Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Structures and their basements
- - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-20 21:48 Edited 2010-02-21 01:48
When selecting a place to build a structure, could u make it so that u see the basement too.

Same thing for the editor, but make it so u can see the whole structure, (CR doesnt show wat ur placeing in the editor till after u place it, its quite anoying)

Also, could u make sure that when u build a structure that has a basement, the building is always on top of the basement, (sometimes it sinks a bit into the basement).

Last thing, could u make it so that u can build a castle section by section in-game and not just in the editor.  It wont let u in rage because each structure is built with a basement, could u make so that the game checks if ur building on open ground, (it has/shows the basement), or on a castle section, (it doesnt have/show the basement).

Note, someone suggested i delete the original post since i calmed down, so i decided to make the post also a bit more understandable too.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 22:06 Edited 2010-02-20 22:12
Are you sure you chose the right forum to place your request at? We do not even have a casstle in OC yet. Anything we make here (concerning objects, structures and so) we make from scratch, so practically there will be no need to fix something.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-20 22:24
Are you talking about CR perhaps?
Also you did mention once, that you did not buy CR, and didnt play CE much, while the castles you're talking about are not useable in shareware version...
Sorry for not commenting, but I do not speak the language you do...
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-02-20 22:41
1. You are talking about CR
2. CastlePanic() (you won't find it in the docs) and CreateConstruction() want to be your friend.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-20 22:46
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't any of u ever think ahead?   Yes im a bit pissed right now, sorry though but when u get pissed off by a level and are trying to suggest a way to fix wats frustrating u in the level by post how it might be fixed in the next version of the game and everyones like "wtf? we're not even to castles yet!" u could get pissed too.

Again sorry, but this is for when u guys GET TO making the castle parts and stuff.

"sigh" seriously im sorry, but sometimes u just gotta go into a rant, ya know wat i mean right?
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 22:49
Please, calm down. No need to worry. There is NO problem with OC at the moment and it surely will never be.
And by the way - OC is not "the next version of the game"... Sorry.

P.S. Think we should offtop this...
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-02-20 22:50
Sorry, come up with it again when castles are done.

Anyway... come back again when you are not pissed anymore.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-20 22:52
Come back again, when you learn english... [Really forgive me, but I just can't hold myself]
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-20 22:56
i dont think u got it, but as i typed the message i calmed down, but remember, this is for when u guys START making them, not AFTER they are done.

By teh way, when making any structure, or draggin it into the editor screen, u need to be able to see its basement too, (if it has one).

Ive gone over this many times in tests and found that a building structure doesnt always sit just on top of its basement, (itll sink into it a bit).  The same is true for basements, they dont always sit flush with the ground, like if u level off an area of ground, u might build something on it, and the basement sinks into the ground a few pixels, (yes im just that picky, i like making perfectly flat areas).

But I am seriously sorry for going off, but i calmed down as i typed my thoughs out. Though i did say argh after i read the initial respones, roflmao.
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-02-21 00:36
i see your point, but i think this change is not really neccesary. its also more efficient to create structures via script and not per objects.txt.
and, you can of course post your thoughts about upcoming features, but dont be angry if someone tells you, that is is too early to think about a certain topic.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-02-21 01:06

> its also more efficient to create structures via script and not per objects.txt.

Care to elaborate?
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-21 02:53
I dont know wat he mimo means, but when i say piece by piece, i mean a piece of the castle, not a piece of a structure.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-21 10:18
I tought, that we could abandon the whole basement idea, and instead just some objects would require a relatively flat base, and if it's made out of stone - it's a basement!
But then we would have to invent some way of creating flat stone floor, as digging does not work on it...
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-21 10:23
basements in CR can be blown up with large amounts of explosives, like 8 flintstones, or (i think) 2 tera-flints.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 12:37
There is another important feature about basements: they hold the structure in place in place no matter what happens underneath it (compare Bamboo hut and a Sawmill, for instance). So there is a need of providing some way of making some structures (especially casttles) unmovable undiggable from downside. I think we agreed that structures should not have basements by default though do not think we discussed properly how the basement should be built. Anyway there is (sorry for going through this on and on) too early to discuss basements as the development process moves in different direction right now. (Probably in some time there will be another topic concerning how basements should really look).
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-21 15:55
well ask for my opinion or link to this topic when u gat there, k?
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 16:07
Certainly
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-20 23:00

>when u guys GET TO making the castle parts and stuff.

...that's the point, you say "u guys can use my ideas when you start with castles"...but nobody decided yet to make any castles, so when somebody plans to do it, he probably would ask for ideas himself and then it's the time to post ideas, but right know it's just a waste of time.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-20 23:39 Edited 2010-02-20 23:53
"sigh". . . . .

Theres no need to "wag ur finger" so to speak, at someone who got angry at something in-game, then thought it would help by posting the problem and his thoughts on how to fix it in the forum of the succesor to the game.  Yes i might have started out in a rant, but like i said i cooled down while typing it.

Wat i mean is dont think someone ignorant for posting about something even though devolopment of wat it has to do with hasent started yet, (castles).

But this also has to do with ANY structure too, unless u didnt kbother to think about that when u snapped at me?

A final I;m sorry, now if everyone would plz stop gettin upset or watever over this.   Its supposed to help with the development of OpenClonk.  These were some problems i saw in CR, so I wanted to see if I could get them in fixed for OC.
Parent - By Travis Date 2010-02-21 00:46
When you really had calmed down while you typed it, you could have deleted it!
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 12:39
Anyway, thanks for the warning.
Parent - By kevda [de] Date 2010-02-23 19:53
but i think he is right, seeing the basement should be a feature in OC and there need to be the feature where you can build buildings over a hole(eg if you digged a hole and you want to place a elevator above it)
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Structures and their basements