Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Jumping of the wall
- - By Casimir [de] Date 2010-12-08 19:15
When you climb on a wall you can use A or D to go up and S for down and you can also use W, but you can't jump.
In some situations it would be easier when you could jump of a wall. For example in the tutorial. Red arrow: you jump to the other side. Green arrow (the way it is at the moment): you go all the way around.
So why not implement jumping? You could use the W, because its not necessary for climbing upwards.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-09 04:47
Nice idea.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-09 05:24
W would not necessarily need to be removed as a control to scale up the wall; the controls could check if the player was scaling upwards when they hit A/D and cause the Clonk to jump instead of just letting go.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-12-09 11:18
Yes, this sounds more intuitive to me.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-09 12:21
Oh well, sounds better than my idea. guess I should read other replies more carefully before posting :p
Parent - - By Casimir [de] Date 2010-12-10 21:12
Yea that's much better. So there also won't be a problem with the ladder.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-11 11:29
Oh, and as for ladder, a good idea would be to make a clonk climbing it NOT start climbing a wall until he jumps off/climbs it to the top/bottom.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-12-09 11:15
But then you could also turn around midair and jump back to the wall you jumped away from at a higher. This would enable you to scale around almost any obstacle. I'm not sure if we want that, because it could make many races ridiculously easy. Unless the jump-away speed is high enough so you cannot turn around in midair.

Also, why use W to jump away? That sounds counter-intuitive to me. Why not W and S to scale up and down, and A/D (whichever points away from the wall) to jump?

Of course pressing towards the wall should cause you to scale up, so you can still have one direction pressed to walk and scale small obstacles.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-09 12:19
I dislike it a bit.
better idea would be that Holding A/D+W = jump slightly up and A/D+S = just jump off.
perhaps also pressing in direction of wall+W = horizontal jump  off wall.
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-12-09 13:55
Why not double A/D and then hold? I think, thats intuitive (the clonk might do the walljump like in CMC :p).
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Jumping of the wall