Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Reddit Post/GameDev.net post?
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-27 06:43 Edited 2012-11-01 03:48
Hello all. I was considering making a post to the /r/gamedev board on reddit (/r/indiegaming is also another good community to post it to), as well as a post to GameDev.net's Hobbyist Project classifieds. Also a general 'advertisement' on reddit's /r/gaming board to hopefully attract a wide audience of gamers.

This is the draft:

------

Title
(GameDev.net):  Established project OpenClonk looking for talent to finalize development

OpenClonk is a game we've been working on for the past 3 or 4 years as a spiritual successor to a series of 2D siderscroller/platformers. The game features destructible landscape, multiplayer deathmatches/KOTH/Races, and a Settlement mode where one mines, lumbers, and farms while developing a base to achieve specific scenario goals. You can watch our gameplay showcase/trailer here: (insert link to currently nonexistant 5.3.1 trailer)

We are looking for developers of all types interested in helping to finalize the game, as it is already quite far along the process to being a 'finished' product. If you are interested in joining the project, we suggest you try out the game to get an idea of what's done and what needs to be done.

Some facts for those interested:
• The engine is a very heavily developed rendition of the 'Clonk 4 Engine', spanning over 15 years of work. Getting into the engine code would be rather difficult for those just starting out in C++.
• For artists, the game's 3D assets are almost exclusively done in Blender, and use the OGRE format in game.
• For composers, we are looking for some industrial/western/steampunk style tracks.

Our website is located at: http://www.openclonk.org
Feel free to drop by our forum to introduce yourself to the community.

------

reddit.com/r/gaming and /r/indiegaming post:
Title:  OpenClonk: a free 2D platformer featuring destructible landscape, multiplayer battles, and base-building. Version 5.3.2 just released!
[Instead of a boring description here, the post would be to a video showcasing OpenClonk 5.3.1; at end of said video would be a link pointing viewers to openclonk.org]

------
[Edit 1]
(reddit.com/r/gamedev):
Title:  We are the developers of OpenClonk: a 2D platformer featuring destructible landscape, wanton violence, and base-building.

[url=some youtube link]Gameplay Trailer[/url]

We've just released version 5.3.2 of OpenClonk, and wanted to share our progress with /r/gamedev.

OpenClonk is a free, open-source successor to the Clonk series of games. The game features a fully deformable landscape (similar to the Worms series), and it's gameplay elements have been compared to The Settlers.  Rounds generally consist of hectic multiplayer battles and races, or settlement missions, in which the player harvests resources and constructs a base to achieve certain goals.

If you are interested in the project, we are also looking for developers to help finish OpenClonk. Programmers, Artists, Sound Designers, or what have you; you are welcome to contribute! :)

Our website is:
www.openclonk.org

------
[/Edit 1]

If you see anything incorrect here or would like to change it, please do so. I want this to be a message from the community, not just from me. :)

[Edit 1]: Wrote separate post for /r/gamedev
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-27 14:25
Sounds good to me. Though: "spiritual" successor?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-27 15:09
Probably because we are not officially associated with RedWolf Design and made such a drastic cut with the ingame objects etc(?)
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-10-27 22:05
I'm a bit uncomfortable with phrasing this as a request for participation. Unless people get exited about the game, they won't put time into it, no matter how much sugar we put on top of the "please" :)

So personally, I would prefer this to be primarily a "check us out, we're building OpenClonk and have just reached release X!" post, ideally with all relevant material (ongoing development?). Then one could add "Oh yeah, and if you want to help out - that would be awesome, here's how you get started".
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-01 02:52
I think this is a very valid point for the reddit posting. For GameDev.net there is a specific board devoted to 'hiring' people for hobby projects, so it should be okay for that.

I will write up a separate post for reddit in the original post.
- By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-03 03:35
Made the post to /r/indiegaming. Upvote so for visiblity, if you use reddit! :D

/r/gamedev has a "Screenshot Saturday" tradition where developers post updates to their WIP games as a reply to an admin's post, so I'll make that post tomorrow.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Reddit Post/GameDev.net post?