- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-22 01:12 Edited 2012-10-31 16:11
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-22 06:50
:o
Nice!
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2012-10-22 07:07
Isn't it... too high?

P.S. Nice though
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-22 09:56
I think especially the non-standard buildings (not workshop, sawmill,...) can be a bit larger and more impressive - even the armory is a bit bigger already :)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-23 04:36
It's probably less-than or equal-to the height of the windmill. Mostly structure width is what causes problems; the Shipyard is stupidly-wide, but I figure that's OK because it enables you to get airships. So a little challenge finding/forming a buildsite isn't so unreasonable.

PS: Nice to see you around again! :D
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-22 09:57
The Clonk! It has no arms /o\

Cool sketch!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-22 10:49 Edited 2012-10-22 10:52
Wow! Marvelous idea for the overall structure! I really like it. I especially like the spiral staircase and the teleskope.

Here some suggestions:
+ In the sketch, the tower is 2D and the teleskope hangs a little bit too makeshift on that construction. I think the teleskope should be mounted on a proper holder with one could theoretically adjust where the teleskope points at (perhaps the same way as a sextant)
+ I think it would look nice if the roof of the ground floor wouldn't be of the same type as f.e. the armory (a basic shelter), but actually a roof that goes round the tower in a half-circle.
+ I'd make the ground floor a proper height where Clonks can stand, so the roof should start higher, about in the middle of the railing I'd say. So for the second floor, there is either railing (in the sketch on the left and front) or the top of the roof (on the sketch on the right and back)
+ We could use some ideas for the inventory shown in the lab, a table and a dresser is not exactly interesting. Some sketches on the wall are cool though.
+ There should be an area within the lab that is not visible from the outside which gives some room for mysterio-o-u-s inventor glowing ;-)
+ is there room for a small "hand-crane" on the left railing?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-23 04:22 Edited 2012-10-31 16:11

I love where this is going. :)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-23 08:03
Wow, even more marvelousler. You sketches really get better and better :-)
The window and telescope are cool, I love how the sextant-telescope mixture turned out. To include this bulleye-theme for the windows is also a great idea.

Two things are bit odd though:
1. The door would lead to the backyard of the building? Or has the left section of the building more depth than it looks like. In any case, the door should be either behind something else (staircase?) or be a window so that it is not mistaken as a door Clonks can enter
2. The whole building looks like a cross-section of a building, even more so after seeing how you imagine the top view. Lets make it look more "open to the front" (tools workshop, armory,...) than like a cross-section:
+ the tower apparently is composed of just two beams. At least a third beam that goes to the back should stabilize this construction
+ the railing only goes around the back of the building. I suggest to make at least the railing-part of the building round as far as the staircase. This way it won't cover other important parts of the model. The roof to the right is fine I guess, at least if it continued to the front one wouldn't see the cool window.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-23 08:30
Thanks! I'm really surprised how it turned out.

>The door would lead to the backyard of the building?

It's only visible in the tiny top-view diagram, but there is a little 'shed' on the back.

>so that it is not mistaken as a door Clonks can enter

Hmm, good point. I assumed the glowy bit was supposed to be an office where an inventory was shining a laser through a crystal or somesuch. I could just remove the doorknob? It might be weird to have a part of the building without only a window leading to it. x)

>Lets make it look more "open to the front" (tools workshop, armory,...) than like a cross-section:

Do you have any objections to the writing desk room on the right side? I could extend the roof forward, and have the nice window on the front instead of the back.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-23 13:07

> It's only visible in the tiny top-view diagram, but there is a little 'shed' on the back.

How about the whole area that you shaded a bit grey is the back room? This room would begin shortly behind the staircase, so the depth of the room would be about half of the building. The door can then be fitted behind the staircase (as a texture?) to make it clear that it's just decoration.

> Do you have any objections to the writing desk room on the right side? I could extend the roof forward, and have the nice window on the front instead of the back.

Well then the interior would be hidden there. Perhaps we find a better way to suggest that the building is not just cut off there.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-27 23:20 Edited 2012-10-31 16:12

Rough colouring and some more details added. Pushed door behind the support beam.

We definitely need some easter eggs on the papers on the walls. c:
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-28 00:04

>We definitely need some easter eggs on the papers on the walls. c:

We have enough sketches, don't we? ^^

By the way, I am afraid always that we will loose these great sketches sometime because we have not control over when or not the images will be deleted from imgur. Could you upload them in the forum?
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2012-10-28 00:23

>Could you upload them in the forum?

I propose collecting them in the ressource repos too.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-28 00:24
I really like the idea and the sketch looks pretty awesome now.
I criticised the telescope before, but it actually is pretty neat. It would be a great chance to introduce some depth into the structures. It could rotate, so that it's not just parallel to the players screen. Or point at an angle, since it is built static on the y-axis (I think it's the y-axis...) Just an idea, anyway, great work! *_*

>We definitely need some easter eggs on the papers on the walls. c:

Maybe a Vitruvian Clonk or some source code^^
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-28 17:07
I love the winch it will be a great feature and I am totally for every thing else on it Newtons right your sketches are getting better and better. I love the whole thing I just can't get over it. :D
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-22 11:08
I'm not sure about the telescope. It looks like an observatory for me. It's not as if the Clonks are researching spaceships or something.
But nice construction at the bottom!
Parent - - By ala [nl] Date 2012-10-22 11:52
Meteor-Disaster prediction, weather forecast, watching the sky for enemy blimps. There could be some secondary use for the telescope.

Also: It's cool. I'm all for it.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-10-22 13:10
Indeed, I really like the idea of some more advanced buildings having secondary options, this really adds to the versatile feeling of the game.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-10-22 13:28
But then it shouldn't be called "Inventor's lab", but something like "* laboratory".
Parent - By Maikel Date 2012-10-22 13:57
Laboratory itself is already good name.
- - By Newton [th] Date 2013-10-23 04:41
Ringwaul sends his regards :-) He still had the lost inventor's lab lying around plus he even modelled it and the texture is almost done! Any takers for finishing his work? :-D

Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2013-10-23 09:25
Nice! Where can I find the model/texture?
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-10-23 13:54
It is in the resources repository.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2013-10-23 14:30
Here to be exact!

There you can also navigate all existing models which have been uploaded (if you are not able to clone the repository).
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Concept Art] Inventor's Lab