Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / 7.0 - Release Planning
1 2 3 Previous Next
- - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-10-15 22:12 Edited 2016-01-09 21:11

The branch for the stable release 7.0 is here!

Release date should be in December without a more concrete date as of yet. The release will be in accordance to the OC Milestone Project, instantiated and put forwards by the clonkspot people, finishing its first Milestone today.

Until December I will maintain the release branch, cherrypick all polishing, bugfixes and safe features everyone contributes. Of course, everyone can help me do that by either picking sane changes or point out in this thread which changes should be included.

There is still some content developed by the Milestone team waiting on github I intend to include in the release. Apart from that, feel free to point out any feature you want to finish until then. For the stable branch though, I declare feature freeze!

Right now there are 223 open bugs in the bugtracker. Let's get start working. I'd say the big things are any bugs related to Lights and the GUI. Biggest missing feature on the GUI is Drag&Drop.

Bugtracker Roadmap

RC 3:

http://londeroth.org/~ck/dry-release/openclonk-7.0-x64.app.zip
http://londeroth.org/~ck/dry-release/openclonk-7.0-x64.exe
http://londeroth.org/~ck/dry-release/openclonk-7.0-x64.tar.bz2
http://londeroth.org/~ck/dry-release/openclonk-7.0.exe
http://londeroth.org/~ck/dry-release/openclonk-7.0.tar.bz2
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-10-15 22:50
Big thanks for taking the initiative on this one! I would like to add another mission before 7.0, but I don't know if it will be finished. It can also stay in experimental then.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-10-15 23:01
Will you let us in on this secret experiment? :o
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-10-16 00:38
I mean "Experimental.ocf", which is a folder in our repository. So yes, you will be able to experiment!
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-10-16 09:56
I do know about that folder :P but your post was very secretive.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2015-10-16 02:18
Yeah, thanks for starting this.

I would like to see something done about #1418. Peter, do you have this on your roadmap? I'd look into it myself otherwise...
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2015-10-16 08:56
Well, how much does this still apply? I flipped the Y-direction on the normals and rebalanced the border edges until it looked okay for me (328bba2387). But a second opinion can't hurt, of course.
Parent - Date 2015-10-16 13:55
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-10-16 04:18 Edited 2015-10-16 06:33
I have added all open non-feature bugs to target version 7.0. It looks like a ton of bugs, but it's mostly just old stuff that got forgotten and may be out of date now. My idea would be that every entry should be either of these:
a) Fixed
b) Marked as fixed if already done by now
c) Closed if no longer applicable
d) Changed to feature requests and target version cleared for feature requests reported as bugs (so they're off the roadmap)
e) Acknowledged and target version increased for bugs that we don't plan to fix in this release, but should fix at some point (e.g.: this one might be a candidate)

Btw, it would be nice to have target version 8.0 for bugs of type e). Does anyone have the necessery admin rights in the bugtracker?
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2015-10-16 13:51

> Btw, it would be nice to have target version 8.0 for bugs of type e). Does anyone have the necessery admin rights in the bugtracker?

Done, I have added a version for 7.1 and 8.0.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-10-16 08:51
Very well! Maybe you can link the roadmap bugs in the first post (see one of Sven's links).

Otherwise my contribution will be finishing as many tutorials, updating the Worlds to the new objects that have been added (mainly animals) and fixing minor bugs.

I would add to the main focus of this release Music and the new Materials. They should be finished and working properly, but also the main texture map should be as clean as possible afterwards.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-10-16 09:55

> Maybe you can link the roadmap bugs in the first post (see one of Sven's links).

Done.

> but also the main texture map should be as clean as possible afterwards.

Saying you want the duplicate entries gone? :I
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-10-16 12:22
Yes, but also now we have more indices and we should think again about the ordering of materials (and the addition of materials, like Oil).
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-10-16 12:41
Sven told me that the actual index isn't important anymore but the order in which the entries are in the TexMap. Reordering then is always possible without breaking stuff.
- - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-10-26 16:08 Edited 2015-11-23 11:57
I just scanned through the bugtracker and selected the bugs I found most crucial / release blocking. Some of those make the game look like a cheap, half-broken indie game, others are simply are nightmare for players:

Can't see required construction site materials if construction site is directly over the bottom

Suggested fix by Sven2: Expand viewport clipping to outer scroll border instead of landscape border for messages.

