Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / My fourth clonk game, and i still love it
- - By Railon [se] Date 2011-01-15 20:26 Edited 2011-01-15 20:52
My first gaming endeavours as a 10 year old was Clonk planet. Me and my friend got my dad to buy it and we almost shat our pants of exitement, but the "lobby" and things sucked so hard, but if i´m not wrong it was inproved in endeavour. Anyway, me and my friend playid et so much we could and did almost never get bored, we were even happier by Rage when multiplayer finally went real. But the years went by and we got bored by CR, and some days ago, my friend found OC! We spread it to our friends and we have started to play it a bit, we laugh our asses of sometimes by what happens, like when using the grappling hook for the first time.
I think you did really great by improving the a bit complicated controls into a easy to manage system. It still need some improvements like the chest system and the two main slots, i agree with Matthias about that.
I also miss the settlement mode like Sweatpants do and i think that with this new system you can make it more flexible and not as stiff as spamming buildings all over.
The maps are really fun, but it´s not so many maps, and it ends with only meele in the end. The overcast is the map we are playing right now because of the magic, but i think the array of items is a bit to short
though and i really hope that the magic system also expands.
The biggest problem all the clonk games has is the internet gameplay, somehow, it almost always gets laggy at some point, always, whatever you do, it gets slow or laggy

My ideas of improvement is:
-A multi-function button, like the scroll wheel. maybe for putting items from the chest directly into the backpack? Och activating switches or levers directly?
-More gamemodes/being able to choose victory conditions in meele, etc. I think it would be fun to play games like Regicide, Lamers, Stippel Hunt or Zombiewars in OC, or maybe a survival map, if AI is available? It would be great too if you could choose wich weapons you should use in the melee-maps, and enable/disable some stationare weapons like a cannon
-More items like weapons and tools if Settlement/Civilisation comes available. Maybe another pushing weapon like the jar of winds do, but you could shoot it and it then blasts (maybe an airzooka?), like the kings arrows explodes.
Altso, if you make an multi-function button, you maybe could make special funktions for weapons, like overloading the jar of winds and then makes it throwable, or making harder but slower swings on the melee weapons, making the battles more challenging.
-Contraptions, like the redstone in minecraft and the wire in earlier clonks, making it possible to build traps and oter fun mechanics, maybe making a firestone drop on someone stepping on a hidden switch or maybe detonating a dynamite pack

And now to some bugs, because i didn´t find a place to report them.

- I´m running on Windows Ultimate x64, and if i enable high resolution landscapes, it disappears, i only see some grass and the background.
- If i have the musket in one slot and the shield in the other (and use them as normal items),  the movement speed reduces when i reload, (meaning, nothing changes) but if i start reloading and then use the shield, i can walk at normal speed, but i can´t shoot earlier.
- I can stand on somebody elses shield when he uses it and looks up.

Oh, and i forgot one important thing, the praisings!

I think this game is great fun and probably the best of them all! The tutorial is good and i love the new way of the clonk as a whole, this game feels like a successful combination of Clonk Rage and Clonk Extreme. I thank the people  that have spent time on this work and shared it with everybody for free. Creds to you all!

Salute!
/Railon

Matthias post: http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=625
Sweatpants Post:http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=678
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-01-15 21:12

>- I can stand on somebody elses shield when he uses it and looks up.

That's a feature :(

PS: Always happy to hear feedback of course!
Parent - By Railon [se] Date 2011-01-15 22:12
I guessed so, but i wrote it anyway, maybe something to use in a parkour whitout jar or winds?
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2011-01-15 22:14

> And now to some bugs, because i didn´t find a place to report them.

Where did you search? Please try to remember - for someone who know where stuff it it's really hard to guess where someone who doesn't looks first. And we should have links to the bugtracker at the right places.
Parent - - By Railon [se] Date 2011-01-15 22:22
What do you mean? where i search for a bugreport-topic, and what more?
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2011-01-15 22:33
Yes. Where did you search for "a place to report [some bugs]"?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-01-15 23:51

>-Contraptions, like the redstone in minecraft and the wire in earlier clonks, making it possible to build traps and oter fun mechanics, maybe making a firestone drop on someone stepping on a hidden switch or maybe detonating a dynamite pack

I'd really like to see ideas about that. I find the ideas introduced in minecraft very interesting and perhaps OC (settlement) use some of these ideas as inspiration. I already thought about some kind of minecart-system where you put the "rails" on the tunnel wall and some metal basket is carried on it around. But I don't know, it's a bit complicated to place the tracks and all - for no real gain as a lorry+elevator could do the same probably.
But generally, introducing some electrical/machine-related material like copper? some kind of "red-stone"? could be a good idea to broaden the possible construction materials for advanced buildings, tools and machines.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-01-16 00:11

>But generally, introducing some electrical/machine-related material like copper? some kind of "red-stone"? could be a good idea to broaden the possible construction materials for advanced buildings, tools and machines.

I know we are not discussing the concepts at this points, but I would like to mention here that I'd rather have more (automated) production lines than more materials the player has to care about. (Metal+Crystal = your "Copper"; f.e.)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-01-16 01:40 Edited 2011-01-16 01:44
There is no crystal in the game.

Edit: But having more input -> one product machines/buildings in the game like sawmill and foundry are a good idea as well, in my opinion. Because generally, this would help to build some kind of technology tree not limited by research but by a working infrastructure/production line.
Parent - - By Railon [se] Date 2011-01-16 01:50
I haven´t seen more "natural" materials than ice, loam, rock and some more?
But please spare us the lorries, they´re difficult to manage when filled and hard to move in rougher terrain, maybe if you could make some liquid concrete to smoothen things up and make the cart driven by something, or maybe make pushers, like the wind-magic? Or if you could construct some kind of hangrail? then the terrain would be no problem and it could function as an elevator when standing on it.

