Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] New Buildings!
1 2 3 Previous Next
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2014-03-16 11:42
Woops. Yes, of course!
Parent - - By Fungiform Date 2014-03-13 18:18
Hello! I was quite busy lately because I finished my studies. While writing my thesis I had no time to do much more than scribbles.

Concerning the OC graphics: I very much enjoyed working with Nachtfalter on the buildings. To my mind the biggest problem is our lack of the understanding of the technical side and a clear mission what to do.

I am still very motivated to do graphics and drawings  (I do them anyways for myself but don't post them) or even models. It is just difficult for me because I don't know about the technical side to bring graphics into the game or even into blender (though I started with blender again).
Parent - By Andriel Date 2014-03-15 21:19
I'm more than willing to spend my OC time (although it is not much) continuing this project. I would take the modelling part.
I think the next step is to continue (3d-)sketching the core buildings and improve the ones we already have.
e.g.
Sawmill:

>>I actually had an I idea for an alternative sawmill design but at the moment I have little time to work on it... - (Fungiform)

Also I'm really conflicted about the foundry design. While I absolutely love it, it's just too advanced and heavy for one of your very first buildings. One way would be to use the cool things about it (crucible stuff etc.) for a more advanced building like the armory and base the foundry on a simpler design.
Parent - - By Newton [mm] Date 2014-03-16 03:02
Most of the technical side is explained in the wiki. Since I brought that up, in a nutshell:
1. creating models for real time rendering needs more consideration than for rendering to bitmap, I remember Nachtfalter jumping off the OC train in 2009  cause of that (polycount, clean model, uv unwrap with texture, cannot do certain tricks like faking reflections/transparency etc.)
2. create good UV unwrap
3. creating a good texture takes a long time, especially without a common color/texture palette available
4. exporting to ogre3d (from blender) is always a hassle. the wiki article for that needs updating for the new version of blender.
5. adjust the scale/size of the model for ingame usage
6. both exported and source model go into the repository
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2014-03-16 10:58

>>4. exporting to ogre3d (from blender) is always a hassle. the wiki article for that needs updating for the new version of blender.

Done.

Still missing is the guide on exporting animations, but I will do it soon.
Parent - By Andriel Date 2014-03-16 18:58
Also done!
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2014-03-16 11:48
I found a more or less convenient way to unwrap Models. But its required to finish the modelling Part first(?)
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2014-03-15 22:17
This can be an opportunity to recreate all buildings like they were in CR and make them 3d.

As far as I've overheared many people don't play the game, because they say it's ugly.
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-03-15 22:55
*kick*
Parent - By Newton [mm] Date 2014-03-16 02:46
You are in the wrong project my friend.
Parent - By Gamer [de] Date 2014-03-16 14:03
Why are you so hard on him, I think he's pointing out the crucial thing here. All the players from CR are used to perfectly good looking bitmaps (which were easier to make since most of the objects are tiny anyways, and OC is about 5 times bigger) , and the current state of OC is just not looking too good (yet! I hope..). Just think about the material textures when you zoom in too much. OC just doesn't have an atmosphere like good ol' CR  had yet.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] New Buildings!
1 2 3 Previous Next