Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Content
- - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-13 06:39
Will content made for any previous game work with OC, or just stuff that is made specifically for OC?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-13 06:56
Content from previous games won't work. If you know how to script well, then you could rewrite the script of CR objects to work in OC. However, I think if you're going to put time into making old objects compatible, it would be a better idea to work on new objects which actually harness the power of OpenClonk's engine.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-13 07:46
I was afraid of that, but just WHY can't this be done?
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-13 09:19
?
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-13 09:46
I mean that I figured that someone would say that previous content won't work with OC.

I am also asking why this is so.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-03-13 10:15
Because engine is changing. Also CR is a separate game developed over from beggining, so there is no need for CR content to be compatibile.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-13 10:32
"sigh" crap, now i have to wait for someone to convert everything cool ive downloaded for CR, so that they work in OC.

O well.

(by the way, ive found a bunch of stuff you guys might want to look at when you've got the time)
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-03-13 17:50

>"sigh" crap, now i have to wait for someone to convert everything cool ive downloaded for CR, so that they work in OC.

I see a looooot of people willing to do this...
We just can't stand idle while knowing, that you did waste your time downloading stuff for CR and it doesn't work with OC!

Seriously. If you want anything converted from CR to OC - do it yourself. This is the only option. Unless you wanna spam random people with "plz convert this"
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-13 23:35
Its not wasting time when CR is the most used one right now.  When OC "official" comes out, more people will probably go to OC.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-03-14 10:54
It is wasting time. Have you played OC already?
Here is a bit of comparision:
Graphics:
CR - low res 2d graphics
OC - 3d models with bones, textures and animations
Controls:
CR - keyboard only, direction keys, dig, throw/use 3 keys for switching clonks, 3 specials
OC - keyboard&mouse, controlling using WSAD and mouse as pointer, different inventory, no special keys, two active items at a time.
Basic mechanics:
CR - digging is embedded into clonk, 1 item in inventory by default, forward jumping only
OC - everything is done by using a tool, jumping is much more complex, you can control clonk while in air.
Scripts:
Many functions added, a lot changed and a bit removed.
Extra:
CR - nothing(in comparision to OC)
OC - zooming, line of sight, scrolling view, etc.

It would require to create the content from beggining. Conversion would be just too much of work for too less of profits. It is a lot better to focus on creating new stuff.

As I said - you want something converted? Convert it then.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-14 21:04
Yes ive played OC, from what ive seen its kinda odd.  I can tell its not supposed to be just the next game in the series.  Though. . . . . something is just not right about it and i can't firgure out what it is.

Anyway, the game is great so far.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-14 22:55

>Though. . . . . something is just not right about it and i can't firgure out what it is.

It's not finished? ;)
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-15 01:37
No its not that, since I know you guys are still working on it.  Like I said, I just can't figure out what it is.
Parent - By zagabar [se] Date 2010-03-15 03:06
You mean that it kinda feels... I don't know really how to explain it... A bit scattered or non-solid or something like that? Like the smooth 3D-models don't fit together with the pixely landscape and the photo-realistic textures? Hmmm, hard to explain. But it doesn't feel as tight and solid as a game should. Kinda like those cheap mp3-players that feels like something really plastic made. Or something. xD

Don't take this as negative criticism. I know it is hard to make games with a good feel to it. This is just my personal impression of it.
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-03-13 12:45
Well, even when you have a naive look at the games and compare the controls, you'll see that the control scheme is quite different. In OC the items receive mouse controls, in CR they received the controls of the direction keys (up,down,right,left,throw,dig).
So you see that even the control interface is quite different, so objects can't be automatically converted, cause you have to think of a new control scheme for the objects.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Content