And for people with four or more mouse buttons:
-Scheme 2:
LMB - A item use
RMB - B item use
3MB - A item secondary use
4MB - B item secondary use
Shift/Ctrl+LMB - A item use
Shift/Ctrl+RMB - B item use
Or we could just use the first scheme with third and fourth buttons ALSO be secondary use...
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-15 20:08
Everything looks great, except...

>Shift/Ctrl+LMB - A item use
>Shift/Ctrl+RMB - B item use

huh?

I think a better scheme 2 would be:
LMB - A item use
RMB - B item use
3MB - A item secondary use
4MB - B item secondary use
Ctrl+LMB - A item throw
Ctrl+RMB - B item throw
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-23 10:17
EDIT: Oh, I misunderstood you. That's right, it's wrong. Thansk for correcting me and sorry for error itself ^^
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2010-02-15 20:48

>With the system we currently have, this would suggest a Clonk can have more than 2 arms.

He might just switch to the other item automatically when using it.
Parent - - By DarkEagle [de] Date 2010-02-17 19:53
I'd really like to see more possibilities on jumping behaviour. The player should have the opportunity to vary the intensity of jump height, e.g. by pressing the "up" button for a low jump and holding it shortly for a higher jump.

Also I'd really like to see more possibilities on one-on-one fights using sword/club and shield. Blocking with the shield should not block every attack, but block depending on how your opponent attacked you. Let's see how Street Fighter works here. Blocking will block normal attacks and attacks from the air. Duck-block (holding "down" button while blocking) will block normal and duck attacks. Maybe adding some simple special attacks (e.g. pressing [down] [forward] [attack] for a somewhat stronger hit).
Don't know if that goes a bit too far away from original Clonk fighting, but it would surely give the game more depth.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-18 08:06
Well, have you played OC yet? And followed some discussions about fighting? You can actually now change your jump by pressing left/right to alter your jump. That should be enough control over the jump.
Fighting will not be done static like in CR, but free and with different attacks. And with using the mouse you can easily specify directions for your strikes and blocks.
Parent - - By DarkEagle [de] Date 2010-02-18 14:45 Edited 2010-02-18 14:49
To jumping behaviour:
I'm talking about situations where the jump is just too high (e.g. you bounce off the ceiling and fall into the ground; see attachment). (I know that it's possible to hangle in my painting, but I hope that you see my point)

To fighting:
Ok, saw that discussion. What's the progress on that topic?
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-18 14:54

> What's the progress on that topic?

I can tell you that there are no random combats anymore. Everything else is under tough development
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-02-18 14:58

>Ok, saw that discussion. What's the progress on that topic?

I did indeed have progress to commit there. The problem is I cannot test my progress because my developers mode doesn't work :(
I have to fix that before being able to test and commit my stuff. The idea is basicall that you use weapons like the two-handed-sword from CR Metal and Magic
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-02-18 16:08
Does it work with a nightly build?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-02-20 11:52
No it doesn't.
I am still getting [11:49:25] Error creating dialog window: Die angegebene Image-Datei enthält keinen Ressourcenabschnitt.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-20 14:12
Did you try erasing your configuration in the registry? Perhaps some option is causing this
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-02-20 16:02
Doesn't work
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-02-20 21:20
Apparently CMake fails to build and link the engine.rc.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-02-20 23:39
I think I checked this and it was in the project. Is anyone else having that problem?
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-02-20 23:59
I have fixed the problem in the meanwhile.

It's a bug (or a not-implemented feature, as you turn it) in CMake: http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=4068.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-02-21 18:23
Oh, thanks
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-02-21 19:47 Edited 2010-02-21 19:51
Works. But I get the following assertion failure when starting Outset, joining a player and pressing unpause in developers mode

(Log: http://pastebin.com/m16d1de8b )

PS: The assertion in the next line (assert(!(dwBlitMode & C4GFXBLIT_MOD2));) fails too

