Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Clonk2-like Strategy Map
1 2 Previous Next
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-17 22:25 Edited 2010-02-19 01:37
(Regarding the poll, if you'd also post your answer in this thread so we know exactly who will be willing, that would be helpful)

There have been a few mentions of this idea by myself and by a few others, but I would like to implement this idea into a single post where I can state my thoughts on it.

Firstly, the idea is that OpenClonk could have (as the title states) a strategy element to the game which acts as a command map, close to what Clonk2 had. Whether it would be hosted by the master-server or just a campaign mode (with npc enemies, such as rival clonks or monsters), or both, is up to debate.

The Command Map

• The command map could be a tiled map of a world (possibly one which loops like a cylinder... see Civilization2) in which each tile is a landscape your clonks may enter.

• The type of map generated for each tile would be generated from the type of tile. This could have many factors, such as climate (desert/jungle/mild/snow) and formation of the landscape (mountainous/mesas/plains/canyon). The variables would be shown as different terrain types on the command map, so the generated scenarios correspond to the tile's terrain type.

• A crew of Clonks (though you could have more than one crew across the command map) could enter an area on the map (a tile) and do things such as building a settlement, mine resources, etc.

Crossing Tiles

• Terrain simple to cross such as plains could simply be crossed without needing to enter the map (probably the most common terrain). This could lessen the tedium of travelling.

• To cross difficult terrain (ie: mountains), the Clonks would need to enter the map and make it to the opposite side to cross the tile (after they have already made a trail, they could just cross over it in the command map. A trail could be visible on the command map as a road or something). If the crew of clonks had created a blimp and are using it to travel, then they would be able to cross over tiles such as mountains without needing to enter the map (though if they wanted to land, that should be possible).

Towns

• A town would be any settlement owned by a player. Thusly, if a player has built a settlement, that has become his town which will be shown on the command map.

• If a clonk (or crew of Clonks) has died, they could be resurrected/respawned at a town.

Special Tiles

• To cross or enter an ocean tile, the Clonk could use a boat (obviously simpler to produce than blimp). Ocean tiles could have things like lots of fish or oil reserves under the sea floor; and obviously, sharks. Maybe some sunken treasure if you're lucky. :)

• Some rare tiles could have sky islands floating above them, which could only be reached by flying a blimp. Sky islands could provide an excellent base to defend from enemies, but if a clonk falls off the bottom of the map, he's dead.

• Digging off the bottom of the map of a normal ground tile could send you into a lower layer of the earth, where it is more dangerous (lava and whatnot) but there could be more valuable/rare resources to be harvested.

Tile Refreshing

• If a player hasn't visited a non-settled tile in some amount of time, that tile's saved data would be deleted, regenerating a map when a crew of Clonks enters that tile again.

• Sparsely settled tiles such as mining areas would eventually break down (though it should take long than an unsettled tile), and regenerate the map.

Battling the Enemy

• To engage in combat with an enemy, you would move your crew of Clonks onto a tile which is currently occupied by a team of enemy Clonks/monsters(or whatever else can organize an attack on a Clonk), such as besieging a city or simply finding enemies out in the world. This would cause the attacking crew to enter the defending crew's tile, and thus starting the battle. Obviously whoever loses, their crew/pack of monsters is removed from the command map.

• Normal wild animals such as sharks and wolves probably shouldn't appear on the command map, simply exist in their respective tiles.

I may have forgotten a few things; if I have I suppose I shall add them later.

Of course, this would not replace the current selectable-scenario type of gameplay that was in CR, but simply be another option. Also, this is all completely theoretical, and I realize it could be very difficult to implement (I would be willing to create any necessary 3D graphics, of course), but I'd like to hear some feedback on this.
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-17 23:31
Absolutely against it, sorry. Making hybrids out of games usually fails. Clonk should be not a hybrid (from the core!).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-18 00:43

>Clonk should be not a hybrid (from the core!).

Erm, this isn't about completely changing the way Clonk is played. It's just an idea for an additional gamemode.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-18 02:17
Ya travis, this would be like the missions section in CR, BUT BETTER!

I mean, this would give the feeling of doing something in a map to help on a larger scale, though when i think of that then there comes up the details of how stuff is transported from tile to tile, and how long a settled tile would stay the same before it changes.

