Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / progress bars + interface
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-30 21:52 Edited 2012-06-30 21:57
I comitted a simple progress bar interface plus two implementing progress bars into the repository - in ClonkRage that was something I re-invented in every other scenario. And since I was re-inventing that for OC again, I thought I could as well commit it into the repository even if it has no users yet.

interface from the file:
// creates a progress bar of the given ID and returns it
global func CreateProgressBar(
  ID /* ID of the progress bar */
  , int max /* maximum value of the progress bar */
  , int current /* starting value of the progress bar */
  , int time_out /* time in frames after which the progress bar closes itself when not receiving updates, might be nil */
  , int owner /* owner of the progress bar */
  , proplist offset /* proplist {x = ?, y = ?} that specifies the offset of the progress bar relative to the calling object */
  , int visibility /* visibility mask for the progress bar, f.e.: VIS_Owner | VIS_Allies */
  , proplist data /* proplist with extra data that is passed to the progress bar */
  )

plus SetValue etc.

example use (reloading of a weapon):
func FxIsLoadingStart(target, effect, temp, load_time)
{
  if(temp) return;
  effect.max = load_time;
  effect.bar = Contained()->CreateProgressBar(GUI_SimpleProgressBar, load_time, 0, 20, Contained()->GetOwner(), {x = 0, y = -20}, VIS_Owner | VIS_Allies, {width = 20, height = 4});
}

func FxIsLoadingTimer(target, effect, time)
{
  effect.bar->SetValue(time);
  if(time >= effect.max)
  {
    FinishReload();
    Sound("Click");
    return -1;
  }
  return 1;
}

Yes, it's that simple again. I don't even have to remove the bar because of the timeout.

PS: feel free to add own progress bar styles - as long as they adhere to the interface, they are dynamically exchangable!

screenshots of the two current bar styles:
GUI_SimpleProgressBar and GUI_RingProgressBar
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-03 09:36
I added another type GUI_BarProgressBar and changed the weird floating messages from the power system into usage of this progress bar. Those are also only shown on power change.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-07-03 12:04
That reminds me of an idea that was floating around 2 years ago: Have a circular progress bar around the cursor while aiming/reloading the bow/musket to see when one can shoot. Would this be possible with your interface?
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-03 13:05
Would be a great relief to have this at least for the musket.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-03 13:28
I think the problem back then was that you cannot attach stuff to the mouse cursor position. One could possibly fake that for when the user is aiming (since the mouse position is transferred there) but not when loading - and loading would be the actually interesting process.

But I guess at least when reloading, the progress bar could be around your Clonk. And that is possible of course.

So I guess if we know what we want, it could very well be possible:

Brainstorming
When?
- when aiming with the bow to show when the bow is tensed (around the mouse cursor)?
- when reloading with bow and musket (around the Clonk)?

How:
- how "aggressive" should the display be? In Caedes where the screenshots are from, your weapon is the most important thing you should care about. But for the bow and musket I don't think it should be too aggressive.
I could just slap the bar from the screenshot around the Clonk - but I don't think that would fit visually.
- how should the bar look when tensing the bow? It could for example be a target with red rings that become more focused the more you load and turn green on 100%

Other
when we are at it: Where else? Charging of the Jar of Winds? Producing stuff? Do we have placeholder numbers left anywhere? (Message("%d", iProcess))
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-03 13:36

> Do we have placeholder numbers left anywhere? (Message("%d", iProcess))

\Objects.ocd\Icons.ocd\Number.ocd
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-03 14:08
No, I mean are messages used anywhere to show progress? I think it was like that at one point with constructions, the Jar of Wind charging, the fire. Have all of them been replaced yet?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-03 14:22
Err, what? ;)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-03 14:31
In the beginning the fire just used target->Message("%d", effect.how_much_on_fire); to display the state of burning. Similar messages were found in many other objects.
Any left, because messages bad?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-03 14:44
I can't say anything about the other messages but I specifically deactivated the fire message. It was annoying and looked more like a forgot-to-remove debug message than something that should stay in the game. If it was meant to stay in the game, I strongly oppose using this kind of communication with the player...
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-03 15:48

>If it was meant to stay in the game, I strongly oppose using this kind of communication with the player...

