Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Animation: Skeleton file
- - By Marky [de] Date 2014-04-14 00:03
Is there any consensus how the clonk animations in the resources repository should be handled? Let's say I want to add an animation, should I do it in the clonk.blend file? I prefer making animations by theme for example, so would it be possible/accepted to create folders for animation sets? I realize that the exporter will export only the animations in that file, so in the end the artist would have to merge the skeleton .xml files into one for all the animations that he wants to use. I am asking because animations for a Hazard/Modern Combat themed pack would not be required for all clonks, but they would probably be created on the same clonk armature because it is easier to use the existing work. The reason I am asking is because I just discovered how great OC actually is for developping new stuff :D
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-04-14 09:26
I'd say the actions should all be in the main skeleton file - someone always finds a use case for weird actions and I don't think it will get too messy soon.

I have never exported the Clonk myself, but there seems to be a script from Randrian included in the .blend-file that exports actions based on the Actions.txt in the same folder (also, see here)(?)
So, in the end, we could always decide not to export certain actions for certain Clonks easily.

Doesn't blender support a feature like animation libraries or something where you can have your animations in other files than your model?
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-04-15 13:55
You can link any datablock from another file, animations as well.
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2014-04-15 19:13
Sounds good, I'll see how it works out for me, but most likely I'll define the animations in different files. Mostly because I do not want to mess up the clonk file for the others - and yes I know, rollbacks and such are entirely possible
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-04-15 23:51
Actually, it might be nice to have the clonks animations be accessible via script, so that player can make new clonks by just extending or modifying the basic clonk with their own skeleton-file, without worrying about importing (and maybe updating!) all the standard animations. Is that possible? ck, sven?
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2014-04-16 16:50
I think the closest you can get at the moment is that you copy the Graphics.mesh to GraphicsBla.mesh which uses a different skeleton file, and then you can switch between the two in script with SetGraphics. I agree that this is not optimal.

What do you think we should do? I don't understand what script has to do with this... maybe we can allow multiple skeletons to be assigned to the same mesh, so the skeleton files with extra animations can be exchanged arbitrarily?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-04-16 18:15
Multiple files would be cool! Especially if you could place them outside of the original object definitions.
So, for example Caedes.ocd could contain new animations for the original Clonk in Objects.ocd

...actually, even items could contain their respective animation for the Clonk - not sure if that would make sense, though
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-04-16 18:29

> ...actually, even items could contain their respective animation for the Clonk - not sure if that would make sense, though

Pogo-Stick
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Animation: Skeleton file