There would be other things like, could one person control more than one tile at a time, just not play on more than one at a time, (has 4 towns, one clonk in each and a crew of 4 more making other towns elsewhere.
But this really does sound like an awsome thing to dd.

One last thing, would the tiles be triangular, square or hexagonal.

"TheBuilder Shivers"    Whoa, another cool idea, couldnt u do this in another way where it shows a gigantic map, like the combination of say 5 maps long and 7 maps deep, split into 35 different maps, so as u dig deeper into one, u save and then go onto the top of the nex one wich is one screen down.

Think of arranging bitmaps in rows and collums so that when all is said and done the material deposits in each one line up at teh edges.

The amount of things that could be done with the game now that it is "Open" is amazing!
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-18 07:11

>this would be like the missions section in CR, BUT BETTER!

The missions are more like adventures; this would be an equivalent to the "worlds" in CR.

>There would be other things like, could one person control more than one tile at a time, just not play on more than one at a time,

I don't really understand what you mean. From what I do understand, you could have multiple Clonk crews at different locations (ie: defending a castle), but you can only control one crew at a time.

>One last thing, would the tiles be triangular, square or hexagonal.

This is getting a bit ahead, as this is still just an idea, but I think the best would be isometric. That way maps could easily correspond to which direction a clonk is entering them from. See the attachment for explanation.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-18 08:59
As for me, I always wanted to have some sort of (single-player) campaign in Clonk.
   The game as it (set of scenarious) is could be very interesting in terms of having different types of activities which can be chosen easilly (I mean, if you want to play a melee you just start a melee and play it). But. Settlement scenarious (Worlds, I mean) were WAY TOO boring because you knew from the start that gameplay won't change a bit after 2, 3, 5 whatever hours of play. There was actually NO GOAL in settlement scenarious. Reaching a sufficient ammount of settlement points by building hundreds of identical structures was no fun at all (though I do not claim to be the first one who realized that). The more interesting type of play in CR were Missions, where you actually HAD A GOAL (I still like the first one much - the moment when tons of water fall down into the lava pool was the most delightfull thing I ever experienced). I think my favorite mission is "The Last Will" where you not only had a goal, but lots of ingame events (gameplay diversity) that lead to even more challenge and more fun. But there is still something missing here (not to mention small ammount of missions). When mission ends... you feel some kind of disappointment along with a feeling that you will probably never play this mission again (because it is 100% linear - you can play it 1000 times and everything will still be the same).
   Why did I say all of that? Every moderm game (I mean a successfull one) has a plot. Without a plot the game looses 70% of its attraction (even if it has the best graphics and sound effects ever). In fact even a game without any graphics or sounds can attract millions of people (Nethack? ADOM?). (In my early ages I liked Japan RPGs a lot - every single one of them had a mindblowing plot which made it awesome even without modern 3D graphics)... Well, I'm a bit off topic here. What I'm trying to say is that OpenClonk far better potential than any type of game mentioned above. Adding another element to it (I mean strategy element) will make it greater than CR, even greater than OC itself! (sorry for recursion here :-)
   I stand with both of my hands for the idea mentioned above. And I can help with the 3D graphics as well if it comes this far. (Though I still have a strong sensation that this great idea will be peremptorily rejected by the community - sorry for my pessimism). We will wait and see.
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-18 09:09
Huh, i know wat u mean by a great game doesnt need great graphics, though seeing the water fall into the lava towards the end of the first CR mission was great, :)
But a story would be nice, though if u think about it, clonk was originally biult to be a fighting game, hence the name "clonk", (ie, get clonked on the head).
LOL
But seriously, U r right, though there are already like three storylines, Western, M & M, and Hazard.  Making these flow better, or adding a fully flowing story would be cool.
Im behind this, pusing even if the idea dont take off. :)

