Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Clonk-looking
1 2 Previous Next
- - By pluto [de] Date 2010-08-22 17:24
Well, this is not essential and really important for gamplay, or the first release. But it is important for me that I can sympathize which the OC style.

I actual don't like the looking of the clonk. At first of all the clonk's cloth are not really modern, stylish and appealing. The clonk looks like a farmer who is able to use different types of weapons.
I would favor a style which is not typical for such "medival?" gamestyle. I could imagine roomy modern cargo trousers with big pockets, and an easygoing, cool shirt. Why not jumping around with a cool looking bow shooting clonk? That would be really "special". maybe a new meaning for "clonkish"?

But sure, I believe that this idea is not consencous. If so, I would like to play a clonk who's looking like a varlet/knight. A ring armour, or a light tunic. It doesnt matter, but -please!- no strange looking jeans with braces and belt...

Great would be, if there are more than only one Texture-type. I'm sure it would be easy, that a clonk gets randomly a texture, if there are more than one (or a player can dicide between different textures) Of course, the style of those textures must be the same, it would be very strange, if there are such "cool"-clonks and such velvet-clonks, eigher modern or medival style.

I would see, what could do to realize this idea(s), if the idea gets the community's agreement.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-08-22 17:57 Edited 2010-08-22 18:03
You find the clonk model in the resources repository , you can test by yourself how a different texture or even slightly different shape would look like.
It has not been decided anywhere that the clonk definitely has to have blue jeans with a white shirt and suspenders. That was just the first thing that was done when Randrian re-designed the old clonk-model to be used in openclonk. And it IMO looks good enough. But as said, if you think you can come up with something better, try it out!

Edit:
Regarding looks, it is hard to agree or disagree about something without being able to see it.
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2010-08-22 21:53
a very easy, fast made scetch: http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4562/clonkscetch.jpg
in my opinion, it looks more like a steampunkstyled swordfighting adventurer than the simple blue jeansed guy :/. It could be easier to identify with a the cool guy there, than with a fusty person. I don't like to play characters they have a very boring look :(
A mesh will follow next time, I guess.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-08-22 23:30 Edited 2010-08-22 23:34
Wow, that one looks great! Love it! I like that adventurer-style. Definitely worth a try, IMO.

Please DONT create a mesh from scratch (other than for sketching purposes). It will be very difficult to add the many bone-animations that have been done by Randrian in days and days of work. If you alter the existing model, there shouldn't be too many problems with keeping the existing animations.
Parent - By pluto [de] Date 2010-08-22 23:46
If you alter the existing model, <- that was the plan
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-08-23 20:37
The tooth necklace is a bit cliché, but it looks fairly good. :)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-08-22 17:59
I think I'd prefer OpenClonk having an "overall style" than making the clonk into a fashion statement.
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2010-08-22 18:01
this means, you favor the blue-jeans-guy, because it is "ageless"?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-08-22 18:30
That's definitely part of it. The other reason is that Randrian's clonk fits well in game.
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2010-08-22 18:41
that's your opinion. be careful with generalization!

I'm sure OC will get new clonk types, too. I cannot imagine that this farmer-clonk would be great looking with modern laser weapons in futuristic scenes. So my opinion is in a knight/fantasy/magic-world a clonk with knight/mage look would fit fine,too.
An ageless (but "cooler"?) style which is more fashionable than a clonk with braces °_° I would prefer.

> Edit: Regarding looks, it is hard to agree or disagree about something without being able to see it.

I will see, what I can do ;)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-08-22 18:56

>more fashionable than a clonk with braces °_°

In every picture of my ancestors, all the men wore braces (we call them suspenders). They were hard working, real men. Like the Canadian settlers, Clonks have always been about "function". They make windmills from scrap pieces of wood; they don't care how it looks (they wore unitards!), only how it works.
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2010-08-22 19:05
But clonks are not your ancestors, are they? ;-)
A clonk does not need functional clothing, He need a looking which makes a player likes his clonk.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-08-22 19:21

>A clonk does not need functional clothing, He need a looking which makes a player likes his clonk.

