Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Problems when playing Splitscreen with Controller
- - By Anonymous [at] Date 2016-01-04 18:02
Hello,

I tried to play OpenClonk with my little brother yesterday. I was playing with keyboard and mouse while he was playing with gamepad (he used an XBoxOne controller). We had several problems and tried both the stable release and the last development snapshot.

In the stable release:
We were not able to play in Splitscreen. We tried the Guardians of the Windmill scenario. I could control my Clonk with keyboard without problems, but if he used the sticks of the Xbox-controller to walk he opened the game menu on my screen. His clonk didn't move and no menus were opened on his screen.
We were also not able to change the controll keys for the gamepad in the options menu.

In the development snapshot:
It was also not possible to play splitscreen with the dev snapshot. I could control my Clonk with the keyboard without problems, but when he used the sticks of the Xbox-controller, his clonk didn't move. However, if he pressed the buttons on the controller, his Clonk did react, e.g. it shot with the bow. All buttons did work, but he couldn't walk.
We were also not able to change the controll keys for the gamepad in the options here, too.

We tried the controller in singleplayer mode both with the stable release and the dev snapshot. In singleplayer, there were no problems with the XBox-controller and everything worked well (walking, jumping, shooting ...). There were also no problems in singleplayer with keyboard and mouse. So this seems to be some bug with splitscreen?

If it helps you, we also do have an about 15 years old Microsoft gamepad (looks like this one). When we use that one to play OpenClonk in singleplayer, it doesn't work to move, but when pushing the buttons, the clonk shoots, jumps etc.

We were playing on Windows 7 64bit. I would have put this in the bugtracker, but I have really no idea how to post there.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-01-04 18:05
Hello, splitscreen is currently broken and will be disabled in the next release. The gamepad only partially works and will also be disabled for the next release.

So for now we can only offer you a multiplayer game via LAN using two PCs.
Parent - - By Anonymous [at] Date 2016-01-04 18:19
Oh. That's a bummer. We really loved playing Clonk Rage and previous titles in splitscreen. In fact, Clonk is played here among family and friends since ages because it offers such a great range of gameplay - settlement, racing, fighting ... There is nothing you can't get with clonk. And there is no greater pleasure than playing together with your friends sitting right next to you. (I can remember whole afternoons spent with clonk together with three friends on one computer ...). Splitscreen is surely the main reason we are still playing clonk.

Are there any plans to repair splitscreen and put it back in the game?

But besides the splitscreen problem, I really have to say that OpenClonk looks very promising. I like the look of the game, especially the background image of the main menu in the dev snapshot. It looks bright, shows you some really clonky landscape and somehow invites you to play (things I couldn't say about that blurred background image of the stable release, I think its good you replaced that one ;) )
My little brother spent hours this morning playing in singleplayer and will definitively continue playing :), so I can't say much about the gameplay at the moment. He hardly gave me a chance to try it myself ^^
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-01-04 18:27

> Are there any plans to repair splitscreen and put it back in the game?

Definitely yes. Unfortunately, we won't be able to finish that for the upcoming release (scheduled this January). There have been many changes that broke these features and getting them to work again will be a good amount of work.
I'm positive however 8.0 will again have splitscreen and gamepad support.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-01-04 18:28
Cool, then spread the word!

Yes I think all of our experiences encompass sitting with between 2-4 people behind a single PC looking at 2-4 little creatures throwing rocks at each other :D

Regarding splitscreen and gamepads, we discussed this a bit yesterday and established that newer gamepads have enough buttons and thumbsticks to support playing OC, so we will attempt to get that working for the next-to-next release (there is a release planned this month, which will be too early).
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-01-04 18:29

>Are there any plans to repair splitscreen and put it back in the game?

Yes, definitely.

The major work there will be to fix the gamepad support. The new menus and controls (picking up etc.) need completely new gamepad support.
The splitscreen should (in theory) work and there are probably some bugs because noone could really test that in the last time.
- By Anonymous [at] Date 2016-01-05 11:03
Great to hear that you have plans to put splitscreen back in the game. I'm looking forward to that! In the meantime, we'll surely have fun with singleplayer, too :-).
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Problems when playing Splitscreen with Controller