check this out if u want proof of a great game without great graphics:
http://knucklecracker.com/
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-18 14:56
I am not sure if we need this "Command Map" for making a good campaign. But I would also like to see a good campaign. I tried to create more story and background for MM when making the plot for the adventure and writing the history of Meduvien (the country of M&M).
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-18 17:30
Well, on other hand it could really be used to create some campaign. I think it could go like this:
1)World map generation:
-Step one: A random continent, heightmap determining where are mountains, where are seas, etc.
-Step two: Forests, rivers, lakes, etc. are generated.
-Step three: Temperature map is generated, and deserts, snowy mountains, swamps, etc. are generated along.
2)Game map generation:
-The most interesting part of world is picked and cropped to be the whole game area
-Details are generated(Hills, small lakes, caves in mountains, shrines, castles, cities, villages, farms)
-Roads between important objects are generated, borders of map get blocked by rivers/mountains/dense forests/something
3)Gameplay generation:
-Factions are generated(and get randomly chosen cities, castles, and other structures; number depends on settings and no. of players)
-Political situation is generated(how much factions 'like' each other; of course considering pre-set game settings)
-Important persons are generated(Kings, queens, princes & princesses, major merchants, etc.)
-Life is simulated for a moment(Random events, that occur alone, between factions, inside single faction, etc.), which is a basement for future ingame quests(help village robbed by bandits, bring revenge for killing a prince, etc.)
4)Game start:
-Players choose their factions(they can be any of randomly generated important persons)
-Player receive something(Country in case of king, village in case of knight, fort in case of prince, etc.)
-First goal is randomly generated(like: kill the king in case of rebelling prince, etc.)
5)Gameplay:
-Players move
-They receive quests from important persons
-Players complete quests(or not) and receive(or not) reward. Sometimes they can get betrayed and new quest may be generated.
About local maps:
Players can one time in their turn(if game will be turn based) enter an area, and play normal, clonky game. They can build there, get materials(they are stored as global resources), die, kill monsters, etc. but NOT recruit new clonks. Clonks are recruited among citizens, villagers, mercenaries, and kings and princes have military at their disposal. The appearance of tile is determined by what is there: If player did mine a lot there, and left a large hole - a hole will be visible. If player built a castle - castle will be visible. If player built mining building - a mine will be visible. Then people would came to built village, mines will mine gold, and castles could be used for living in them. But if player is too long in one sector - his turn passes, but he still is there. He can get ambushed, attacked, and does not know what happens outside of this square. This way beaten king can build a fort in large cave somewhere, and - since it is underground - other players do not see it. For each type of tile(there would be lots, lots, lots and LOTS of them) there would be a Landscape.txt and a Scenario.txt file. Players would ALWAYS appear at left or right of map(depends on direction they came from when they stepped on that tile, so there can be "walls", that do not allow to pass trough). And there could be tunnels dug to other maps(if there is undergroung passage to left or right it is possible to pass trought is to adjancent map. It requires construction of special "portal" building, and portal built on left side allows to go to LU,LD and R tiles, while built on right allows to go to L, RD and RU tiles (assuming, that it would be hexagon-based map). Direction they lead in is determined once and unchangeable.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-18 18:00
I lake the direction of your ideas flow though do not share the idea of turn-based game. Do not turn OC into MMO game, please. Anything we've discussed far to this point was about single-player (cooperative) campaign. So if you want a clash of factions - go choose melee from scenarios pack.
About everything else: random world generation would give a GRAND boost to the gameplay increasing campaing replayability. I always like the idea of having "world map" aside from main game landscape (which can be seen in any scenario)  - randomly generated, yes. Concerning story: it would be good (no, GOOD, AWESOME!) to play for a different (let it be called) "social class" (for example, you choose to play as a king and his army, or as a bunch of rebellious peasants, or pack of pandits or whatever) thus providing a totally different gameplay (as well as, maybe, different possesions at the beginning of the game (king already have a casstle, his warriors are armed with beast weaponry, have horses, etc., while peasants should start with only clubs and axes)).
Again, I think it will be good to have this sort of a campaign aside from traditional scenario packs.
Parent - - By Anonymous [us] Date 2010-02-18 19:30 Edited 2010-02-18 19:34
Ringwall:
I think we should try to keep this simple. Things like being a king or a prince sounds like something that you would find in a Knights extension pack (if you had an expansion pack, you could possibly start a campaign using that). I think we should keep the Clonk style of everyone simply being pioneers (sometimes killing each other with blunt objects :p). If you wanted to be a bandit or something like that, you'd just send in your Clonk(s) to an enemy city, load up your lorry with their goods and run back off the map. I think starting out defined as 'king' or 'bandit' is just unnecessary complication which the player could emulate simply by his actions in the game, not by a campaign preset.