It wasn't. That's why I am asking whether there are still similar, remaining messages.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-07-03 13:54
If needed, adding engine functions to modify/add graphics to the mouse cursor shouldn't be difficult to do (I guess setting the cursor graphics by script is an outstanding feature anyway). As usual, most work would go into synchronizing this kind of stuff for savegames/runtime join.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-03 14:11
What about adding a option for parallax/HUD objects to have the coordinates offset to the mouse cursor position?
The objects do not actually have to have the correct position, they should just be drawn where the mouse is (like x-coordinate -200 currently means "offset from right screen border")
I think that should be less work than actually modifying the mouse cursor graphics?
Parent - - By Koronis [de] Date 2012-07-03 18:08
How about a progress bar showing your left air amount under water? As we don't have the big easy to see representation in the UI anymore.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-03 20:37
Mh, I am not a fan of that: When you are swimming you most likely want to see exactly what is going on around you. I wouldn't want to obstruct that with a progress bar.
But it is true that currently the display is too small. Also for the health bar - I think we really need a bigger display of that sooner or later now that the backpack is gone.
Parent - By Koronis [de] Date 2012-07-03 21:19
Oh yes good point. no progress bar under water then.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-04 12:10
Bump, what about this:
Small arrows that go from black+transparent to bright when loading. Subtle yet well noticable if you want to pay attention to them.
I could imagine that they are not too annoying :)
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2012-07-04 13:40
I advise against it because:
- using in-game objects (here the arrow) in HUD elements conveys that there is a direct connection to it. However, this would only be true for the bow. Even there, I'm only reloading one arrow, so the number of arrows is misleading.
- using in-game graphics (again the arrow) is visually confusing. This could as well be some "ring of arrows magical shield spell" for all I can read from it, where the arrows are actual arrows. I might even confuse them in a heavy bowfight with arrows going everwhere.
- the graphics on its on is problematic. I think it's visually unappealing and will prove difficult to read while moving over varying backgrounds.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-07-04 14:11
Hm, random thought: Wouldn't it be a better idea in the first place to put the progress bar into the inventory menu? That's where we already show how many arrows are in a bow, unless I'm wrong. Also makes it clearer what item the progress bar belongs to if it should become unclear at some point. WoW-style or something.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-04 15:16
I thought the whole idea was to have the loading progress a bit more in the attention of the player - where you can see what's going on with a quick glimpse.
Having the bar in the HUD would be counter productive imo
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-07-04 15:32
If you make it flashy enough you will be able to read it even without averting your eyes. The right-side design in your original post would have a lot of potential for that, imo.

It's a fine line, really. But once you are trying to make the indicator subtle, that smells for me like it shouldn't be where you put it in the first place. Also "going from black+transparent to bright" sounds like it will always be effectively invisible at some point, depending on the background :)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-04 15:43
Well, at least most MMOs show some cooldown stuff in the action bar / HUD. And that works fine, too. Might be an idea to have something integrated in the inventory slots.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-04 16:20
My impression there is that it works fine because those cooldowns are usually long and don't need to be in the focus.
But I guess it's worth a try. Might work if the colors are flashy enough :)

I'll see whether I can do that today. Shouldn't be too much effort
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-07-04 21:46
Yeah, I like that. Could be made general so switching it on for different objects can be done very easily. I imagine a black or red half-transparent circle (or square with round borders) that starts being full and vanishes clockwise.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-05 19:12
I implemented this.
And it's so subtle that I just comitted it now. Let testing see whether it's useful.
For me it is even on the border to being too small atm - but I had the surprise that elements with the standard HUD category are not zoomed in in the HUD and therefore appear a lot smaller, than I thought they would be :)
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-07-05 22:06
I like the idea, but the realization could be better. Right now the progressbar is blocking the image of the item and the colors don't really fit into the rest of the interface.
My humble idea would be to put the progress bar into the background and make it not a spinning circle, but more of a circle that gets more and more filled out with time. Like you would pour colored water into a fishbowl. This way it would stay in the background, but also use as much space of the item slot as is possible to give information to the player.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-07-05 22:32
Cool, but as Anonymous said, together with the hand, the brimmed circle and the arrow count, it starts to look a bit cluttered. I'd suggest something that blends into the brimmed background-circle better. Did you consider this?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-05 22:57

>Did you consider this?

