Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / How to pickup explosives (and other material)?
- - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-10-15 21:07
How do I pick up explosive material? I dig to it and then it just drops, explodes and after three or four times it kills me... My inventory is empty. Also pickung up non-explosives is often rather annoying. I have to walk back and forth several times on the object until it's picked up.

Do I miss something control-wise or is the up-picking just not "balanced" yet?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-15 21:12
"not balanced" might be the wrong words, but it can be pretty "annoying" if you are not used to it.

When you have free hand slots you should immediately collect the item, if you only have free inventory, you'll have to be in front of the object (or very close) and hit the movement key that points to the landscape ([down] when walking, [left]/[right] when climbing, [up] when hangling)

This might change in the future :)
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-15 21:15

> free hand slots

Just to clear that up: "hand slots" are the two slots mapped to your mouse buttons (so the two out of seven "inventory slots" with a hand icon).
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2012-10-16 13:18
(Just seeing that we need to distinguish like 5 cases to explain how to pick up an item makes me wonder how any new player could ever get this on his own. :x)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-16 14:58
I've come to believe that our system of having two 'privileged' collection slots out of seven has come to an extremely confusing state especially if you are ignorant of OC's history.

We once had two active and five backpack slots. These were visually distinguishable. Now we have seven slots arranged in the same place. The only difference is two of them having a hand icon next to it and the connection between item in hand <-> collection is very thin (if non-existent).
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-10-16 16:56
Hm, do we have a strong argument for keeping it that way then?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-16 17:45
No, especially since boni already implemented the one-hand-controls in the controls-branch!
Parent - - By Mafi [de] Date 2012-10-16 18:34
One hand controls?? How do they look like? Whats the right mouse button then for. What about shield and sword together?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-16 19:17
The right mouse button is currently free in that branch.

Shield and sword together are cool, yes. But they are the only advantage that you get with two hands - and even they are not a real advantage because with smooth inventory control, you could change between your sword and shield without any effort

A detailed discussion about the one-hand controls can be found here :)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-16 15:13
It is explained in the control configuration dialog.
Parent - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-10-16 19:21
And everyone is supposed to read thorugh this long list and come to the idea to use it as a manual in the first place? Not very user friendly...
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-15 22:46
It is a pain sometimes but I just dig so that the "bomb" is just barely uncovered then push the down button twice. :)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-15 22:49
I do think that's a totally acceptable way to go and collect dangerous items. Doing it the fast and unsafe way sometimes leads to you getting blasted which also is fine :D
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-15 22:55
Yes, doing it fast is a good way to test the special affects. :)
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / How to pickup explosives (and other material)?