Also, I'd like to say I agree fully with, "Clonk should not be an MMO". Getting quests and rubbish like that is leaning far too much in the direction of RPG than Strategy. All 'goals' would be formed by your need for something, such as building another town instead of "Get 2000 settlement points".
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-18 19:40
As for "unnessecary complications" - well, maybe (though I like this idea, it can be somewhat hard to implement). But as for RANDOM WORLD GENERATION, I'd say: "to be"! (rather than "not to be").
Parent - By Ringwaul [us] Date 2010-02-18 19:46
I had just assumed random world generation would be necessary for this. Clonk relies on so much dynamic generation, it hadn't even crossed my mind that 'command maps' wouldn't be. :p
Parent - - By Ringwaul [us] Date 2010-02-18 19:50
I think it would be a lot easier to create (and less unbalanced) if the player started with just one crew of Clonks and possibly a small settlement (randomly placed on the map). Also, as I've said below, I don't think RPG elements are a good idea to add to a strategy component of Clonk.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-19 13:32
If we were going to have some clonk2-alike style strategy map, then it would be good, if there really were some random events, so city is not always "Just some city", but "Happy city", "Burnt city", "Rebelling city", "City under attack", "City, that king is currently in"

And as for being able to choose, who player wants to be would allow different starts - even in random-ish games start is usually always the same. This way player would once be a king, and try to beat other kingdoms, once a bandit raiding cities, once an outcast building his own place to live. Other time players would be princes, that have to gain people's sympathy.

Of course player could just choose to "start alone" as single clonk, but he could as well start as "someone" with some fixed goals to do. Some people like to "sandbox" more, but some prefer to "know, what to do"
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-19 20:16
If someone wants to implement that, then they can do that. I just think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves and should stick to the basics for now, and advance aspects of the game if we already have a basic strategy system in place.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-18 10:16
I didn't read it all, but I played Clonk 2, liked the idea, and I trust that your one is even better. And I'm personally on "Yes" to this.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-18 17:33
I'd like to play that scenario - but it sounds to be such a huge piece of work that I'd categorize it as one of those clonk projects that never get done.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-18 18:01
The development of this scenario (I'd rather call it campaign) can be performed aside of (in parallel to) the development of the core stuff.
Parent - - By Anonymous [us] Date 2010-02-18 19:09
Ringwaul here again:
I think the entire development team would need to participate to get such a thing done, because it would require custom graphics and serious coding to implement.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-18 19:36
A poll, maybe? :-)
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-18 22:54
That's what I actually meant, too much work in the wrong direction. Just look the guys from Cortex Command, their campaign is ready in perhaps 15 years...slackers, they should put some work into a good network mode instead (for what did I bought this game?).
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-18 23:04
Yeah, I agree that this thing would be EXTREMELY hard to implement but without it... we will receive just what CR was - a bunch of pointless scenarious, somewhat entertaining (especially on multiplayer) but completely boring after all.
Of couse, first things come first - without a thoroughly developed object interaction, goal completion, network communication, advanced production lines (and so on) the whole campaign thing would worth less than a penny.
Parent - Date 2010-02-19 13:36
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-23 06:56

>but without it... we will receive just what CR was - a bunch of pointless scenarios, somewhat entertaining (especially on multiplayer) but completely boring after all.

