Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Progress timeline of OpenClonk
- - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-05 00:14 Edited 2010-02-05 00:22
I have read around this forum for a few days now, and just to clarify for me, and anyone else that might be confused, just when exactly have the major events of OpenClonk happened.

A few examples would be:
     When was it decided to make "OpenClonk"
     When was the source code released
     How far from being a complete game is "OpenClonk"
     Do you have a date in mind when "OpenClonk" might be finished, (I know that this one will be highly unlikely)
     when each of the previous versions was thought up, and when each was released

Remember, all of this in a timeline format would be nice, like a list of each occurence, oldest at the top newest at the bottom, with a year/month/day date before each entry.

Also just a few of my thoughts on this game,  I stumbled across Clonk Endevour as its freeware version in another forum somewhere.  After playing it and getting to understand the game i googled it to find out more.  When i found a whole site for it I was excited, (cool there might be more fun in store).  I downloaded ClonkRage and was satisfied with the way the game was streamlined and smoothed from the previous version.  I plan on buying the full version so that I can make my own scenarios.  Ive tried to do this in Endevour, but it keeps giving me some kind of weird errors, I can think of many things in the way ive tried setting up a scenario's properties that might cause this.  But anyway back to the main subject.  I made this topic so that future noobs can have a straight and simple version of just how old Clonk is, and just how it has evolved.

Thanks for reading this, these games rule, and LONG LIVE THE GAMES OF CLONK!!!
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-05 02:41
Hmm timeline. Thats interesting for me too, so here are the results of my research of the beginnings:

February 2009
Internal development and betatest on the next 2D Clonk title, working title "Clonk Zoom", begins. Awesome new feature: Zoom.

4th of March 2009
Matthes announces in the internal forum that he can't work on Clonk anymore. ClonkX will be delayed for indefinite time, Clonk Rage should be final and the next 2D title should be developed self-organized as an inofficial successor - like the GWE. Günther argues for making Clonk open source which is followed by a long discussion. Matthes is open to this suggestion and signals that it's OK for him if Clonk goes into that direction.

28th of March 2009
Newton pushes to have a public development platform like a forum, wiki etc. on openclonk.org. Matthes argues for having it strictly in English.

29th of March 2009
Official announcement in the public forum about the discontinued ClonkX game and the Clonk 2D successor.

March/April 2009
The English forum, wiki and bugtracker on openclonk.org are set up.

22nd of April 2009
Matthes agrees to put the source under the ISC license as soon as certain preconditions are met (the source and resources must differ enough from the still closed source Clonk Rage game).

8th of May 2009
Matthes releases the source (but not the content) under the ISC license. First commit on the OpenClonk HG repository.

23rd of May 2009
Official news item on Clonk.de about OpenClonk.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Progress timeline of OpenClonk