Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Obsolete: Portraits
- - By Newton [de] Date 2010-11-25 13:15 Edited 2010-11-25 13:23
I mentioned this topic earlier but during the beginning of the development we were not sure whether the portraits will be used in the future so the feature was not removed. As it turned out, portraits are not used any more.

The portraits implementation should still be functional but it can be removed completely. Additionally:
+ Options about the portraits need to be removed in the graphics options
+ Display of (player) portraits in the player selection dialogue and it's file selection should be replaced with something else (f.e. a BigIcon which may have a size similar as the portrait) or removed
+ Functions make use of the portrait need to be removed (f.e. SetPortrait) or remodelled to work with Graphics (f.e. CustomMessage)

I don't really dare to dive that deep into the engine code (as I expect the implementation to be). So anyone of the more experienced engine coders up for this?

Edit: Removed the portraits related options (from the GUI only though!)
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-11-25 15:26
I still don't really understand what the purpose of BigIcon is. The portrait should have been used for that.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-11-25 16:22
IIRC the BigIcon existed before portraits. We could rename the BigIcon.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-11-25 19:28
Not at all. (Player) Portraits were already in Clonk4, BigIcons are a weird duplicate introduced in NET2.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-11-25 20:37
Ah.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-11-25 20:44
Portraits were too large. They were deleted before the player was transferred via network. Iiirc, they also used to have no transparency and some stupid, light gray background in players created in C4/CP. So using the portraits would have resulted in pretty ugly lobby icons.

I think BigIcons also have some kind of size restriction, so people cannot put huge pictures in there (like they can do for portraits).

I don't know if the distinction is still necessary. We could drop it and just keep the BigIcon.

Still, I'd rather name it "Icon" than portrait, because it might stop people from putting large files there.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2010-11-25 21:22
Those were all fixable back then. Instead of adding a new file, players could just have swapped out their protrait. Okay, if a bigger picture for other parts of the UI is necessary, image scaling code for reduced network traffic would be extra work.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-11-25 17:33
Well, what about the portraits for the clonk in menu-dialogs? They where quite a nice thing in CR.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-11-25 20:37
CustomMessage? The portrait displayed there should be replaced by displaying a graphic there.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-11-25 20:46
Then it would be useful if there were some kind of method to identify and show just the head of a Clonk in the model (possibly animated) - like an action. Because if you just want to display a message spoken by a specific Clonk, you would have to associate a second definition just for the portrait to each Clonk type.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-11-25 22:32
Yeah, that could be done with SetGraphics + SetObjDrawTransform, right?
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-11-25 23:18
No
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-11-26 00:42
Why so?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-11-26 13:14
Can you control models that way?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-03 21:13
Perhaps a property, "PortraitTransformation", which works exactly the same as PictureTransformation, except it is used for crew objects' portraits.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Obsolete: Portraits