Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / "Our Documentation" and "Noone likes to write XML"
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-10-13 18:01 Edited 2014-10-13 18:03
On a scale from 1 to 10 - how insane would it be to add the following functionality to our documentation-build-process?

I'd like to be able to (optionally?) write the documentation in some sort of markdown-format, which is then converted into the traditional .xml format to be used for the build.

For example, I have generated this file from this format.

PS: that would additionally be an opportunity to add a decent "related functions" section based on tags and to be able to add certain remarks at a central place to multiple functions (i.e. "For a detailed exaplanation see the GUI docs." for GuiOpen/Close/Update etc.)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2014-10-13 20:20
I don't like the idea to make the build process more complex at all. But if you have the tools to generate an XML out of your markdown format, that solves the problem for you, doesn't it?
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-10-13 21:42
Yeah I'm also against that extra complexity.

I prefer XML over markdown. But if there's a majority for markdown, we should just convert everything into a wiki and use that for documentation.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-10-13 21:41 Edited 2014-10-13 21:43
I actually find the XML format easier to use because it's relatively simple. Using markdown, I never know what exactly is supported, which characters have special meanings, etc. I never really got the hang of writing in wikis.

The "related functions" section is annoying. It's almost impossible to maintain. The only time is useful is when you add links to other parts of the documentation, e.g. linking the object category documentation from GetCategory(). Otherwise, smart sorting into categories is the better solution. I don't know if multiple tags are even needed.

Edit: 8
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / "Our Documentation" and "Noone likes to write XML"