I see nothing wrong with jeans and suspenders. It is a very generalized clothing which is neither appealing nor detracting.
Parent - By pluto [de] Date 2010-08-22 21:58
yeah. it simply looks boring ;). It looks like your canadian settlers, not like bowshooting, swordfighting warriors, does it? :I
but well, like Newton said: it is hard to agree or disagree about something without being able to see it.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-08-22 19:37

>unitards

*g*
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-08-22 22:08
I'd also like it if we had multiple meshes and/or textures to choose from or to randomly assign to Clonks so that we have some variety. Even though I pretty much like the current Clonk some variations would be great.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-08-22 23:35
Is it possible to easily interchange a mesh with another (while keeping the bone animations) in clonk? What about interchanging textures?
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-08-22 23:54
Textures can easily be changed using SetMeshMaterial(). Currently meshes and skeletons are tied together in Clonk though that could be changed. Though it might also be good enough to just copy the skeleton file and then change the mesh with SetGraphics() (though maybe that doesn't work yet either since I think additional meshes are not yet loaded).
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2010-09-02 12:56 Edited 2010-09-02 12:58
Okay guy's
I want to know what is prefered: The head-looking. Should it be comiclike, the typical big round clonkeyes (imagine Clonk 4 Loader), should it be the "classic" CE/ CR style? a big head, with the shape like a pumpkin, or more human like, or is the head shape design atm the right one?
edit: A sharp manga-style-face comes to my mind as well
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-02 14:12
Probably depends on which person you ask. I think I l'd like the Clonk4loader style the best but I recommend you to try what you think fits best.
There also have been made adjustments to the clonk modell previously. You might want to take a look here:
http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=303
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2010-09-03 13:15
first modelling test, a litte C4-Title-like.
THe hairs are the Lowpoly thing, but they will need around 300 polys when the mesh is finished., the clonk model needs around 370 polys. :/

Here are three Blender runtime screens: http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2976/clonkface1.jpg

Opinions? tips for lowpoly hairstyles?

an other "hairs"-method is often used in newer RPG games: there  many planes (which are overlapping each other)  were used with semitransparent textures. But the look is not that cartoonlike I want.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-09-03 13:37
Hmm... I like the model. Especially the hair part of it.
But I think eyes are too big and extrude way too much (which is seen very well on the frontal view). It makes him look a bit unrealistic (there is no mammal with perfectly round eyes... okay there is, but they are partly covered with skin and do not look so round).
Anyway, in the end it is the texture that will do all the thing...
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2010-09-03 14:52
Have you ever seen  the CR Monster? :)
nearly all clonk animals have such perfect round eyes.
Maybe I didn't understand you the right way. Maybe you've talked about the missing eyelids? it should be possible to add them

edit: the C4clonk's head consists mostly of "eye" :D
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-09-03 17:07
I don't think these large eyes look so good. What about the face in your original sketch? I think Randrian's clonk-face was generally well received.

Also, the lower jaw looks very weak.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-03 17:02
I gather that integrating these large bug-eyes on an otherwise human-like face is hard to do. Not sure if I like it. If I imagine that the eyes are sunglasses, it looks cool, though ;-)

Also, could it be that the clonk head is missing a lower jaw?

Regarding the hair and perhaps also easy playing around with the shape of the face, you can take a look at the character creation dialogue in Mount and Blade. (You don't need a registration for that.) I think they use the same method you described and it looks good, IMO.
Parent - By pluto [de] Date 2010-09-03 17:49
the eye would not become green or purple :). Imagine the would be white with a pupil. ;)

It was only a try with those big eyes. I'm not sure if i should like them too.
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2010-09-05 11:37
Here's the actual status
face: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6021/clonkface8.jpg

I tried out two outfits. One guy is going to get the outfit shown on (at?) the scetch. The other guy wears a knights tunic.
the textures are only workingtextures to find if everything is fitting.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/9954/clonkcloth2.jpg <- a mirror modifier is used here, so it was not possible yet to draw the belts such as the scetch.
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6755/crayzclonk6side.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6899/clonkcloth1.jpg
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4797/clonkbodyshape3.jpg

attand that the clonks is not standing upright(ger.: aufrecht?)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-05 12:51 Edited 2010-09-05 12:56

> http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6755/crayzclonk6side.jpg

Whats up with that arse?

Regarding the two models: Both look nice. There are many possibilites for possible designs of the clonk. I thought of a few promising clothings myself. But this is a thing which could certainly be looked at in the future. For now, I'd recommend that we stick to the sketch you made.

I have a couple of cargo trousers with a rough texture and a lot of "stuff" (seams, buttons, straps, pockets,...) on it. If you create a texture for the clonk, I could help you by photographing one of these. ^^

Edit: Also, when you are redesigning the clonk anyway, I got a request. The clonk now has a backpack. It would be nice if such a backpack is also put on the clonk's back. Also, I guess, it is not required that a backpack is included in the clonk's model, it could be attached as a mesh(?). The backpack is in models/Icons/backpack/ and can certainly be decimated in polycount and made a bit more slim.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-09-05 20:43
Wow, awesome. :D

Both models are very, very good. (Though I agree with newton on crazyclonk6side.jpg; the clonk's buttocks looks squished on the z-axis.)

