Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Feature request
- - By Anonymous [us] Date 2011-01-21 07:20
My favorite clock rage mod ever was called tunnel collapse. If you didn't put supports in your tunnels, every once in a while some dirt would fall from the roof (new dirt, not existing dirt, it just spawned at the roof so it looked like collapsing debris). If you didn't maintenance your tunnels or put supports, they would eventually fill with dirt.

I thought this was amazing and I hope you guys can implement it in OC, as default or as an option to add in maps that are created by people (if the latter, i will be definitely making lots of maps with this feature turned on! :)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-01-21 11:30 Edited 2011-02-01 21:05
This old thing?

The problem with this kind of rule, is that all tunnel will fill up with dirt (ie: tunnel background will fill in with dirt even if player did not dig it out :[ ). Probably a better solution would be to use ShakeFree (Loosening material pixels) from the cave's ceiling.

Would really not be any effort to script, mind. Just if we actually want this gameplay element or not.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-01-21 14:42
I like his idea. If it doesn't happen too fast without the supports, it would also not be too annoying since it's no big deal to shovel through a tunnel later. Also, it would fill up the digged out earth with earth again (a bit)

>tunnel background will fill in with dirt even if player did not dig it out :[

Easy solution: Define in the material.c4g that if you dig or blast earth, a material does come out once in a while. Not earth chunks but helper objects which spawn some dirt falling from the roof once in a while (until the helper object is in GBackSolid or a support is nearby).
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-01-21 18:28
ShakeFree will only move the hole upwards, eventually reaching the surface. I am pretty sure that would start looking pretty bad fast. Maybe try a combination where you dig away less material than you actually spawn? The idea would be to think of the earth as being more compact before, from pressure. You could even try to measure the pressure by checking how deep inside the earth you are at that point. That would make this only a problem for deep mines.

Not completely sure though. To me it seems a bit too much on the "annoyance" side.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-02-01 19:39

>Not completely sure though. To me it seems a bit too much on the "annoyance" side.

Could definitly enrich settlement maps, or melees in which the map is wasted to fast. A possibility to stabilize some mining parts (perhaps like in that clonk endeavour loader) could avoid frustration for train sections / transport passages / elevator passages in addition.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-02-01 20:00
Having some kind of underground scenario where you have to constantly keep your tunnels free could provide a nice claustrophobic atmosphere to the whole thing (combine with lots of FoW!). But I'm not sure that it would be a good idea to have such a rule active per default. Well, maybe someone could try to implement it and then we can see whether it's worth it.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-02-01 21:04
I get back from college at 17:00 today; afterwards I could easily create the 'cave in' rule (along with support structures).
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Feature request