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-02-21 19:58
Developer mode is currently broken as of this commit. I think Günther is working on it. As a quick workaround you can add

lpPrimary->AttachSfc(0,0,0);
lpPrimary->byBytesPP=byByteCnt;

to CStdGL::CreatePrimarySurface (platform/StdGL.cpp).
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-18 17:01
What about some combos, like: tapping left/right key twice and pressing jump causes clonk to jomp forward instead of up.
Or maybe better: When running to jump player have to hold jump key for a while (0.2s for example), but if he presses it for very short he leaps forward instead of high up.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-02-18 17:03
Jump key holding time sounds good. Effectively, you would reduce initial jump speed but allow acceleration by holding the jump key for a while shortly after takeoff. You wouldn't want to delay the jump, because that would make the Clonk unnecessarily unresponsive.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-18 17:31
Hmmm, that may be right. Hmm, maybe holding down S and pressing W would cause clonk to leap forward, and the longer you hold W the longer/higher the jump will be.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-18 17:45
So if you take a big jump to the top, he should already start jumping when you press down the key, holding down the key accelerates the clonk? Hmm... I think in other games it's like this:

You hold it down, the character starts to bend his legs but doesnt jump yet. But by releasing the button, he immediately starts to jump but not so strong (depending on how long the button was pressed). After up to 1/3 of a second or so (~10 frames), the character automatically starts to jump at full strength. So if one wants to jump not at full strength, one needs to only tap the jump button very shortly.
While running, the character automatically jumps immediately but can't jump so high up.

How abou this?
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-02-18 18:05
That's exactly what I want to avoid, because:

> You wouldn't want to delay the jump, because that would make the Clonk unnecessarily unresponsive.

This is especially true if you want to evade fast-traveling projectiles. Forced animations are annoying.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-21 21:23
Doesn't make sense for physics, but I would prefer asmageddon's/sven2's solution more.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-18 17:35
If you run and jump, you jump further but less high right now.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-18 19:04
Speaking of which, I've also noticed you can do Starsiege:Tribes-like skiing when going downhill (speeding up faster and faster with each jump, until you are going about 80mph).
Parent - - By DarkEagle [de] Date 2010-02-19 20:07
Noticed that to. Such behaviour is also known as "bunny hopping" (like in early versions of Counter-Strike).
There should be some kind of limitation that you can't jump right again on landing (let's say for example Clonk can't jump for about 500ms after landing).
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-19 20:28
I think that could severely limit Clonk "nimbleness" (but not wittyness xD ). Maybe just immediately slow the Clonk to his maximum walk speed on landing?
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-17 23:16
The current controls seem to be made for short full-of-action rounds, the longer ones seem to loose here (using the mouse always for almost every little thing, in a round that takes ours, could be very annoying). Little "thingies and buttons" and stuff are not a common thing in videogames and yes there is zoom, but always zooming seems to be annoying too (you understand what I mean?). To be accurate with the mouse like with the keys while digging an other things is really something else.
Even though I don't think it's possible anymore, there should be a way to play without mouse, or at least a way to do many stuff without. Somebody might say, "I'ts usual in any videogame today to use the mouse for almost everything", yes but there are not so many 2D Jump 'n' Run styled games where it is so.
Perhaps it's just the fact that I have to get used to this kind of control, but to dig with the mouse like it's right now, is really strange to me (other stuff too).

Ah btw: make the mouse cursor tiny as possible, just a few pixel large, just for practical reasons, because it's much easier to point at things correctly then, and with controls like the current it's very important (I think you know what I mean).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-18 00:53

>make the mouse cursor tiny as possible, just a few pixel large, just for practical reasons

You do realize that the resolution can be set higher than 800x600, yes? I currently run OpenClonk at my native desktop resolution(1280x1024).
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2010-02-18 01:28
I have 10 FPS maximum at that resolution.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-18 07:16

>I have 10 FPS maximum at that resolution.

I spent an unholy amount of money on this powerful gaming computer and have nothing but Clonk and Trine for games. :p

Though I've actually lowered it to 1280x800 or some-such because I need to see my MSVC window when debugging. D:
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-18 10:21
I'm lucky then, on very old hardware I have ~36 fps in 1440x900 :P
Tough I use linux, and OC uses OpenGL, so that might be the point. IMO cursor size should depend on resolution.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-19 01:26

>on very old hardware I have ~36 fps in 1440x900 :P

:O

>IMO cursor size should depend on resolution.

I think that's how it is in CR, and might already be like that for OC. I'm not sure though.
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-18 23:09
Why higher resoultion when you can zoom anyway? Actually I want a dot instead of an arrow cursor or something.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-19 13:39
Well, I usually zoom in like 3x, because I like to see it "low scale" instead of "my surroundings"
Up Topic General / General / Some discussion about controls
1 2 Previous Next