I agree with parts of this. Though Clonk is an excellent game, after a while the settlement scenarios begin to feel hollow; they become less and less entertaining because it starts to become clear there is no real purpose you are fulfilling (other than raising your score) to completing these settlement missions. Of course, developers can add new buildings and features which are fun to play around with in settlements, but eventually these get begin to feel hollow as well. This is the fundamental flaw of settlement missions: there is no real purpose to what you are doing. It is only human that a person wants to have purpose in what they do, but something as simple as a score doesn't fulfill this primal need of purpose. Though I think melees are not necessarily affected as settlements are by this "meaninglessness", I think the possibility of triumph or defeat would create a much more exciting atmosphere of the fight, because there are benefits to success, and real consequences of defeat.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-23 08:51 Edited 2010-02-23 10:00
Just a question (to everyone):
Have you ever played games such as:
1) SimCity and other Sim* strategies
2) Caesar
3) Pharaoh and other Caesar clones
4) Various Tycoons
They all have something in common (with little differences) - there is a special play mode within which you just play (begin with a tiny city/farm/park/whatever and grow it to become... well, do not know what it will become in the end). No goal, no high purpose, no fun after all (not to mention so called "missions" in some of theese games the only "goal" of which is to gain a sufficient ammount of "points"). That is what CR settlement scenarios about after all (since I'm kind of a peacefull and non-competitive person I do not like melees and various types of other "challenges" - races and parkours included). You just play. Well, at first it is rather copmpetitive (especially when you have to build a settlement on a tip of the mountain) but thats it. I would not repeat what I've already told but having a GRAND PURPOSE FOR EXISTENCE (or simply said GOAL like merging together pieces of a broken statue or bury tre long-gone father within deep sea waters) would make a scenario not pointless but entertaining. Even a trivial goal to "mine all the gold" seems not so trivial when to reach golden mine you must first build a fully-functional "railroad" (I just wish the train was running faster) or elevator connection or blimp or whatever. The even greater interest can be achieved when you know that the every single step you do in current scenario will affect all subsequent scenarios - so that's what we should have a "command map" (or some other variant of it) for.
Example: You know that you are going to be attacked by a bunch of angry clonks/wipfs/monsters and the only thing you have is just a little settlement (and huge rock/ore deposits). You can: 1) Build a casstle and defend yourself 2) Build weapons thinking that offence is the best defence 3) Abandon the whole place for good. 4) Abandon the whole place with evil smile on you face after placing 50 timed bombs on the territory (just kidding). So you choose one of possible behaviors, spend some time praparing you plan and then scenario ends. You find yourself on a command map again and see that enemy army is swiftly approaching towards you. But you are already not as defenceless as you were before. Not you can show them who's the boss...
It was just a primitive example of how the gameplay could be enriched by implementing "some" additional strategy elemnets. After all, Clonk IS a strategy game so lets make it match this word in every possible way.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-23 10:22
I'd say clonk is rather a tactical game rather than strategic. ^^
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-02-18 22:01
Yeah, I think of this sort of campaign:
  -You've got a mission from some king. Retrieve this or that, fight this bad guy or get there.
  -You've got a place, that you have to go. The way to this place is blocked by various things (mountains, oceans, castles, cities).
  -There are gates or tiles that you have to visit to continue your way to your goal.
  -On various tiles are side-quests or you can get them in cities: "Go to this or this tile and gather the treasure hidden there.

I think, it would be really a lot of fun to play this. :)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [us] Date 2010-02-18 22:06 Edited 2010-02-18 22:27
Maybe in the Campaign mode, there could be different 'campaign goals' to be unlocked by completing the previous goal (or maybe just randomly generated, and you once you finish one goal you are assigned another)? :D Also, I'll start a poll to ask the devs if they are willing to work on this, as AlteredARMOR suggested.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-18 22:21
I've already voted positively. (Looks like we are the only 2 persons so far though I'm sure there are a lot more people who are willing to participate)
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-02-18 22:39
I would love to do some stuff, like systems for quests or so. I like the kind of work without objects.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-18 22:59 Edited 2010-02-18 23:05
Developing (or thinking out) story lines (or rather, branches) is usually the hardest thing to do (apart from random generation) in the non-linear game. No objects, no scripting - just a pure imagination (that is, of course, if we decide on making such a thing - campaign, I mean)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-19 01:23 Edited 2010-02-19 01:39
As stated above, please respond with a post as well as a poll vote. A poll vote without a name attached is meaningless, because I need to know who here that actually contributes is willing/not willing to work on this.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-19 11:29
Why do a poll vote then? Just ask who wants to work on that with you.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-19 20:09
When I had created the poll, I didn't know it was anonymous. :/ So I'll get rid of the poll, but I'd like people to have their answer posted here.
Parent - - By NilsZ [de] Date 2010-02-19 15:12
I think its better if you make an additional pack with that idea after OpenClonk is really released.
Because this idea is far away from the original concept i think.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-19 20:12 Edited 2010-02-19 20:21

>I think its better if you make an additional pack with that idea after OpenClonk is really released.

