Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Steam Controller Configuration
- - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-02-10 20:53
As gamepad support is one of the big todos for the next version, I tried creating a Steam Controller configuration for the current controls. The Steam Controller works by registering as mouse, keyboard and gamepad, allowing it to send any of these controls to games.

Here's the control scheme I came up with (I'll attach the configuration file to this post):

Issues I had with the engine:

- With GTK mode, the Steam overlay doesn't register keyboard presses, so using the game overlay properly isn't possible. The overlay itself does show when opening it with the Steam Controller, but you still can't use the keyboard.

- With SDL mode, the Steam overlay works fine. However, the mouse scroll wheel and the right mouse button don't work (I reported a bug for that). Additionally, I think that antialiasing doesn't work.

- It's still not possible to play split screen with this as OC doesn't differentiate between separate mice and keyboards. This really should work, even if proper gamepad controls are added.

- It isn't possible to create a new private control scheme. It would be nice if players could add their own scheme in the controls menu instead of overwriting the only scheme in the options menu. Such custom controls should probably be saved in the player file instead of the system configuration as well. This would allow players to carry their keyboard or controller configuration to a friend's computer without having to set it up before playing.

- It's really confusing that the control set is selected in the player options. This made sense with previous Clonk titles where users could choose between four control sets on the keyboard, but selecting which controller or keyboard/mouse to use for each player should be done right before or after the game is started.

Comments about the control scheme:

- The Steam Controller's "Mouse Region" mode means that each position on the touchpad is mapped to a position on the screen. Consequently, touching the lower left of the touchpad will make the Clonk aim to the lower left etc. This works really well.

- Controlling the inventory menu works (the touchpad is precise enough), but proper keyboard controls are definitely necessary.

- I had difficulties with the controls for "Jump" and "Roll". Both are things you do while running. This isn't an issue on the keyboard as you can easily press W or S while pressing A or D, but with the analog stick, you can only properly press one direction at once. For platformers, jumping is usually bound to one of the ABXY buttons for this reason. This doesn't work for OC as you'll usually want to have your thumb on the touchpad for aiming. In the end, I bound Jump to "touchpad click" and Roll to one of the buttons on the back, but this won't work for an Xbox controller. For the Steam Controller, it would probably be best to remove the double binding on up and down as I was jumping accidentally a lot, and executing a successful roll is pretty much impossible with the analog stick.
Attachment: controller_configuration.vdf - Steam Controller configuration file (2k)
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-02-10 22:05
Cool, I ordered a steam controller and can't wait to test this!
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-02-16 23:05
How do I import this configuration file?

And how do I start OpenClonk from steam?
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-02-17 00:13

>How do I import this configuration file?

I will try to upload the configuration to Steam as well so that messing with those files isn't necessary. If someone else wants to try this out: Launch OC from Steam, save an arbitrary configuration, locate the configuration file in the Steam folder (name your configuration, then grep for that name) and put my file in the same directory it's in.

>And how do I start OpenClonk from steam?

On Windows, just add the executable. On Linux, you need the .desktop file.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Steam Controller Configuration