Buildmenu texts are rendered before anything else

Suggested fix by Sven2: show non-GUI object messages behind GUI.

Pink blocks in landscape

In relation with solid masks. This is really ugly.

Energy bar disappears on GUI reset

I'd appreciate anyone have a look into the GUI code in the engine if this is my fault or the engine's. I'm out of ideas. This will happen whenever OnSynchronized() is called in objects, so I guess when resuming a savegame or after a runtime join.

Engine didn't save own controls if you restart the game

I haven't tried if this is still the case but noticed it as well some time back. This is unaccaptable for a serious game. :/

Selecting AA in options turns GUI text from black into white

Also something I noticed. Again, very ugly. If changing AA can't be done otherwise, maybe the game should require a restart to make this change.

Objects at the bottom of the map are being deleted

From a player's perspective, this is probably the worst.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-10-26 19:10
I resolved two!

>Energy bar disappears on GUI reset

I'll look into that as well
- By Clonkonaut Date 2015-11-01 19:22
master was merged into stable-7.0 and a new dry release triggerd. RC2!
- - By Armin [de] Date 2015-11-03 14:50 Edited 2015-11-21 19:24
We used OpenClonk 7.0 RC2 to play Missions\Skylands last sunday. We noted four bugs.
1. The sky was blinking like grazy. Im sure there is a tiny mistake in the last time object patch. Should be easy to solve. Mb compare: http://bugs.openclonk.org/view.php?id=1311
2. After the sawmill sawed a bunch of trees, it stopped working. There was a sound loop and it was not possible to use the building. Maybe the sawmill was confused because we threw too many trees in front of the sawmill?
3. The workshop had no energy when I tried to build a pick axe. Edit: All other buildings had energy and the windmill was rotating well.
4. Once I called the elevator: The elevator came down to me but didn't stop at my Clonk's position. Instead, it went further down to a location where nobody was.

Expect of the little elevator problem, these were 3 things where the host was forced to use scripts.
I will upload the replay later.
Attachment: 315-Skylands.ocs (1146k)
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-11-03 16:38
Replay would be very nice. Especially for the missing power bug!
- - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-12-01 12:05 Edited 2016-01-01 19:01
Finally, December is here! The release is due to this month but I haven't specified when exactly. I hope nonetheless that we can iron out the most crucial bugs in the coming two weeks and have a release ready for Christmas.

Over the last few days, I have rigorously skimmed through the bugtracker to either eliminate outdated bugs or to flag them for either 7.1 or 8.0. The roadmap is now at 62% with 53 open bugs. Not many of which are release blocking. In a week from now I will edit even more to target 8.0, mostly those that are merely cosmetic, nice-to-have but not critical. Anything of the severity of e.g. 0001335: Lighs have box shape when rays don't hit solid material.

If you spot those >7.0 bugs and find them easy enough to fix, please do so. Otherwise concentrate on 7.0.

Here's a new list of most critical bugs:

0001224: "Release Clonk" in treasure hunt (and other missions)
This is quick and easy but may prove to be something very valuable to players.

0001238: Crash in Deep sea mining
Apparently something that happens to some people. A release blocker.

0001241: SDL_mixer: Inaccessible audio device not handled correctly
This does sound bad. I am not sure though if this bug still persists.
Not that bad actually.

0001274: Gamepad not working
I use this bug as a reminder. We need to make sure that we do have Gamepad support or if that is too much to handle for two weeks, we should explicitly state that Gamepad support isn't ready in 7.0

0001105: Iron Peak Goal - Lags
As far as I understand, this bug makes Iron Peak virtually unplayable. If we can't fix this by either fixing the goal or removing it / replacing by a much simpler one, I will exclude Iron Peak from the release.

0001365: Can't see required construction site materials if construction site is directly over the bottom
The one bug from my old list that hasn't been fixed. The solution was mentioned in the entry: Expand viewport clipping to outer scroll border instead of landscape border for messages
I have no idea where in the engine code these things are defined though.