Günther, i checked the Feedback and Ideas and General Discussions, but i didn´t find anything. so, i was a bit lazy, but where should i report in the future?

Edit: Another idea: Conveyor belts?
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2011-01-16 02:10

> Günther, i checked the Feedback and Ideas and General Discussions, but i didn´t find anything. so, i was a bit lazy, but where should i report in the future?

Ok, so Newton or ck should put a link to the bugtracker in the Feedback board description. And we might want to rework the navigation to not have submenus.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-01-16 11:12
Done.
Parent - - By Railon [se] Date 2011-01-16 13:31
Hmm, i didn't see anything new, i blame it om the iphone..
I remember one thing now, I call it an annoyance, but in the first map (can't remember the name) you parkour together and halfway you need to empty a lake or something to proceed, but if you fall down in the hole that was emptied, you can't get up! The only thing to do is restarting.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-01-16 17:24
Kamikaze Cowboys?
Parent - By Railon [se] Date 2011-01-16 20:00
No, it was Boomshire
Parent - By bahamada [de] Date 2011-01-16 01:56
I really like the idea with the rails... I also have seen this in minecraft and I thought about how it could be implemented. But it would be real fun to build rails with bezier curves and then let the lorry drive between stations... and build maybe automated production lines with that. :) This is something I missed since the early beginnings of clonk ;)
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-01-16 11:29

>for no real gain as a lorry+elevator could do the same probably.

Exact point. I remember playing a leaked version of the CR Western Train. Placing the rails was just... annoying. Lorries on rails could fit into some prebuilt situations, though.
Parent - - By Nachtschatten Date 2011-01-19 02:42

> Placing the rails was just... annoying.

Could you explain why you felt so?
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-01-20 16:04
It was okay for straight courses, but you had to move all segments to their destinations manually. Even if you used your newly built track, it took quite some time to get far. But if you wanted to go down or even up, you were lost. The Western Train was a huge thing and you had to dig enormous caves with the right inclining. Going upward was actually impossible without scripting large amounts of loam and earth.

If I'd introduce a transportation system, I'd use something like a placed on the walls. You'd build a base station which would consume the material and power, offer a trackhead to extend the system and some large buckets / barrels to transport materials and clonks, which would easily be hooked into the track.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-01-20 17:35 Edited 2011-01-20 17:39
Yeah, that sounds pretty similar to what I imagined.

How would you build/extend this system then? How would the "base station" look like, how does it consume and display the material it needs? How is it displayed what options there are to build the next section? And how do the tracks interact with lorries, workshops, foundries? I'd love to see a mockup/detailed concept for this.
Also possible: A system of tubes (air) instead of tracks where you can see the single materials float through the air. (A use of SetObjectLayer, yippie!)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-01-20 19:30

>(A use of SetObjectLayer, yippie!)

Yes, let's do it before Guenther breaks it!
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2011-01-20 20:33 Edited 2011-01-20 20:44

> A use of SetObjectLayer, yippie!

No, I'd recommend simply temporarily removing the C4D_Object category from the objects so that they don't hit anybody. And of course moving them into a different Plane. This is yet another example why using Planes for this stuff is the right thing: The objects aren't affected by solidmasks because they are behind them. They should not hit anything because they are behind the Clonks in the pipe, and the C4D_Object hack is backwards. They should be affected by explosions the same way the pipes are because they are in a Plane near them, but the Explosion script unfortunately hasn't been updated for Planes yet.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-01-20 21:07

>They should be affected by explosions the same way the pipes are because they are in a Plane near them, but the Explosion script unfortunately hasn't been updated for Planes yet.

That should be a design choice and not a limitation.
I think you should have to blow up the pipe first - you should not really blow anything "through" the pipe.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2011-01-20 23:43
When the pipe blows up, anything in it should be affected as well, but you're right, explosion-safe pipes should protect their contents.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-01-21 01:04
What's a plane?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-01-21 14:36
Is there a summary somewhere? I thought this was a general discussion and not about a concrete implementation.

What I understand from reading it vertically, Günther wants to merge or already merged the object-order (z-order), categories and object-layers into one thing (planes). While doing that, he takes the meaning out of categories and puts them into separate properties so that categories are more or less transformed into a z-ordering. However, I still find that to bind the object-layers only to that z-ordering might be problematic. If an object is in plane 5, which objects does it still hit on a hit-check? 2-8? Only 5? Who guarantees that objects that really shouldn't be able to collide still do because their z-order is too close-by? (Answer: the c4script developer, he must be able to control and ensure that)
To statically connect meaning in game mechanics to the visual display is always a bad idea.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2011-01-21 16:03 Edited 2011-01-21 16:06

> To statically connect meaning in game mechanics to the visual display is always a bad idea.

So it's a bad idea that a Clonk is hit by a rock when the rock is near in visual x/y distance on the screen to the Clonk?

As for a summary, I'll write some documentation about the object properties.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-01-21 16:41
It is a bad idea to link these attributes without offering the c4script developer a possibility to override the standard behaviour because the "rock" could also be a visual HUD element or effect that moves around the mouse cursor, a preview of a building/action to be built/done, anything.@statically

ok@summary
Parent - By Nachtschatten Date 2011-02-06 16:01
Very good, thank you. You've pretty much put all my former beta-testers to shame. It's too bad I didn't get feedback like that earlier, because this absolutely reflects my own feelings, and is why I abandoned the project (among other reasons). Oh btw, we actually had that same discussion before. :)
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / My fourth clonk game, and i still love it