Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Possible use of lines
- - By Andriel Date 2012-10-23 17:22
I thought about how to bring lines in to the game and had an idea. Basically it's similar to redstone in Minecraft:
You have a trigger. (Lever, Spinning Wheel, ...)
You connect it with something. (Using a line)
Something like an elevator, traps, a door, ....

For example, assuming the ropes are finished:
Have a winch connected to a Lever. Attach the rope to something. Activate the lever an the winch pulls the rope in! Of course you could just use the winch directly but imagine this situation:
You are cutting down trees far away from your settlement and you don't want to transport every single tree personally. So you build a winch at your settlement and a lever in the forest. Now you can chop down a tree, attach it to the rope, pull the lever and tree is pulled to your settlement automagically!
With this use of lines I imagine e.g. mining to be much more costumisable and creative.
Also see the attached concept I did:
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-23 18:18
I actually started working on that around 6 month(?) ago, following the idea in the forums about "mechanisms" (the search should turn something up), so it's not too impossible that this will come after the more important stuff is done :)
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-10-23 18:48
Yep, that's pretty much the mechanism concept, with a few nice ideas. Still a fan of it :)

Edit: Don't forget liquid triggers! I sense the first Turing-complete pumping station on the horizon...
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-23 19:29
I'm not completely against touring-complete mechanisms in games, but I just want to mention that I don't really like that "build giant machines"-thing. Neither the process, nor the influence it has on a game.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-10-23 20:00

> touring-complete

Hehe. That was actually question 1 in my first exam on algorithms - about what the right (German) name was...

1) Touring-Maschiene
2) Turing-Maschiene
3) Turin-Maschiene
4) other: ________

Even I had it wrong because I didn't spot that "Maschiene" was mis-spelt in all three options :(

And I don't mean that we make it integral to the game. This sort of thing is primarily there to catch the imagination of the player.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-23 20:01
You have weird exams.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-10-23 20:03
It was only 1 point and the only such question on the exam :)
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-23 20:12
Even the pronounciation is different and I keep making that typo, I know what's correct. I will try to abstract mathematical objects from these from now on, I need a solution for this...
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-10-23 21:27
Having mechanics and maybe logical stuff in your game has lots of positive effects. See Minecraft!
It's not mandatory, often makes things easier and if people really want to they can do lots of stuff with it. ;)
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-23 21:28
Thanks for making tha clear to me, that's exactly what I fear: It's a replacement for a complete game mechanic.
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2012-10-23 21:32
Emergent gameplay is a good thing, usually.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2012-10-23 22:15

> Having mechanics and maybe logical stuff in your game has lots of positive effects. See Minecraft!

[I wrote something much longer first, but I think it didnt get my Point across. So here's the short version:]
Minecraft mechanics can't be compared. They are the only "interactive" blocks there. In Clonk, however, I fear that a too powerful mechanism system will dumb down the creativity players could develop with the "normal" game elements we already have.
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2012-10-23 22:31
Uh. But things like ropes and winches ENABLE these things? :I
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Possible use of lines