Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Some questions and thoughts
- - By Anonymous [de] Date 2011-02-22 09:19
Hi, I used to play Clonk 4 back in the old days. The further development of Clonk (up until Clonk Rage) more or less went past me. I took several looks again, but the newer games couldn't really "get" me. I think my main problem was this "overkill" of new stuff and, most of all, the overkill of all this meelee and fighting stuff. I liked Clonk 4 because there you could have big teamplay "build-up-a-town" games, with mining and lumber jacking and electricity to get all resources and build a "self-running" industry.

I was really happy when I heard of OpenClonk and that it will be doing a whole new start. But the development here seems also mainly going in the "fighting" direction. I just tried the OC 1.2, but all it gives me are melee scenarios. Will there be also friendly "Settlers-like" maps in the future?

So, and now some questions, just out of curiosity:
1) OC 1.2 looks like a game on it's own (new controls, new graphics engine, new content) - is there something of the original Redwolf code left?
2) What about the "auto generating" of maps? I was hoping to have the possibility to start with one single clonk in an yet unknown and untouched land and build up some houses and mine resources.
3) is there a roadmap?

What I really like about OC is the "community friendlyness". You have nightly builds, 64 bit builds, a blog, a forum for unregistered and a very nice website. That's great. :)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-02-22 16:58
1) except for the engine, no. See FAQ
2) That feature still exists
3) Not really, yet. However, it is pretty clear that now that the melee part is more or less done, development of settlement, exploration, castles and so on will be started. We are actually in the idea-gathering and concept-finding phase now. You can look through the forums and have a say yourself.
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2011-02-22 18:04
Thanks for your answer.

To 2) Does it exist in OC 1.2 for the user to be used? Or does it only exist "invisible" until the devs enable it? I couldn't find it in OC 1.2.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2011-02-22 19:02
There is no GUI for that yet but you can still create the scenario from scratch with the according entries in the scenario.txt
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Some questions and thoughts