Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
- - By Newton [th] Date 2013-11-30 09:24
Recently I refactored the code to always use the time_t datatype wherever GetTime() is used. Before, each developer seemed to have used another type. Commonly I found DWORD, int,uint32_t and unsigned int. I chose time_t because it was already used in some spots plus it is stated in the style guidelines in the wiki that we shouldn't use DWORD.

However, looking at the automated builds, time_t seems to be not a portable type after all?

So, do you think we should use another type for times or do you think time_t is alright and it just needs to be defined earlier?
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2013-11-30 12:37
Include <time.h>.
Parent - - By Newton [kh] Date 2013-12-01 11:03
If the fix is that simple and the usage of time_t is alright, could somebody commit the buildfix who has a development environment in which he can test if it compiled alright? (it does currently compile in msvc).

Also, say hello to my new flag,... currently stuck in Cambodia :-)
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2013-12-01 13:20

> If the fix is that simple and the usage of time_t is alright

It's not, but mostly because the range and precision of time_t is implementation-defined (i.e. it could be int, long, float, or double, or something else entirely, depending on the compiler). uint32_t or uint64_t would be preferable in my opinion. (This is also because by convention, time_t usually holds the number of seconds elapsed since the Unix epoch, not some arbitrary value that has a fleeting connection to time.)
Parent - - By Newton [eu] Date 2013-12-01 15:35
What about unsigned long? (and the like)
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2013-12-01 17:48
There's basically no point in ever using long. Its size is specified as providing "at least as much storage as [int]", which is barely more helpful than no specification at all. If you want an integer type with a particular width, use uintXX_t or intXX_t. If you want an integer type that has "the natural size suggested by the architecture of the execution environment", use int (Windows and most Unices get this wrong on 64 bit architectures by having 32 bit ints, by the way).
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-12-02 08:12
Well, timeGetTime() returns a DWORD, which by MSDN definition is an unsigned long. My point is that I don't want any particular width but whatever GetTime returns. If a compiler under one architecture decides that timeGetTime shall return a 64bit signed int, it's ok, if under another architecture a 32bit signed int is returned, it is also ok.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-12-02 12:32
We generally have explicit types in the engine for synchronization between different architectures. Almost all of the game execution and all network functions use int32_t or uint32_t for that reason.

Regarding your change in the PID_Ping packet:

// FIXME: the compiler can't compile 64bit integers (yet), the ping will
// return wrong times if GetTime() returns integers too large for uint32

a) Packets must always pack data of the same size on all architectures. Otherwise, the network will get confused. So you should pack uint32_t or uint64_t - but never int or time_t. DWORD is just the Windows way of saying "uint32_t"; we generally use uint32_t because Linux people hate all caps types.
b) You broke the network here, which was very unfortunate because we wanted to playtest the cool new visual and auditory changes made by Zapper and Clonko on Sunday evening.
c) Since we usually have fixed type sizes in the engine, I would prefer if the same was done for times.

Personally, my vote would go for uint32_t (i.e., DWORD), because timeGetTime() is a very simple and cheap function and we won't accidentally lose the high bits when times end up in a 32 bit int. To fix #521, some occurrences of "(a>b) " would need to be replaced by "int32_t(a-b)>0" and "a=Max(a,b)" would become "if (int32_t(b-a)>0) a=b;". (I didn't test it yet).

But of course an implementation that is using uint64_t and changes time functions on all architectures would also be OK.
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2013-12-02 12:50
It's probably not required to use a uint64_t GetTime() if we do the same thing on Windows that non-Windows platforms do: store the current time at the start of the application, then return the difference. Obviously the internally called function should still return a 64 bit value (I recommend GetSystemTimeAsFileTime), but that doesn't have to leak out to the consumer if that makes it easier. Of course that'll still break if OC runs for more than 50 days (with unsigned values).
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-12-02 13:28

> Obviously the internally called function should still return a 64 bit value

If the time difference is returned as a 32 bit value there is no reason to store the start time as a 64 bit value.
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2013-12-02 17:39
You're right; unsigned(!!) arithmetic should take care of that.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl Date 2013-12-03 15:38

> store the current time at the start of the application, then return the difference.

