Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Properly setting up a server
- - By Anonymous [us] Date 2011-01-03 05:41
I just found this game and it is awesome!
I attempted to get a couple of people on to a quick LAN game, this worked for the most part.

However the game was really slow in the defend the windmill map even with players that were zoomed in (as zooming out caused slowdowns).
Other game types had very small slow downs as well, but not as bad.

We were using a Windows 7 computer with an i7 to serve, the clients were all over a wireless network with very good proximity to the base.
There was one Linux and one Windows client.

Is there a suggested way to serve an OpenClonk game that will allow all clients to perform at the best of their ability?

Thanks 
~Xello
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-01-03 06:49
Due to the needed synchronization between all the clients all the clients will have to adjust to the slowest one (unlike games like FPS where you can resynchronize everything if you need). So if you have one computer on your LAN that is known to lag, the others will all notice that

Other than that:
Try to set the control rate a little bit higher (not to 1 at least). You can do that in the lobby before the game (options tab) or in the game (shortcut was F4 or CTRL+F4 at some point, not sure about that right now).
If you are playing in a LAN you can try to activate the central network mode (or even the asynchronous one if you dare to ;)  ) and see whether that helps (same places where you find the control rate)
Parent - By Anonymous [us] Date 2011-01-03 08:20
Thanks for the info.

I guess thats what I get for not exploring the menus more.

Unfortunately the LAN has ended, and I have no more computers to experiment on. :(
I will try that next time we all get together.

Thanks again,
~Xello
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Properly setting up a server