No, not yet. I chose the progress bar style that you see there because it already existed :)
I didn't exactly get what you meant there, but my next try would be a pie that starts dark and, like currently, fills clockwise. (that might be what you mean, right?)
That pie would be behind the slot and would completely fill it.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-07-05 23:07
yes, its hard to explain. A pacman that opens it's mouth further and further, so to say.
Parent - By Nachtschatten Date 2012-07-07 10:57
Like C&C did it in its sidebar?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-06 19:57
Behold, a pie!
Parent - By Koronis [de] Date 2012-07-07 17:55 Edited 2012-07-07 20:13
Love it! And Nachtschatten: Awesome that you remembered the C&C sidebar first ^^.

While we are at it:
I thought about making the cirlces non-transparent and instead choose a color that will make it easier to distinguish the items inside. Maybe a very light brown? As I can't see my coal at night for example.

Another idea where I just need someone to tell me that it is a bad one: How about keeping the transparency and instead coloring the background depending on what item we have where i.e. weapons red, defensive blue, tools green, ressources light brown, ... (will post a screenshot if it's not understandable)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-04 15:13
I agree
Another idea?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-07-04 19:20
Use small arrows which are not the shootable arrows?
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-22 18:50
FYI:

I added a GUI_ShadedSimpleProgressBar style which represents the old HP bar (the one Krakatoa uses).
I added a System.ocg/EnergyBar.c which provides global func AddEnergyBar() to add one for any object (structure/living). I also added Rule_EnergyBarsAboveBuildings and made Krakatoa use that.

Just for consistency (with the progress bar interface it doesn't need another object and we already had the EnergyBar.ocd twice (Tutorial04 and Krakatoa)).
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2013-01-22 19:44
I'd prefer energy bars in the HUD interface, otherwise :)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-22 20:32
What do you mean? :x
Change the HUD energy bars (below the Clonk portraits) to use the progress-bars-stuff?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2013-01-22 20:33
To display the damage/hp of a structure/vehicle in the interaction bar. (Structures should be reparable in the future)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-22 21:10
Ah, yes.
I will do something similar in the course of the control changes
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2013-01-23 13:39

> I added a System.ocg/EnergyBar.c which provides global func AddEnergyBar() to add one for any object (structure/living).

I think that should be inside the progress bar definition, so scenarios which don't want to use any of Objects.ocd (total conversions) aren't required to provide dummy definitions for stuff referenced by System.ocg (which you can't disable/override).
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-23 14:10
Sounds sensible.
But per se it has nothing to do with any of the existing objects. So I would put it into a System.ocg folder inside of ProgressBars.ocd. Does that work?
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-01-23 14:30
That would work. But isn't there a base progress bar that could provide the function? So you do EnergyBar->AddTo(object target)?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-23 14:47
No, there isn't. That's more or less the point of the progress bar stuff - you could even use a completely different bar for HP display by just modifying one line in AddEnergyBar - they all have the same interface

PS: to elaborate, there are progress bar styles but the style has nothing to do with the functionality (showing hp)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-23 14:51
PPS: I could obviously create a dummy object for that. Might help with overloading etc - System-scripts are so unaccessible.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-01-23 15:05
There aren't more ways to overload a dummy object than there are ways to overload a global function. You cannot write EnergyBar.AddTo = MyOverload; because EnergyBar is readonly.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-23 15:20
True. Then the only advantage would be getting the function out of the global scope
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-01-23 15:38
Yes. That doesn't make sense if you add an object to global scope instead :)

It only makes sense if there is already a definition (like LifeBar) into which you can put it. Or if you have multiple, related functions (AddLifeBar, AddDamageBar, AddManaBar...).
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / progress bars + interface