0001462: Crash when restarting a savegame with player assignment
Games that do not warn you or automatically unset key bindings if you attempt to bind a key twice are a nuisance to players. It doesn't sound too hard to fix this.

And another two proxy bugs:

0001109: Sync loss on runtime join
0001462: Crash when restarting a savegame with player assignment

Of course, it's cool to solve these bugs in particular. The more general thing here is to sit down and fix runtime join and network savegame resumption in general. This will include two people, at least one engine coder, to have debug engines ready and just try out these things and monitor why the process fails, hopefully being able to fix everything.

To have a little priority list here:

- Network savegames resumption
- Gamepad Support
- Runtime Join
- Iron Peak

I'd appreciate feedback about who's available in general!
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-12-01 12:16
Iron Peak is still playable, I have 38 FPS in a single player round there. So no need to exclude it.

Also I'd aim for 1st of January as a release date. I only have time after Christmas to work on OC and the Tutorials must receive some attention.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-12-01 14:15
That's unfortunate. I really hoped we could have had a release in December.

Regarding Iron Peak, what's your hardware? I understand that it's less a problem with somewhat up to date system and it gets worse the longer the game runs (i.e. the more flags you've built). I don't think it's good publicity to have a scenario included that becomes unplayable after some time. Even if it is no problem for high end systems.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-12-02 10:57 Edited 2015-12-02 11:00
My hardware is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4702HQ CPU @ 2.20GHz (graphics card should not matter in this case). Iron Peak runs at 260 FPS with 3 flagpoles. When did you notice the it gets worse with the number of flags? Maybe GetFlagpoleForPosition just needs to be optimized?

Edit: I will test an optimization using FindObjects (this should also improve the speed of the power system, which might suffer from the same problem for very large settlements).
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-12-02 11:10

> When did you notice the it gets worse with the number of flags?

Never actually. This was how I understood that bug!
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2015-12-02 11:43

> When did you notice the it gets worse with the number of flags?

It was on last years CM, lag increased over the round as we build flags and Zapper did the performance analysis (see first comment). Could be that at that time more flags than 3 were necessary.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-12-01 14:43

>we should explicitly state that Gamepad support isn't ready in 7.0

Gamepad support won't be ready for 7.0.

>I have no idea where in the engine code these things are defined though.

I looked for some time but quickly got lost in blitting of single characters somewhere. Sven?
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2015-12-01 14:59

>Gamepad

It should probably wait for the controls and pass-through solidmask to finish, so that a decent control scheme can be created. Otherwise we soon would have to touch it again.
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2015-12-02 02:00

> 0001238: Crash in Deep sea mining
> Apparently something that happens to some people. A release blocker.

This one affected every scenario that used scenario sections. (We only use them in DSM at the moment.) It's fixed.

> 0001241: SDL_mixer: Inaccessible audio device not handled correctly
> This does sound bad. I am not sure though if this bug still persists.

I don't remember anyone doing stuff about this, but to be fair, most people should have working sound devices on platforms we're using SDL_mixer on (I only noticed it because I ran OpenClonk on a VM without a sound card).
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-12-02 10:24
Great, thanks!

> This one affected every scenario that used scenario sections. (We only use them in DSM at the moment.) It's fixed.

Does this have something to do with: http://bugs.openclonk.org/view.php?id=1379 (i.e. is that one fixed, too)?
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2015-12-02 12:05
Judging from the stacktrace posted in the comments I'd say that's a different bug.
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-12-02 23:07
By the way, aren't we beyond "Beyond the Rocks" by now?
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2015-12-02 23:19 Edited 2015-12-02 23:38
Over the Rocks and far away? :P
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2015-12-03 15:16
Where does it still state that? I think I removed the subtitle starting at 5.0 or so.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-12-07 14:13
We are now 'At the Milestones'
- By Zapper [de] Date 2015-12-25 23:17
Mt. Brame could really need some love before the release.

