Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Network User Interface and the Lobby
- - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2012-08-19 11:46
LauncherMode
In fact that Clonk rounds don't start instantly, you are hanging around in the lobby or waiting until a prefered round gets opened, I would apriciate to have a not Full-Screen Launcher/Lobby.
It's really annoying when you have to tab in and out all the time only to look wether a specific round is opened or to write back in the Chat of the Lobby.
Also implementing a better IRC System and something like C4Eye with an alerting option when your friend opens a round would be great.
What I am talking about should be like the Round Launcher(not the Launcher for cheking update)/whatever of League of Legends. In the top an icon that links you to openclonk.org/blog on the left all rounds in the network which changes to the lobby chat as soon as you join the conversation. In the right bottom corner chat tabs.

Another thing: When you click "Start new round" does OC read out every single Scenario plus the entire Description etc.? If yes: Change that! Most players know what they want to host. They just need the name to click on to start the round.

Are icons really necessary? Mostly there aren't fitting icons for each scenario type(there isn't a single one for shooter) and you don't see the specific icons in the scenario.ocs in network.

Also I think the "/alert"-command should behave differently. Giving everyone a mastercommand to annoy everyone. That's something I would only may the host to do.

But this could change with network synchronization which isn't perfect at all. It's hard to find non-laggy rounds in CR. Do you already have there any changes? If not: You should do. I have no idea of network synchronization at all but I hope there is a way to make it a lot faster without loosing a working playstyle.

Themes
I never saw any game before that provides different principes of games like shooter, fast mage melees and relaxed stellement at once.
To keep up this idea, I think including a theme manager and giving the ability to create own themes would add a special kind of a player's personalization.
Huge projects, like we have in CR, where players prefer this single one than all other packs, would be happy about this. On the other hand it should stop where a scenario starts with his own theme so
you don't have a shooter theme by playing Back to the Rocks.  This also would'nt be hard to implenent right?
Parent - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2012-08-19 12:29
Very good points. I specially like the lobby window idea.
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-08-19 12:36

> LauncherMode

I think somebody once made a homepage that kinda does that, and I think it's possible to simply directly join scenarios form the browser with clonk://foobar. At least I saw that at some point, somewhere.

> Themes

The thing that is generally referred to as "Tags"? Would be great indeed. (Time for the "made by boni" tag!)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-08-19 18:06
I saw that one too. The C4Masterserver web interface could be extended to do this. But the protocol should be changed. Not clonk:// but openclonk:// or something.
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2012-08-20 15:26
Maybe even oc:// :D
I think a webservice/interface would be the easiest and least time consuming option. :I
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-08-19 13:00

> Change that!

Careful there. You are talking about other people's free time. No matter how competent you feel, you can't just hand out orders.

> C4Eye/friend system

An idea would be to use the IRC /away mechanism to allow clients to communicate to each other that they are playing (plus in what game). You could then show an icon in IRC or something. That would still have a few minutes delay, as we have to poll that, I think.

Another idea would be to have a central channel where clients announce when they're joining or hosting games - or do it in #clonken proper. I'm not completely sure whether euIRC would like us to spam such messages, though.
Parent - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2012-08-19 15:49

>Careful there. You are talking about other people's free time. No matter how competent you feel, you can't just hand out orders.

As long as I don't know how bad my English exactly is and can't keep up in developementally things with you, I don't feel to have any permission to call me competent.
It was more a motivational thing, because it sounded to me easy and plausible.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-08-19 13:08

>LauncherMode

A friend of mine who is interested in chat/network communications once showed interest in OC and thought about doing something similar to that. I can ask him whether he is still motivated enough ;)
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-08-19 18:33
Auto-switching between fullscreen and windowed mode is somewhere on my todo-list. Technically, it should not be that hard. I just don't expect it to work that well.
(Also, windowed mode is slightly buggy. Sometimes, menus are not displayed at the actual window size but at the chosen resolution. That's a sub-todo.)
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-03 00:12
Done. (And fixed)
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-19 18:33
A friend option would be nice. So you can send friend requests and see who of your friends is online or playing. You could also send PNs and invites to scenarios.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-08-19 21:37
Anything like that would probably require a permanent connection to something.openclonk.org
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-19 22:15
I mean sending invites to friends that are really online, i.e. that have opened the launcher/website.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-08-20 12:13 Edited 2012-08-20 12:16
Or simply IRC? Where bot networks can coordinate using IRC, we can sure do the same. The only real limit here is really what euIRC will allow us to do - and I don't think they would mind clients announcing their games in a semi-machine-readable fashion. Or sending invite messages, for that matter.
Parent - By Saiodin [de] Date 2012-08-20 14:57
Couldn't it be pretty bad for the chat/invite system then, if something weird happens to IRC?
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2012-08-20 15:10 Edited 2012-08-20 15:13
Why don't we simply use our own IRC server? If we want to stick to IRC for game distribution we should consider a stable channel that we can control and keep running. Obviously, then no central instance keeps track of open games or friends lists, but one could implement a bot for that.

Edit: On the other hand, IRC is often blocked by filters or seen as suspicious by programs for exactly this reason. I do think, a modern non-irc-solution (once again, HTTP-based) probably suits most best, and one could still expand on that, when designing and implementing the next masterserver.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-08-20 15:46
Yes, an own server could be a step into the right direction - sooner or later euIRC might not like us using them as infrastructure. But have we had actual instances of IRC being blocked? That would be fairly strange.

To be clear, I wouldn't suggest everything going over IRC. The master server would still be HTTP-based as it is now. But if we're talking chatting and meeting people - well, there's already a protocol for that. And we already have the whole community in euIRC. So no need to re-implement the wheel.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-08-20 22:05
It would be neat if there was some kind of link between the chat and the masterserver though.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-08-21 11:52
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IRC_daemons

None that would run on our webspace
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-08-24 17:28

>Themes

Wait a sec, isn't that already implemented? (Except for the management of the themes)
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Network User Interface and the Lobby