-01 07:42
I think he's talking about the engine-mode.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-06-01 11:06
Ah, okay!
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-01 16:48
Agreed
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Making the editor easier for newbies