Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Materials containing liquids
- - By ala [de] Date 2011-02-27 15:02
In Clonk materials have certain attributes, like for example how much pixels are casted after an explosion has taken place. With this feature, an explosion around earth material casts earth pixels around.

Now here is a familiar thought: What would be if material would contain another materials inside it with a reduced ratio?

- especially earth, containing water is very interesting: If you start mining a new material which would be called "soaked earth" some sort of ground water might flood your mine with every earth pixel you are loosening from the landscape - a new aspect about mining has been created: ground water.

If you think more about it, it should feel kind of natural as well that soaking material (Sand, ash, earth etc) should contain a bit of the liquid around it's area. So around a volcano one might dig free a bit of lava near the actually lava stream.

Ok here is a small liquid-material system, which uses the material changing trick which granite uses for beeing a hard material.

1. Water falls from the sky and moves around - it eventually comes to rest at a certain place and forms a small stream or a pond. If earth (or another soaking material) is around just as the pixel comes to stand still, the earth in x-pixel ratio get turned into "soaked earth", which is a new material which will cast water pixels if digged out. With this method, liquids can soak certain materials around them.

2. No we introduce a component which is similar to the material changing that ice and water already have: Each x-time-interval soaked materials will give free the liquid-pixel they are containing, and will return to beeing earth. The liquid pixels will be created below the old pixel (if possible).

Benefits:
-If the material is floating we get a flowstone cave :)
-If solid material is below the soaking material, the water is released and soaked in again - because the liquid can't be moved below.
-if earth or another soaking material is below the material the water will be passed downwards :)

3. Balancing:
Now the amount of water could be reduced slightly with every time it is soaked up. This could be done by creating several earth types: Example: Earth (dry), earth(wet 10% water), earth(soaked, like 25% water). Liquids from the sky would create a slow evolving tickle through the earth this way: Pond -> below is soaked earth, below is wet earth, below is dry earth. As well as this ground water reservoirs would be created naturally.

4. Optional ideas: -Material which is around sky could dry out faster. Sand soaks more, earth less? Whatever will fit.

Gameplay benefits:
-improved or more intresting mining challange if certain materials are used.
-ground water / flowstone caves / soaked water and stuff could be used for the economy, for farming and for trees - acidid earth would the counterpart of it.
-liquids were one of the mayor hassles in previous clonk titles - with this system sand could be used for drying the base for example.
-perhaps a base for further water physics.

Well, what do you think?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-02-27 15:35
Why not simply put single water pixels into the earth in the landscape?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-02-27 15:47
Let's say soaked earth should contain 90% liquid: Putting 9 out of 1 pixels to water does not make it look like earth anymore :)

PS: I would really like Peter's pressure system!
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-02-27 17:44
That's basically the same as Water with a 10% part of earth, which wouldn't really be earth anymore, but instead water with a little bit of dirt in it. Like, muddy water.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-02-27 20:01
I don't think your link ended up where intended. ;D
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-02-27 23:59
Or did it? ;-)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-02-27 20:16
Except you can't swim in it and flints explode when hitting it.

I think this is mainly about the visuals/feelings, since you could of course also make mining more difficult by just adding layers of underground water: But you could also just have one solid material and have chunks of gold (the objects) inside it - with the same effect of having an extra material "gold" :)

I don't say whether I am supporting this idea at the moment. I am also doubtful there.
Parent - - By Kizzurazzgabi [us] Date 2011-02-28 06:49
Hmm, that would be cool, water slowly sinks into the earth and floods underground tunnels?

I have a similar thought, lava mixes with dirt creating healthy soil. so around places where there was lava, plants grow twice as fast. you can dig this soil and just like dirt clogs and snowballs in previous Clonks you can throw it and it becomes land. This could add a farm/aspect to the game if you put a lot of soil in a spot and plant stuff(wompfberries?) in the soil. :)
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2011-02-28 12:54
This doesn't need any special material changes. Lava already turns into ashes, so just make all plants grow faster in ashes.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-02-28 14:43
It sounds like a nice-to-have thing and many tried to implement something likely already for CR.

But as described here, I see some difficulties in storing the information. Any of the (true) engine devs, could that be done?
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Materials containing liquids