Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Some suggestions
- - By Armin [de] Date 2016-04-10 00:59 Edited 2016-04-10 11:15
Just some random thoughts and suggestions that came to my mind over time.

The meteorite's explosion radius is too big. You will never see metor rain like in CR because 1 meteor per minute is alrdy enough to shatter the base of a careful player. And I don't even know what the average explosion size is after looking at the script because it has some math with speed. I wouln't do that. Just write Explode(15); or something. It is already hard to predict how big explosion sizes are because explosions are not perfectly round atm. So why bring the speed in math? When stuff falls from the far universe to us, it doesn't matter if it falls 100m more or less - if it falls into a tunnel or not. It would always be damn fast.

Lava freezes to Rock and not to ashes. I would revert this. This destroys awesome situations like this.  If a volcano hits your base, it is already a desaster because lava itself is so damn dangerous and more dangerous than in CR. Also you would have to dig stuff away again and again. Now you even have to panic because if it freezes you have annoying Rock in your base. Actually the whole map would be full of Rock sometimes. We don't have a scenario will volcano spam as far as I know so I can not show. There is at least one asbect where stone removing is easier than in CR because you have the pickaxe... Still, it can be super annoying and ugly when everything is full of Rock. Bet you can't pickaxe the rock away as fast as new lava freezes? If a game is very long, the endgame should open new paths with diggable paths so the round can finally be finished. Rock does make the game harder and harder the longer it lasts. Also, with ashes you can tell where volcanos were because ashes is a rare material.

Change the color of the three earth textures to the Clonk Rage color. The texture and the structure is perfectly fine, only some color or darkness options in GIMP would be necessary for this.

Start placing some goldnuggets and zapnests in the earth in scenarios where it would be okay. Before OC, it felt nice to have 25% Rock 25% Loam 25% Flint 25% Gold + maybe bones and zaps in the ground. It is very normal for hornets to build nests in the earth. That's actually how some hornets became the first ants on this planet.

Rename Zaphive to Zapnest. All Google translations of hive mean bee nest or are related to bees, so zap hive means "zap bee nest"? I don't know what a native English speaker who never played Clonk thinks of when he hears zaphive. Maybe zaphive is better.

Rename Diamond_Socket ID to DiamondSocket because normally IDs don't use "_". Except rules etc...

Rename Nugget to Gold.

Rename Javelin to Spear.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2016-04-10 10:22
Not too fond of changing names and texture colors without any reason. It seems like there is a lot of personal preference in renaming "javelin" to "spear" for example, while a it's actually more correct to use for a throwing spear (compared to a long spear used to fight against mounted soldiers from the ground).
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2016-04-10 11:45
Things like the name nugget annoy me more if I have no confirmation that others may dislike them too but noone mentions it so I needed to know what others think.

>texture color

http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=31161 https://i.imgur.com/xHOY5FW.png
Earth is the most used material in Clonk, so you often look on it. And a light material just feels more friendly and colorful.
The contrast between tunnel and earth would be bigger and the tunnel texture could be more lighter and colorful as well.
Also, whats the reason to not have the old earth color? We can darken the rock, too. But it feels like the color has been a very succesful in the past so why would you make rock darker.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2016-04-10 12:58
Yes, I also think brighter earth may look better.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-04-10 10:27
I agree with Matthias on the renaming / recolouring. Also, Javelin and Nugget are much more precise names. Google isn't the very best source for translation either. "Bee hive" a perfectly normal term.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-04-10 16:57

>The meteorite's explosion radius is too big. You will never see metor rain like in CR because 1 meteor per minute is alrdy enough to shatter the base of a careful player.

If there was an environment object that causes a meteorite rain like in CR, it would likely set the average size of the meteor lower (so that the explosion is also smaller). I don't see how decreasing the meteor explosion radius would benefit the current scenarios. I, for one, like the bigger explosion because a single meteor poses a higher threat.

>Lava freezes to Rock and not to ashes. I would revert this.

That really does sound possibly critical. At the one who made it like that: is there a reason?
I can see the dangers of having a highly annoying landscape.

>Change the color of the three earth textures to the Clonk Rage color.

If you want, you could make example screenshots. I see that the higher contrast with tunnel might be good. But Matthi balanced all other textures around the color scheme of the earth, afair. So just randomly changing the color might also just look random (as opposed to the textures following some sort of theme).

>Rename Diamond_Socket ID to DiamondSocket because normally IDs don't use "_". Except rules etc...

No strong feelings there. It IS a namespace though (Diamond and Diamond_Socket unlike e.g. the GrapplerHook but similar to the Meteor_Alien or BoilingLava_Bubble).
At least that was the reasoning back then - comments on that, anyone?
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2016-04-11 12:22

>If you want, you could make example screenshots.

I will try some soon.

>diamond name

The holy http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/C4Script_Style_Guidelines says ParkourCheckpoint & BalloonDeployed are right.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-04-11 12:38

>The holy http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/C4Script_Style_Guidelines says ParkourCheckpoint & BalloonDeployed are right.

Right! Then it should be changed of course
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2016-04-10 17:08
The darker and less saturated earth texture is a design decision to
a) Make important materials stand out more
b) Make objects in or near the earth stand out more

It's true that earth is the most common material on the screen and that's exactly why it is made less visible. I do not know who exactly set this color but I considered it a huge improvement. I like the landscape way more now than in Clonk Rage.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Some suggestions