Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Network Game Titles
- - By Andriel Date 2012-10-20 11:10
If you look at the OpenClonk main page for the curently running games from time to time, you will notice that sometimes the German title is displayed and sometimes the English one, depending on the hosts settings. (For example "Im Brunnen" and "Rock Bottom") I think if playing a network game, it should always show the English title because:
1. "I don't want to join this game, there are only German players!"
2. "Huh? What's this? I don't even know what type of scenario it is because the title is in German!"

Furthermore, I think there needs to be something like an alert sound or message if someone joins your network game. (Maybe only if OC isn't the active window) I just hosted a game and worked on the accumulator simultaneously because there aren't so many players online all the time. (By the way, what happened to the "How-many-players-are-online-message"?) Although I checked the lobby every minute I missed two potential participants, they wrote "Hi" and left after some time. (Sorry guys) Especially because there is not much going on in the network currently this is an important feature.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-20 13:03
True, especially if we have support for more than two languages at some point.

Also to the lobby, there is the command "/alert" which beeps the host and all the other players, but I guess that could be fired-off automatically for the host when a player joins
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-10-20 13:12
Well, the engine only loads the title for the local locale - and we don't really have a localization concept for game references, so it's not trivial. I wouldn't really want to spam all sorts of languages in there just for the case that someone requests that language. An option might be to check whether the scenario exists locally, then load the title (+ icon!) from there?

And not sure that wouldn't become pretty annoying for big rounds. Maybe just when the lobby is empty and the first player joins? Or when somebody joins and says something?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-20 13:16

>An option might be to check whether the scenario exists locally, then load the title (+ icon!) from there?

Sounds good, but the engine does not know about the scenario definitions at that point, right?

>And not sure that wouldn't become pretty annoying for big rounds. Maybe just when the lobby is empty and the first player joins? Or when somebody joins and says something?

Yes, making that a bit weaker than "blink always" is probably a good idea :)
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Network Game Titles