Doesn't this go terribly wrong when the system time is changed while Clonk is running? Some time synchronization service could do this in the background any time, no? There are monotonic timers on most platforms (Linux: clock_gettime) which take care of this.
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2013-12-03 15:44 Edited 2013-12-03 15:47
Ah, good point; GetTickCount64 is the equivalent on Windows. (Maybe use QueryPerformanceCounter instead for compatibility with Windows XP. I can't wait until Microsoft's support for XP expires in April, because at that point I won't feel required to use XP compatible APIs anymore.)
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-12-05 20:32

>Of course that'll still break if OC runs for more than 50 days (with unsigned values).

I guess OC will never be stable enough to have a single server run that long, still…
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-12-02 18:55

>time_t

Okay, I will change the usages of time_t to uint32_t and put time_t on the "Don't use" list in the developers guide.

>b)

I am very sorry to hear that. What exactly was the reason for the broken network?

> To fix #521, some occurrences of "(a>b) " would need to be replaced by "int32_t(a-b)>0" and "a=Max(a,b)" would become "if (int32_t(b-a)>0) a=b;"

Would that be an overflow-proof way of comparing values returned from GetTime? If yes, I'd prefer to put this into a helper function, something like DiffTime(a,b) as mentioned in #251 because the calculations you posted are not self-explanatory IMO.
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2013-12-02 20:26
Using time_t is perfectly fine for all things that the CRT is using it for (just like DWORD et al. are perfectly fine for interfacing with the Win32 API), so I don't think a blanket ban is justified.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-12-02 22:03

> I am very sorry to hear that. What exactly was the reason for the broken network?

Ping timestamps weren't set before being sent via network, so the ping packet always compared the current time to zero when calculating ping times. Clients pinged out after their first ping packet.
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-12-03 05:23
What did this changeset fix? And, how did it fix it by casting it to unsigned int?

(By casting to unsigned int, we are back to #251)
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-12-03 12:08 Edited 2013-12-03 12:12
The casts to int are just for format strings used for packet logging. printf("%d", time_t) crashes if int is 32 bit and time_t is 64 bit.

I think it's generally a good idea to cast format string parameters explicitly, since we've had this problem a lot in the past.

Btw: Does anyone know if printf("%d", int32_t) is correct? Or does it have to be int? Because I believe int32_t is passed as int a lot in format strings.
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-12-03 13:03
More importantly what about printf("%d",uint32_t) because this is how I will change it. I will find it out.
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2013-12-03 14:04
That should be "%u". (Or rather, PRIu32, but see http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=25533#pid25533.)
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-12-03 14:56
No, you should do printf("%d",int) - i.e., keep the cast as it is. (See http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=25536#pid25536)
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2013-12-03 14:04 Edited 2013-12-03 14:07
"%d" is never the correct parameter to output a time_t anyway, because it's not guaranteed that time_t is even an integer.
Technically, the "%d" for int32_t should be PRId32 from <inttypes.h>. Unfortunately, MSVC doesn't provide that header before version 2013.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-12-03 14:10
So "%" PRId32 is int32_t. But what about plain %d? Is that guaranteed to work with int?
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2013-12-03 14:23
Yeah, %d is for (signed) int.
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2013-12-02 12:47
timeGetTime is Win32 specific, and the headers typedef DWORD as unsigned long, so no compiler targeting Windows will have a 64 bit long. However, OpenClonk doesn't only run on Windows, and therefore making GetTime return a platform-specific type is a bad idea, especially in the context of templates, where deduction will fail if you try to use different types for the same template parameter (for example unsigned long and uint32_t). As Sven said, network packets must have the same representation on all platforms, so we can't use unsigned long there, and 21d05fa had to fix just the other thing: a template call that failed to deduce its parameter type because time_t and unsigned long aren't the same type.