Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / A (hopefully) small problem.
- - By Anonymous [de] Date 2010-01-17 13:47
hey guys!
i just thought about giving it a shot and compiled it unter ubuntu, running on my asus eee.
looked promising at first, but once i ran it, it occured to me that the controls don't work. at all. it just doesn't react to both mouse and keyboard.
i followed the readme from installing the required development packages to "autoreconf -i && ./configure && make" precisely, with the sole exception to use "--with-gtk". and yes, i copied it into the "planet" folder :) .

did anyone encounter a similar problem before? what did i do wrong?
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-19 14:38
you should use CMake.
just generate makefiles with cmake and then run make config and make.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-01-23 00:57
That's unlikely to help: The code to create a window and the code to receive keyboard/mouse input are joined so tightly that the build system cannot do anything that would break only one half. So it's likely a problem with the code itself.
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-23 12:24
But why isn't Clonk made with platform independend SDL? You would only need one Code for window, input etc. and the fullscreen would work for windows, too.
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2010-01-25 00:51

> and the fullscreen would work for windows, too.

Fullscreen works in Windows.
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-25 09:16
sry, i ment the windowed mode
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-25 17:23
Last time I compiled, that was also working well.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-01-25 21:39
Very simple reason: SDL can only do one window.

Also, Clonk totally is made with SDL, and you can compile Macosx and Linux versions which use it instead of xlib to create the window and receive input. (On macosx, the xlib version probably doesn't work anyway, though it should be fairly trivial to fix that.) On windows, the concept of "which platform am I using" and "which gui library do I use" was conflated, so you'd have to change a lot of ifdefs and probably change some code to get the SDL version working.

But Clonk is also made with the platform independent GTK+, which has a lot more features than SDL. It might actually make more sense to switch to that than to switch to SDL 1.3, which will support multiple windows. GTK+ provides a complete platform abstraction including a lot of stuff Clonk currently has reimplemented for both POSIX and Windows, like for example file system functions.
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-25 22:38
If you think, GTK+ is the right thing, ok.

But I hate it having more than three different implementations of how a window is created. (And I hate C Preprocessor)
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / A (hopefully) small problem.