I especially like your new design for the medieval garb. The messy hair is also very nice. Regarding the textures I would suggest you make the clothing textures separate image files from the texture containing the face, hair, and arms (because they are the same between the models).
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2010-09-06 20:58
To counter the lack of fashionable clothing, newton donated his old stuff to the clonk. As of now, he looks like this:
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-09-06 21:36
looks good imo, if you ignore the clonks skin-, eye-, and haircolor. the skin looks like healthy monitor-tan (gesunde computerbräune). i hope this is just temporary ;)
i really like the trousers. was it your aim that you can see the white shirt under the green one? or will there the belt be?
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2010-09-06 21:41
Yes, I just didn't do anything to the skin or eyes yet. Showing the white shirt under the green one was my intention, but a belt might work as well..!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-06 23:34
green = overlay?
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2010-09-07 07:28
Right now, it's just green. How do overlays work in OC-Textures?
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-09-07 07:49
You can combine an overlay with the base texture pretty much any way. Have a look at the Clonk's Scene.material to see how it's done for the current Clonk.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-06 23:33
Oh hey, really, thats my shirt and my trousers :D
Parent - By pluto [de] Date 2010-09-07 01:21 Edited 2010-09-07 01:26
great Job! .o(hope my (new) graphic tablet will come soon...)

But I would like to see bigger armlets , maybe with some metal parts on them or so?!
And I'm missing those 2 nice belts. but I'm not sure if they are cooler than this white shirt.

a better contrast for the details on this shirt is sth. what you could try, too :)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-09-07 16:37
I already mentioned in IRC; very nice, but imho the shirt is too modern. I think that would look very strange alongside the current style. Perhaps you could take inspiration from this?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-07 16:50
My shirt is essentially something like this http://www.google.de/images?um=1&hl=de&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Ade%3Aofficial&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=mittelalterliches+hemd+mit+kapuze&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Under this keyword, you find many more of these rough looking cotton shirts which might look more fitting than my photograph
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-09-07 17:03
Wow, cool. :D
Parent - By pluto [de] Date 2010-09-07 17:17 Edited 2010-09-07 17:24
I like the "semi"-modern style

edit: what i would try out could look like such a chainmail-"shirt": http://blog.makezine.com/chain_mail.jpg and over this the clonk could wear an outdoor-waistcoat fitting to the trousers with lots of pockets: http://img.lederjacken24.de/default/16846.jpg (maybe this waistcoat could have short sleeves (Ärmel)

that would give him a figher/knight-touch without losing the adventurer/modern style. But I'ts only an idea
Parent - By Travis Date 2010-09-05 14:54
I think the Clonk should wear different clothes in melee and no-melee scenarios. The Melee Clonk could look like the CR Knight or something.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-10-15 16:37 Edited 2010-10-15 16:48
The new clonk model is textured and committed to the repository. Whats left to do now is to reapply the bones+animations to the model. (The grey shirt shall be the overlay area.)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-10-15 17:28
O_O

Wow! That's fantastic!
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2010-10-15 17:29
OH MY GOD THOSE EEEEEYYYEEEESSSS

no seriously, wtf! this looks awesome! i espacily like the hair and the small pocket on the trousers.

tho the pupils look ridicuclously big compared to the eye size. also, are the pupils also go into player color, or will they stay grey? random colored eyes (out of a predefined pool maybe) would also be awesome.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-10-15 18:55
I guess we plan to import this model into the existing Clonk blend file? I've managed to do this easily enough, but currently I don't have time to rig it (with university classes :/ ).
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-10-16 11:56
Model looks great :)

But a side node: Do we have some kind of color scheme here? I think the Clonk is already hard enough to make out on certain backgrounds. This model now uses even more "earthy" tones, which is bad considering that the Clonk will spent a good chunk of his time underground.
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2010-10-16 15:31
(Newton here): Could be, we'll see in tests. But anyway, if the clonk is standing "in the earth", he will be in a tunnel which is darker.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-10-16 18:01
"Darkness" is a bad thing to rely upon for distinction, because with 3D effects you will always have different shades in both the background and the model.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-03-20 14:51
Yes, I know, necromancy. But I'm curious why I am the only one seeing this. The Clonk's brightness is at the same level as the background, *and* we're using similar tones. That might be realistic and high-def and all, but for a quasi-arcade game we should really improve this. The current attire borders on what soldiers would wear as camouflage.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Clonk-looking
1 2 Previous Next