I think the map was originally intended as a puzzle for OC devs by ck? It sure plays like one. It's pretty hard and I guess you can mess up pretty quickly, too (by wasting all three flints, losing the one metal, etc).
The idea is pretty nice. So maybe adding more fail safes could make the scenario really enjoyable? Or at least hinting the players at where the chests are so that you don't have to just know where they can be found.
- - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-01-02 19:04 Edited 2016-01-09 13:11
Happy New Year everyone!

Obviously, we failed to reach Maikel's ideal release date but I would really like to wrap things up now.

I'd appreciate everyone involved in current development to state if there's anything you are currently working on that you consider a release blocker (must be finished before a release). In doing so, please also consider if parts of your stuff can be done by someone else who does not have such vital things to do (I volunteer). Write down every task.

The roadmap's at 81%. Please also say if there are any bugs left you consider release blocking as well. If these are not targeted for 7.0, please do so. I will once again rigorously go over the roadmap and close or move bugs.

Two bugs I would like to have opinions on are these:

0001529: Disable splitscreen
0001530: Cannot jump when on upward moving platform

There are two very important topics for the upcoming release one of which I am clear on and one not:

Gamepad support

The upcoming release will not feature gamepad controls. We should prominently point this out, even consider deactivating the possibility to select gamepad in the options at all!

Mac Support

There have been issues with OS X in general. From my understanding because of some OpenGL features we use, Mac users were unable to run the game at all. This is unacceptable for a release, to drop support for a whole operating system. I would like an update on how this situation might be improved. I consider this release blocking.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2016-01-02 21:10

> There have been issues with OS X in general. From my understanding because of some OpenGL features we use, Mac users were unable to run the game at all. This is unacceptable for a release, to drop support for a whole operating system. I would like an update on how this situation might be improved. I consider this release blocking.

I am working on resolving this eventually (by moving to using a OpenGL 3.2 core profile), but I'm not sure how much longer it will take. For the release, my suggestion would be to revert the commit which introduced the OpenGL 3.0 dependency, in the stable-7.0 branch only. It is not a critical feature. For 8.0 we'll then move to a OpenGL 3.2 core profile, which is supported by Mac OS X. I have a Mac, so I can actually test this.

Before going that road it would be good to know what the state and plans of the stable-7.0 branch are. It's been about two months since it was touched. Are we cherry-picking individual commits from master into there and release that, or do we make a new branch from the current master?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-01-02 21:27
I think we want the full master. Maybe new developments for the engine can be done on a different branch for a while?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-01-02 21:34
My plan was to cherry pick if any cherry picking is necessary (wasn't so far, i.e. until two months ago). Bringing that branch up to date is the plan.
Which commit was it that introduced the dependency? Can we revert that without breaking any commits after that one?
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2016-01-02 21:49
https://git.openclonk.org/openclonk.git/commit/790219ac7eeb0be340c5063dff6944abcf520f7a

Probably there will be a conflict if one reverts that now, but I can take care of that.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-01-03 13:57

> Probably there will be a conflict if one reverts that now, but I can take care of that.

That'd be nice. :)
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2016-01-05 03:30 Edited 2016-01-05 03:32
I did this and pushed to a branch called revert-opengl-2.1. This should be merged or cherry-picked only into stable-7.0, not master.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-01-05 11:41
Great, thanks. Can you give notice when there are future commits in master that depend on ogl 3.0 / the reverted commit?
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2016-01-05 16:19
I'll hold any such commits back until after 7.0 is released (or until we declare that all 7.x stuff happens in the stable branch only and master is free for new developments).
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-01-03 23:49 Edited 2016-01-09 13:10
Release blocking:

0001535: Mouse Wheel not working under Linux

Would be nice for a release:

0001529: Disable splitscreen
0001536: Disable Gamepad Controls

Both of these offer options to players that are currently broken and will look broken if selected.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2016-01-05 12:53
Has 1535 been fixed? I can scroll just fineā€¦
Parent - - By Mupf Date 2016-01-05 13:21
Nope, still not working for me.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-01-05 14:22
What linux OS are you running?
Parent - By Mupf Date 2016-01-05 15:08
Ubuntu GNOME 15.10, as stated in the bug report.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-01-05 14:22
What linux OS are you running?
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / 7.0 - Release Planning
1 2 3 Previous Next