This is something that can't be done with C4Script. I think it would be very strange to have an additional pack which modifies the game engine.
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2010-02-19 20:15
It can be done with C4Script.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-19 20:24
I thought that was only for in-game scenarios. :S Could a strategy map actually work as a scenario file?
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2010-02-19 20:35
I thought of scenario sections. But hm, that wouldn't be very nice. Someone may should write some "StartScenario"-Function.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-19 20:41
I thought it would be easier to program a Strategy Component than to script one, because there are always limitations in C4Script.
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2010-02-19 21:32 Edited 2010-02-19 21:36
Sb. could add the needed functions to C4Script. Unlike CR there are big chances that new features will get implented when they are needed.
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-02-19 22:10
CreateClearInstance(szBackground,iWidth,iHeight) - Removes the whole Landscape (and saves it), removes all objects. Saves the status of a player but removes all his belongings. He doesn't get eliminated, until the script wants to (EliminatePlayer()). szBackground may be the name of the file in the scenario, which contains the special background. The landscape has the size of the background or of iWidth and iHeight. In this case the background is tiled. Additionally things like menu, Scoreboard, healthbar, etc. get all removed.

CreatePicture(idObject, iX, iY, iSize) - Draws just the picture of an definition somewhere in the landscape. A function like this exists, but is way to complicated for some simple things. iSize scales the picture. 100 is standard. The other parameters are clear enough. May return some kind of pointer, which allows to remove the picture, maybe with RemoveObject(), maybe there might be a special function needed. Additionally, the picture might be modulated somehow (SetClrModulation()?)

CreateClickArea(zsFunctionCall, iX1, iY1, iX2, iY2, iX3, iY3, iX4, iY4) - Creates an area out of 4 free placeable vertices. If someone clicks this area, it is recognized by the script and calls the Function given in zsFunctionCall with the player who clicked it.

(Both functions above can be used in non-clear instances.)

DestroyClearInstance(bReloadSaved) - Because of there can be just one clear instance it doesn't need more parameters. Reloads the saved landscape if bReloadSaved is true. Otherwise the landscape is just blank. This should be used in combination of loading a new scenario section. Re-initializes the HUD of every player.

I hope, some dev is bored enough to work on functions like this. :I
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2010-02-19 22:15
For what do you need that?
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-02-20 00:17
For making "strategic" maps in clonk without h4x? You could do with this even scenarios based totally on isometric point of view, and that very easy.
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2010-02-20 11:41
Huh? I don't understand.
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-02-20 12:32
I mean... you want to do some kind of game, where you don't need a Clonk or healthbars or inventorys, etc... Just a clean display, without a Clonk. The background could be some kind of (game) board. There are several fields, you can click (like Civilizations), a menu opens. In this menu you can decide, what happens next, etc. If you modify in the menu the field in any way, a graphic gets projected on that field. It might be a house. And so the game goes... Thats a part of clonk that always meant to me limitations (player bonded to his crew).
Parent - By MrBeast [de] Date 2010-02-20 13:03
In openclonk the healthbars etc. are object not engine anzmore. And clickable object are also possible.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-02-03 02:24
I'd likte to mention two other uses for such a strategy map:

-The first would be the use for some rpg maps and settlement campaigns, folder maps in general could be supplemented by stragegy maps, and normal folders could use them as well.
-Second: It can enrich gameplay in certain circumstances: A boardgame strategy map could be used for another Clonk Party scenario. Maps with scenario sections in general could use this: Not "Where do you wanna go?" "- menu entry1,2,3?" You will be able to actually see that in the folder maps.

The whole strategy maps should work just like a scenario section, and be handled like one as well in terms of the script language.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-02-03 05:16
It would be possible to make the strategy map as a scenario, actually. However, I don't really know the functionality of the engine in terms of saving scenarios (tiles) the player has visited; especially saving them in a proper location relevant to the player.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Clonk2-like Strategy Map
1 2 Previous Next