Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / OCM topics
1 2 Previous Next
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-06-08 08:00
yes. this. exactly!
i created huge chunks of stone some time ago to test out the idea of having a pickaxe that doesn't replace dynamite but still keeps the pickaxe useful.

>How to do this is the question, what would be needed to produce dynamite then? 1/4 of a chunk of sulphur + 1/4 of a chunk of coal is not possible.

simple: sulphur + coal = 4 dynamite

>So what would be cool about carry heavy resources?:

• reintegration into landscape -> terraforming
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-06-08 12:51

>sulphur + coal = 4 dynamite

But I only need 2 dynamite and still need 2 coal for my foundry :(

Why not stack the chunks? So one chunk contains 4 coal and you can put two coal into one building and the other two into another building.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-06-08 13:13
What about this:
You can break the chunks into smaller pieces, either with the pickaxe, or with some kind of refine machine.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-06-08 13:21
I thought about this, after all Dragonclonk once made some kind of refinery.
But having 4 single pieces flying around in the end is no good, because chunks are there to prevent having a lot of stull lying around.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-06-14 18:57

>>chunks are there to prevent having a lot of stull lying around.

True, but the small chunks in the ground will still be there, won't they? Also, what happens to all the veins which are too small to give a whole big chunk? I think if we completely abandon small chunks, there will be lots of problems.
However, I agree that it might not be the best solution, having to break up all these chunks or even build a refine station just to construct your first buildings.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-14 19:28

>True, but the small chunks in the ground will still be there, won't they?

They would be big chunks then

>Also, what happens to all the veins which are too small to give a whole big chunk?

IIRC the engine keeps a list of all material pixels mined (per player/clonk?) so if the player doesn't find a piece of gold in one tiny vein, he will do so in the next.
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-06-08 19:22
no, don't do that. it would make the system too complex in the end.
especially sharing items between buildings would get messy (except if they always shared everything and wouldn't have their own storage, which would just cause everyone to build buildings everywhere to keep from having to transport stuff)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-06-08 14:21

>• Less stuff lying around, single chunks are more valuable

True, less stuff lying around is definitely good. That single chunks are more valuable can be a negative point, though: we are limited in what we can use as the production cost for one building: a building that once took f.e. 2xWood, 1xRock, 1xSteel might not be feasible anymore since the smallest unit (1xrock/steel) is so much more worth now.

>• Your inventory slots are not spammed by resources, you can always carry 5 tools

Definitely good! But could also be solved by better transportation lines :)

>• While carrying the resource, the clonk is hindered in his movement which can add a challenge

Or it can be extremely annoying. That is a difficult balance and can only be a small margin away from each other.

>• Makes the lorry, elevators and other means of transporting resources more important again

I don't see that yet: you still have to walk the way once for the same amount of ressources (assuming one big chunk is about three current chunks). And carry-heavy currently does not limit you too much (which is good!)

>• Clonks look funny when carrying large chunks of something

But only when you can sit back and watch them and don't have to navigate them yourself :D
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-06-08 19:42
The "running around" never bothered me too much. For melees, fast-paced gameplay has always been a key factor, but for settlement it's quite the opposite. People regularly show Clonk Rage screenshots of rounds in which they played 10+ hours in some settlement that included dozens of seemingly boring, repititive tasks. People also build stuff for hundreds of hours e.g. in Minecraft or other sand box games.

Still, the concept of resources in big chunks is really cool. I could even imagine having a whole bunch of pluto's new animals trained to pick up the chunks and run after you so you can effectively carry more.

It may consider some thought concerning scenario design. E.g. for coal, it might be a bad idea because you usually need coal as supplementary material and wouldn't want to be required to run into the cave to fetch a chunk of ore, then run in again just to fetch the coal to get one bar of metal. But then, scenario designers could circumvent this by making coal easily accessible. Or we add a building to create coal from wood.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-06-08 19:53
In the CR scenario Profit Valley, all ressources you blast free are big blocks while all diggable ressources remain small lumps.
Nothing bad about diversity. The hardest part will probably be to find a balance for how much a chunk should yield and how to adjust the item costs
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2013-06-09 19:54
Ahem.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-06-09 20:07
There's a lot of interesting concepts, some of which will require quite a bit of time to implement.

So what do you think. Should hold stuff back until resource and control system reworks are done and settlement scenarios were made a bit more interesting? Or should we just publish the current content as 3.4 (or 3.3.1)?

The current stable release content is getting a bit old, so I'd favor a faster release 3.4.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-12 20:05 Edited 2013-06-13 00:14
Well I'd rather wait with 4.0 but I probably won't be available for the next 9 months anyway. So whatever you decide, you guys must do it without me.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / OCM topics
1 2 Previous Next