Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Through the window and out
- - By Eisenberg [pt] Date 2014-12-26 22:09 Edited 2014-12-26 23:06
My problem is simple: I can't play any Open Clonk game because pressing right movement and left movement keys for roughly a second makes Open Clonk suddenly close.
Is there any way to fix this?

I'm not sure about what other info I should write here as I'm new to the forums.

My OS is Windows 7 and I'm using the most recent stable version.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I already tried changing movement keys but it didn't work.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-12-26 23:27
That sucks :-(

Can you open the OpenClonk.log file in your APPDATA folder and tell us if there's an error message in it?

Also, does something happen if you hold down these keys somewhere else in Windows, for example while having notepad open? (e.g., some accessibility program or an IME opens).
Parent - - By Eisenberg [pt] Date 2014-12-26 23:48
OpenClonk.log's content is in pastebin.

And no, I don't have any problems for pressing those keys for too long somewhere else in Windows.

By the way; in-game, it happens exclusively with the keys set to walking to the right and walking to the left.
If I assign walking to the left to "A", I'll have problems for pressing "A" in a game. However, if I set it to "Z", I'll have problems with "Z" but not with "A"
Attachment: openclonk-crash-2014-12-26-22-40-36.dmp - .dmp file (23k)
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2014-12-27 12:34
The ATI OpenGL driver shows up in the stack trace, so my first suggestion would be to make sure your graphics driver is up-to-date, if you haven't already. The next step might be to check whether the file openclonk-crash-2014-12-26-22-40-36.dmp has indeed been created, and attach it somewhere here, maybe it can provide additional information.
Parent - - By Eisenberg [pt] Date 2014-12-27 14:40
I attached the .dmp file.

I can't check wether my graphics driver is up-to-date or not right now, though: I don't have access to admin rights at the moment.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2014-12-27 16:39
Thanks for the .dmp file. Isilkor has traced it back to C4Particles.cpp:1015, which reads glBindVertexArray(drawingDataVertexArraysObject);. That's a call into the graphics driver, so it would be good if you can let us know what card and driver version you have, and make sure the driver is up to date as soon as you can.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-12-27 17:58
I've seen particle system crashes when running on old Intel OnBoard drivers as well. I think this will be hard to debug unless a developer gets access to a machine where it crashes.

Is the particle thread doing OpenGL calls anywhere? Or does it access memory after pointers to it have been passed to OpenGL?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-12-27 19:09

>Is the particle thread doing OpenGL calls anywhere? Or does it access memory after pointers to it have been passed to OpenGL?

No, that should not happen. All the data is copied to the graphics card in the main thread every frame
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2014-12-27 19:15
The particle system uses some relatively advanced OpenGL features that are not used in other parts of the Clonk code, so I'd not be overly surprised if old drivers have problems with it. All OpenGL calls are made from the main thread as far as I can see. The particle thread might modify some data after pointers have been passed to OpenGL, however that parts are protected by locks, so I think OpenGL finishes access to that memory before it is modified. Also, the crash seems to happen when the OpenGL objects for particle rendering are created, not when actually drawing or accessing vertex memory. It probably happens as soon as the Clonk starts moving and making these puff particles.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Through the window and out