Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Concerning the 2013-Environmental Pack
- - By ala [de] Date 2015-09-09 11:17
Hi,

Concerning the 2013-Environmental Pack.

Does OC use all decoration objects from this package? If I'm not mistaken only the first update is included.
If not, why not?

If we don't have the objects, or we are missing licenses, this can be handled. I'll speak to Dragonclonk after I understand the situation.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-09 14:21
The objects are in OC in Decoration.ocd. I had asked him for permission when including v1, but if there's a new version he should be asked again (or put a release under CC-BY on the ClonkForge page).

They are used by the following scenarios:
* Mission: The Raid - a few objects (scarecrow, guidepost, tree trunks)
* Mission: DarkCastle - heavily used in the castle
* Mission: Treasure Hunt - painting, guidepost, bridge, bag, lantern, tree trunks, wine barrel, crate

It's also used in the "Colorful Lights" Test scenario.

Please note that when objects are removed or the ID is renamed, all scenarios using them break completely, because Objects.c no longer compiles. I think I should include a safety there, but that's relatively hard to implement (e.g.: Catch the "name not defined" error, remove that line and if it contains a variable assignment, remove all lines using the variable).
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2015-09-10 10:16
I wrote him, he will post them in the forum under CC-By, once he found some time to collect all files (incl. the Cinema4d data).

>The objects are in OC in Decoration.ocd. I had asked him for permission when including v1, but if there's a new version he should be asked again (or put a release under CC-BY on the ClonkForge page).

On Clonkforge v1 was released on 05.04.2013, but he updated his project again on 2.7.2013 and 9.7.2013.

Under "Bilder", in Clonkforge you can view all 43 objects: http://www.clonkforge.net/pr.php?pr=1466
Most of them I have not seen in OC so far. I also counted the objects in the environment folder, and counted something like 15 or 20, but certainly not 43.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-10 12:44
Something I'm concerned about is the style. The color scheme, etc. seemed slightly off from the other clonk textures when he first made the models (more desaturated, sometimes more photo-like textures), but they would still fit in at places. Now, with the design overhaul to more flat but vibrant colors, they will differ from other models quite a bit, won't they?

I still think any kind of decoration is a welcome enrichment, because you can have different styles in different scenarios, or even different sections of a map. E.g. I liked to use his objects in castles and cities and the others more in nature and small villages. But we might consider adding alternate texturing.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-09-10 13:48
I agree that Decoration and lots of it is useful. But we should really focus on making qualitatively good-looking and well performing objects. It is horrible to have to maintain three copies of a sign post, which are all decent but non of them outstanding.
Parent - - By Caesar [jp] Date 2015-09-13 02:17

> because Objects.c no longer compiles. I think I should include a safety there,

Hmm. Why not change the Objects.c generator and replace OCID by GetDef("OCID"), where func GetDef(string id) { for(var i=0; (d=GetDefinition(i)); ++i) if(Format("%v", d) == id) return d; var d; } or preferably some engine implementation?
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-13 03:15
There is already a function called C4Id which does the failsafe lookup I believe. That would help some, but this code would still fail on execution:

var Frobnicator001 = CreateObject(C4Id("Frobnicator"));
Frobnicator001->SetFoo(true);

So I'd have to prefix each call with an if (Frobnicator001) which puts so much noise into the file.
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-09 15:28
Clonk Fest is also using them.
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Concerning the 2013-Environmental Pack